U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:15 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,599,001 times

Advertisements

I think most public libraries have some sort of "Friends of the Library" group which does used book sales. We gave boxes and boxes of books to our local library for that. They really appreciated it as now days at least the local group has found the donations are down. People are reading digitally now and not as many paper books out there to donate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 12:41 PM

381 posts, read 352,755 times
I have posted this info in another thread: I scheduled 1-800-GOT-JUNK one week ahead; two strong guys and a truck came; at the end of the day all junk was gone. All old oil, car parts, china, linens, furniture, Christmas, EVERYTHING. I marked with stickers what I did not want them to take. My house was very bare. Next week I put it on the market and it sold immediately. GOT-JUNK charges by the 1/4 truck load or full truck.....my house with basement filled the truck. Paid $500 I believe, maybe more, but it was so worth it. My professional moving costs from Colorado to Texas was $5000 less than when we moved to Colorado five years earlier. I also have back trouble and DH has dementia and I knew my sons did not want to spend their vacation hauling JUNK. That is all it was: JUNK.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:51 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,191,335 times
I have 1 1/2 years before my cross country move so I am just starting the divesting myself of "stuff". I have over 50 boxes of stuff to go through. I've set a goal of a box a week and want to reduce the number to < 10 boxes by the time I'm finished. The bigger project will be the clothes. I can't wait until I can get rid of most of my "business" clothes and concentrate on just weekend stuff.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:00 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,306,152 times
OTOH you have the 'one man's junk is another man's treasure.'

Being a china and glass junkie I would have scrutinized that stuff and sold it, but some folks don't have the chutzpa for it.

One box a week is a good and realistic goal, RetireMB. Be glad you have the time.

Off to take photos of the tractor parts in this dismantle for ebay. Keep plugging away, all.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:53 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,041,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Can you bring them to her ALF?

That really would be the best idea. Ask the ALF if your mother's paintings could be used to decorate her room, the hallway, a recreation or dining room, just scatter them throughout the place and let your mom enjoy them. And if they say just a few, then maybe you could rotate her paintings each month.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:26 PM

9,685 posts, read 15,871,097 times
It gets easier as it goes on!

There are some things I would never part with, and I'm entitled to keep some things from my life. I've already identified them and wrapped, labeled, and put in a storage unit.

But I've found many items I thought had sentimental value really didn't. I unloaded several boxes of "stuff", and I already can't remember what I purged. Its not like I'm grieving for them!

But, there are a few items I would grieve for, so, I just keep them. We can't be expected to just throw away our whole lives! I like the idea of taking pictures of items we don't want to part with, but don't have the room to keep. Actually, I suggested that a few years back, in another thread. I recommended making a scrapbook of sorts, along with the picture have a little explanation of what it is and why you cherish it. I believe I called it a "Reader's Digest" version of your life.

But I do find that many items simply don't matter as much as I thought they would. I'm selling some items that have more monetary than sentimental value. Its a long process, but we have time, just that its important to get started. There's no one to leave such to. My kids are not at the age it would matter to them, they would either donate them, or, sell them for the cash. So, why shouldn't I get the cash? After all, I still need to buy burial niches, if I can't tak it with me, I'm not leaving it for someone else!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
I have posted this info in another thread: I scheduled 1-800-GOT-JUNK one week ahead; two strong guys and a truck came; at the end of the day all junk was gone. All old oil, car parts, china, linens, furniture, Christmas, EVERYTHING. I marked with stickers what I did not want them to take. My house was very bare. Next week I put it on the market and it sold immediately. GOT-JUNK charges by the 1/4 truck load or full truck.....my house with basement filled the truck. Paid $500 I believe, maybe more, but it was so worth it. My professional moving costs from Colorado to Texas was $5000 less than when we moved to Colorado five years earlier. I also have back trouble and DH has dementia and I knew my sons did not want to spend their vacation hauling JUNK. That is all it was: JUNK.
This is, by far, the most efficient way to do it

Perhaps the most expense up front, but more than pays back when you can sell the house quickly. However, you give up giving your chance to go through things, sort, etc. Just depends on how you live. If you're a young, single person who doesn't accumulate much stuff, or if you're in the unfortunate position of cleaning out/selling a deceased person's home, then GotJunk is probably your best option.

Or, you could do a purge, sort, separate your treasures from trash, then let them go at it.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I have 1 1/2 years before my cross country move so I am just starting the divesting myself of "stuff". I have over 50 boxes of stuff to go through. I've set a goal of a box a week and want to reduce the number to < 10 boxes by the time I'm finished. The bigger project will be the clothes. I can't wait until I can get rid of most of my "business" clothes and concentrate on just weekend stuff.

My mother passed away suddenly, and lived in another state. It was at least fortunate she was just renting an apartment and the lease was just about up, so we didn't have that issue. We hired a moving company to pack up everything and ship it down to us, we were in Texas at the time. It came to about 300 boxes That's how much it can add up when not sorted. We stored it in a storage unit for about 2 years, and sorted 1-2 boxes at a time. Thank goodness she had plenty of life insurance to cover the packing, shipping, and storage.

Advice for anyone getting near retirement---de-clutter as much as you can reasonably part with. It will never be perfect, but realize that stuff will end up costing somebody big bucks just to process it.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:41 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,836,669 times
I can sympathize with most of you. When my Dad passed and my mother had to go to ALF we had someone approach us about buying their house. My parents both being from the depression age saved absolutely everything. We ended up having 3 huge garage sales and got rid of a lot of it (I couldn't believe what people will buy) but still had a ton of stuff that we brought home for more garage sales. And that was after we go rid of several pickup truck loads of stuff. You wouldn't believe how many cardboard boxes they had! Then several years later we decided to downsize our house and also was cleaning out MIL house as well because she went to ALF. More pickup truck loads and more garage sales. Now we are moving again! Luckily most of what we still have we want to keep, but there are things that we haven't used for awhile and are going.

The biggest hassle I find is that DH is really gung ho on getting rid of stuff......as long as it's MY stuff. Nothing of his is ever junk. We get into more arguments about that point. I finally got him to agree to get rid of an electric typewriter that hasn't been used in about 6 years. Still more stuff but I keep my mouth shut to keep the peace.

MaryleeII.......I can totally sympathize with you. I spent 1.5 years in such severe pain that it was ridiculous. I thought it was my back but when I went to the back ortho and he took x-rays he discovered that my hip was totally gone. I can remember the day it went bone on bone, 1.5 years before. We didn't have insurance at that time so took that long to get it diagnosed. Then I had to wait 4 more months to have the surgery. The next info is not to scare you, but be aware things can go wrong. During surgery they damaged my femoral nerve and I am still on my walker almost 5 months later, but getting better very slowly but it's very frustrating and depressing. Everyone else I talked to had absolutely no problems. Anyway, that has caused a whole passel of problems with this move as DH has had to pack everything himself. I finally talked him into using a mover for most of the stuff, but it was not easy. He still insisted on packing most of it himself and let the movers pack up the kitchen. I'm praying that all goes well with you.

I'm guessing that once we get there more stuff will go, but will fight that battle when it comes up. I had more problems with DD when we got rid of her stuffed animals, and she was in college! Luckily the one she really wanted was one that I had kept so that made her feel a bit better. I got rid of probably 80% of my collectibles, but I like pretty things so did keep some of them. They are in cabinets so don't need dusted too often. Our biggest thing that we can't decide what to do with is some limited edition prints. The market on them is really bad but we just can't bear to give them away. At least they store flat.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:22 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,306,152 times
MaryLee, it is important that you know rothbear had the frontal replacement method. Now the rear (anterior?) method is preferred and less invasive, make sure you go that route.

I am gled to hear you are getting past the 'grieving' stage of getting rid of your stuff.

rothbear, your Dh should be packing all his stuff that he won't part with. Boo on him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or