U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:22 AM

284 posts, read 259,870 times

Advertisements

I injured my knee playing tennis in January. Couldn't walk on it for 2 days. Had an MRI and was told I had lateral and medial tears. Waited until last week to follow up with Doc and am scheduled to be "scoped" next week. I understand that the meniscus doesn't really heal, but I am soooo much better now than when it happened. I do have an aching discomfort when I've been standing or walking much, but I'm just not sure it warrants surgery. On the other hand, I'm 55 and don't want to be on anti-inflamatories the rest of my life and possibly risk more arthritis setting in. I'm really on the fence about what to do and would love to hear advice from those of you who have had this procedure, positive and negative, and when you decided it was time for surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 10:44 AM

23 posts, read 32,712 times
Go for it. I had one done years ago and it gave me so much relief. Recently I had to get a total knee replacement and after 6 months, no pain. Medical advancements are wonderful

Old 03-17-2015, 10:59 AM

1,522 posts, read 979,589 times
I just turned 57 and had a basketball "career ending" injury 7 months ago. I was playing in a league and backed a smaller guy down in the post. Because he was shorter, I was lower than usual, cleared space with my butt (if you know basketball, you would understand) and turned left to push off. Left knee said NO! I tore my patella tendon along with a bunch of ligaments around the kneecap (not the same as yours). Fortunately no ACL/MCL injuries. Surgery 4 days later, 9 weeks in a soft cast with hinge, finishing up my PT right now. It was a bad injury and I was lucky my recovery has been great. Strength is about 75% but I have full range of motion in the knee with "aggressive" physical therapy. Normal recovery for such an injury is 10-12 months. I do hope to get back on the court but won't be playing in a league any more. Just to get some exercise.

I guess what I am saying is that we can still recover from major injury at our age. For me, if the doctor tells me it won't get any better with therapy (I fell on my shoulder when I hurt my knee and have to contemplate another surgery for a 6mm rotator cuff tear) then I think you should consider surgery. Also, do you want to live with the pain? I know a guy about the same age as me who had his ACL reconnected and plays golf all the time (even played basketball for a while but quit). It is important to be diligent with your post surgery therapy and don't be afraid to push yourself a little to get results.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 03-17-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,047,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
I injured my knee playing tennis in January. Couldn't walk on it for 2 days. Had an MRI and was told I had lateral and medial tears. Waited until last week to follow up with Doc and am scheduled to be "scoped" next week. I understand that the meniscus doesn't really heal, but I am soooo much better now than when it happened. I do have an aching discomfort when I've been standing or walking much, but I'm just not sure it warrants surgery. On the other hand, I'm 55 and don't want to be on anti-inflamatories the rest of my life and possibly risk more arthritis setting in. I'm really on the fence about what to do and would love to hear advice from those of you who have had this procedure, positive and negative, and when you decided it was time for surgery.
Maybe that's a question to bring up to your orthopedic doc? I say that because I had a similar experience a number of years ago- excruciating pain in one knee that would come and go- usually showed up when I wasn't in a position to do much about it- at an out-of town meeting, or when I was traveling, or didn't want to take time off work. I'd schedule my doses of Ibupropen or Aleve for when I knew I'd be on the road and not able to rest, but the stupid thing got so bad I finally called around to find an orthopedic doctor who said he would see old ladies ( mid-50's at that point) with bum knees. In that area (Miami) the orthopedic docs were so specialized ( many in sports injuries, or in specific joint issues, it seemed) that it was hard to find someone who would see me for at least six weeks or so.

So I saw the doctor, and they did an X-ray in his office to check for arthritis ( he said he didn't see much if any arthritis, so that was good), and he ordered an MRI. It took about a month to get the results of that MRI, and another month after that to get a followup appointment with the orthopedic doc. It seemed I dave a torn meniscus, but while the knee had been killing me when I had the MRI, it got to feeling much better by the time I saw the doctor again. He offered me the arthroscopic surgery, but also said that if the knee was feeling better I could wait to see what happened with it. Well, I decided to wait, and it got to where the knee really didn't hurt much, and then not at all, most of the time. Fortunately, it never did get worse again, although I do feel a slight ache in the knee, (actually both knees) and it still smarts just a little when I go down stairs ( not walking on level ground or up stairs). I never had the surgery, and don't feel the need to do so now.

I"ve read that depending on the location and size of the tear in the meniscus, it can heal over time- resting and ice, with oral anti-inflammatories can help a great deal, and that's also what I did when mine got bad, and have done so again when I've had some pain. The surgery may be more indicated when the torn meniscus contributes to immobility, or even knee joint instability ( causing the knee to "buckle" and the patient to fall), but it's really an individual decision between the patient and the doctor.

These days, when I occasionally have a little knee pain, I take a single dose of naproxen sodium ( two 220 mg tablets) and that takes care of it- along with the other joint aches I get sometimes- I have a chronic bursitis in my left shoulder that flares up sometimes). I don't have to take it often. And what I've found has helped my knees ( and other joints, including the shoulders) immensely is the exercise I do on the elliptical/recumbent bike for approximately 45-50 minutes five or six days a week ( I have that equipment in our spare room so no excuses or travel time to get to the gym).

Here's a link to the Mayo Clinic site which will tell you everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask about torn meniscuses ( menisci?), including the option for surgery or medication..

Torn meniscus Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

Good luck with your knee(s)

Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 PM

1,665 posts, read 1,871,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post

I also have a torn meniscus on my left inner knee. I went to 2 different orthopedic surgeons. One recommended the microscopic surgery and the other one told me to leave it alone.

It was really hurting me at times. I started taking glucosamine supplements. After a few weeks the pain and discomfort went away and the knee has felt fine. I work out at the gym on a regular basis. No problem with running. After gym workouts it does get a little sore but gone the next day.

I am still on the fence about having the surgery. I know the meniscus is still torn and I'm worried it may come back when I'm older and on medicare. Part of me is hoping that the problem comes back now so it will be easier for me to make a decision.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:50 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,540,251 times
I had back to back tears in my Left Knee (2012)....practically ended up removing the Inboard Miniscus (as per Doc)....had the Right Knee done almost a year ago, and I can tell you the Right Knee will never be the same....always some level of discomfort...on a scale of 1-10....3 on a good day. The Left flares up now and then, but the Right one is just no good. Going back for a one year check up in a month or so. Hit 50 y/o and started fallin' apart

Old 03-17-2015, 06:14 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,065,022 times
I had this knee surgery quite a few years ago (after enduring many years of pain off and on) and it was a very easy surgery to have and recover from and you can walk right away (as I recall I used crutches maybe one day). Had to go for PT for like 6 weeks. But I would highly recommend having it done. I remember thinking, why did I suffer with this for so long! Go for it!!!

Old 03-17-2015, 11:09 PM

18,835 posts, read 4,947,443 times
The arthroscopic surgery didn't work for me, I had a total knee replacement
and that did work, had it done 2 yrs ago, No pain from right after the surgery.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:57 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,540,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
The arthroscopic surgery didn't work for me, I had a total knee replacement
and that did work, had it done 2 yrs ago, No pain from right after the surgery.
No pain from right after the surgery ??...you were able to get up on your feet right away ??....recovery period ??

Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,852,811 times
My knee story.

I was an avid runner doing 5 miles a day just for the fun of it. One day my knee gave way. Basically the way it felt is the top bone (thigh bone) went forward while the lower bones stayed put. I didn't know it at the time but I had folded the meniscus in half on that incident. I stopped walked it off and took a few days off from running. When I returned to running all felt fine so I didnt think much of it. It was several years later that my knee began to pain me again.

I am in the army and old school. I just sucked up and drove on. I didn't want to be medically retired so I just stopped running for any except for the annual fitness test. Those of you who are or were in the military can relate to all of this.

Well one day after my last NCO academy that required passing of the fitness test to attend I went to a surgeon who told me the news that I had folded the meniscus. He said I had shredded it and he had to remove about 2/3's of it. I was no longer going to be able to run. I got the army to give me an exemption to do a walk for my test instead of run. It is harder but I kept maintaining my readiness.

So how the surgery went. I was on my feet in 2 day with some discomfort. I would ice it down twice a day. I was at work in a week. I could have been sooner but... I had plenty of time built up so I used the week.

Since then I have had an MRI. It still will not let me run longer then 1 mile before my knee begins to swell. It is bone on bone impact. The doctor looking at the MRI wanted to schedule me for a knee replacement but I am waiting for as long as I can. He did say after I pressed him (saying I am not in pain) if I didn't run on my knee would it last 10 years? 15? 18? before I really needed it? he said probably. So I said I will see you in that time.

You see I am not in pain. I can do my job and my knee is the least painful part of my body now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or