U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 09:00 AM

284 posts, read 259,150 times

Advertisements

I just know that 2 months post injury, with pain so bad I couldn't walk on it, I now have what I'd consider relatively little pain. It's more like a dull ache in my knee that radiates down the upper side of my calf when I've been on my feet for a while. I've been taking a curricumin (tumeric) supplement and concentrated fish oil daily along with a prescription anti-inflamatory as needed. My doc says physical therapy won't help, it won't heal itself and I'll feel much better after the surgery. Ok, but then why is it so much better now and do I give it more time to continue to improve on its own? Once that tissue is cut out, it will never come back. I'm just skeptical that surgeons too often rush to operate. As you can see, I'm really "torn"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 09:16 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
I just know that 2 months post injury, with pain so bad I couldn't walk on it, I now have what I'd consider relatively little pain. It's more like a dull ache in my knee that radiates down the upper side of my calf when I've been on my feet for a while. I've been taking a curricumin (tumeric) supplement and concentrated fish oil daily along with a prescription anti-inflamatory as needed. My doc says physical therapy won't help, it won't heal itself and I'll feel much better after the surgery. Ok, but then why is it so much better now and do I give it more time to continue to improve on its own? Once that tissue is cut out, it will never come back. I'm just skeptical that surgeons too often rush to operate. As you can see, I'm really "torn"

I agree. That was why I said no to replacement. Once gone it will never be the same. Physical therapy itself will not help excercise will. Use low impact work outs and stay away from weights on it. It is basically strengthen the muscles supporting the knee while minimizing the damage and pressure from impact and weights. Your supplements are good.

I was offered cortizone shots too and I declined. That only masks the pain and desolves some scale deposits like bone spurs. That worked fantastic on my heels. I had some bone spurs and in two days those were gone and I was pain free in my heels.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:30 AM

30 posts, read 27,820 times
12 years of competitive hard court tennis, softball, marching band, horseback riding, motorcycle riding, mountain biking, road biking, surfing, etc., etc. wrecked my knees. (Oh yeah, and working with and getting beat up by severely autistic and MI patients didn't help either.) Had my first scope in 1996. Followed by another in 1998. If I had to do over I would have waited to try to rehab and strengthen the knee first and see how it felt after six months. Studies are now showing that sx isn't always required. After the first scope my knee was way worse. It's never been the same. I've been living with it all this time but now I'm looking at replacement.

I spoke with a lady who is our anesthesia nurse. Super smart about med stuff. She has always given me the best advice. She recently recommended the chicken injections. She did them and it gave her 2/3 years before she had to have sx.

If your knee is feeling better and the pain is not unbearable, maybe wait to see how it feels in a few months. Knee strengthening and ROM exercises can help.

**My personal experience only. Not giving medical advice**

Old 03-18-2015, 10:41 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,522,564 times
Not me, but a former significant other had knee damage of several years from a car accident. A couple of days before he was due to go for surgery, he saw a chiropracter. He wound up cancelling the scheduled surgery, and in the end never needed it.

I don't expect that would happen in all cases, but it might be worth a try.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM

1,509 posts, read 969,613 times
Quote:
In my case, the orthopedic doc gave me the scenarios without surgery and with surgery on my shoulder. A good surgeon would do that. Right now my shoulder doesn't bother me much, but there are certain motions which would set off the pain (for example, reaching into a car trunk and pulling out luggage, or pushing open a car door. Certain motions are limited (I can't shoot a basketball like I used to). I can't lift as much weight as I'd like. PT is supposed to increase my range of motion, but the tear will never heal. Can I live with the limited motion and pain? Will the PT make things livable? That's what I have to figure out.

It may be that things are fine until that next shot of pain. You may want to get a second opinion with another doctor. If you go through PT, you also may want to discuss with them. They are pretty knowledgeable and have seen a lot of knee problems. My discussions with them and my doctor pretty much aligned, so I should have received good advice and will be able to make an informed decision.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM

284 posts, read 259,150 times
Thanks everybody! I just scheduled a 2nd opinion for tomorrow. I want to make sure all options are explored before I have surgery. My ortho doc is supposed to be one of the best around, but it bothers me that he says he can't tell the extent of the tears until he's in there, yet says physical therapy won't do me any good. Hmmm... anyway, I'll feel better about my decision this way.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:49 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Quote:
Thanks everybody! I just scheduled a 2nd opinion for tomorrow. I want to make sure all options are explored before I have surgery. My ortho doc is supposed to be one of the best around, but it bothers me that he says he can't tell the extent of the tears until he's in there, yet says physical therapy won't do me any good. Hmmm... anyway, I'll feel better about my decision this way.

Drift while you are right in talking to another for a second opinion. The surgeon is correct. He really cannot tell the true extent of the injury. No amount of MRI or CAT scans can truly tell what a visual can tell. He can tell there is damage but exactly how deep or how many actual cuts/tears is not knowable.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:56 PM

45 posts, read 36,577 times

Just my experience.

I had my right knee scoped for a meniscus tear four years ago at 55 and was jogging in about a month. No problem since.

Left kneescoped for the same thing last October and still recovering even after almost 6months. Limited to 20 minute walks now. Still swelling above the knee with arthritic type of stiffness.

Prior to the last surgery, had cortisone shots, rested, and physical therapy for 2 months. But pain and swelling increased as range ofmotion decreased.

Now, the pain is so much less than before the scope, I viewed having the surgery a no-brainerfor me. Not sure why the difference in recovery time. Could be because I'm 4 years older, or the fact that I’ve have done lesslower body weight lifting (squats) since the 1 knee scope and my leg muscles were not as strong for the recovery as before. The Doc is also going to send me for a peripheral arterydisease (PAD) test to check the blood flow down there.

Hopefully will get better with time.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:09 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,031 times
Quote:
I injured my knee playing tennis in January. Couldn't walk on it for 2 days. Had an MRI and was told I had lateral and medial tears. Waited until last week to follow up with Doc and am scheduled to be "scoped" next week. I understand that the meniscus doesn't really heal, but I am soooo much better now than when it happened. I do have an aching discomfort when I've been standing or walking much, but I'm just not sure it warrants surgery. On the other hand, I'm 55 and don't want to be on anti-inflamatories the rest of my life and possibly risk more arthritis setting in. I'm really on the fence about what to do and would love to hear advice from those of you who have had this procedure, positive and negative, and when you decided it was time for surgery.
Four months before my 60th birthday I injured my knees by squatting the wrong way while lowering a very heavy load. The next day I was in pain, couldn't walk, saw doctor, took X-Rays, an MRI revealed a torn menicus. The orthopedic surgeon recommended arthroscopy (of course). When he said there was "no guarantee" for the outcome I made my choice to not undergo the surgery and to not take the prescribed NSAIDS.

There was inflammation. There was discomfort. I was eligible for retirement and went for it

I had physical therapy which helped tremendously. In time, the inflammation subsided without my having to endure drugs. Fast forward to now.... I'm 76 years old and have no knee pain. I can walk, climb stairs; I avoid running or jumping. I think I made the right decision for me

Old 03-18-2015, 07:33 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,734,429 times
I am another one for whom the surgery was recommended after the MRI showed meniscus tear. I was told it would probably never heal on its own by both the physical therapist and the orthopedic doctor. I decided to do the knee exercises diligently and give it one year before making a decision. A year has passed and there is absolutely no residual pain in my knee. It's just gone and completely normal again. I think we all want instant results sometimes but I'm glad I didn't get the surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or