Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:34 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
The one thing that I keep seeing "come up" in the 55+ community forums is that fact that there seems to be a HUGE difference in what some of us are discussing.....all under the 55+ housing threads.

If you are talking about a 55+ SUBSIDIZED housing, I have no idea. For those in need of a rental subsidized housing find, I would imagine there are LOTS of potential restrictions that would not apply to those who CHOOSE to live in a 55+ community which has no financial assistance.

For those of us talking about an age restricted community that is personally owned housing and NOT subsidized, then there should be no more restrictions than normal "non age restricted" housing in the area. For example, 3 pets per home can sometimes be a limit imposed, or no "aggressive" breeds, but not size of animal that I am aware of.
Good post! Thank you for pointing out the fact that there are different flavors of 55+.

In the 55+ in which I live, which is one of the Del Webb/Sun City communities, there is no restriction as to breeds or size. The "number and species" of pets allowed is that of the local city in which we're located. In fact, the local city's policies, rules, laws, etc., supersede our CC&Rs and pets are just one category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 09:37 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
The 55+ where I live, the limit for dogs is 30 lbs.
So is it your privately owned home or a rental subsidized apt that requires you to be 55+ to apply???

I just feel that two VERY different housing choices keep getting lumped together and sometime we are giving advice to someone that is not even referring to a life "style" choice vs a life "need" option as we age. While I am most grateful that some kind of rental assistance is there for those that need it as we age, we are referring to two very, very different 55+ living areas.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:55 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
In one large regular 55+ community I have looked at, most, if not all, of the walls are too low for anything larger than a small dog. So they essentially limit dog size without saying so explicitly. You cannot raise the walls. I guess you could keep the dog leashed all the time when it's outside.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
We live in a 55+ community and had to put up our own fence. It works fine for our 82 lb dog. Again, NOT a rental subsidized community, you have to be able to afford your home and your monthly HOA dues to enjoy all the bennies of living in a very nice, very good amenities offered gated community.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I would really think about waiting, if possible. Having a 10 year old lab that size can often mean health issues, life expectancy being 10-12 years. Our Golden is 13, and still pretty healthy but we don't expect him to make it until we
retire in 4-6 years, and we will not consider getting another dog until after we have moved. We plan to base our downsized home on where we want to live, rather than to be limited by a pet.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:21 PM

210 posts, read 382,329 times
We are moving to a gated community of one story condos in Sun City center FL. The rules vary by association (neighborhood). Some don't allow pets, others restrict size, others allow only one pet. You need to read the listings to make sure you are getting what you need. I have seen several larger goldens, so I know they are allowed in some of the neighborhoods. We have no restrictions on size in our area, but most of the dogs I have seen are under 50 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement