U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 02:22 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,836,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
MaryLee, it is important that you know rothbear had the frontal replacement method. Now the rear (anterior?) method is preferred and less invasive, make sure you go that route.
Actually it is just the opposite. I had posterior and the preferred is anterior (front). I just found out about a week ago that the ortho group now has a new surgeon who uses the anterior method which I didn't have the choice of before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
Oh, sorry I messed that up, thanks for clarifying

Either way it's scary which is why DH is waiting for better quality docs when we move. Do research the doc of choice, OP, get word of mouth referalls if you can.

OP and rothbear, please keep me posted on your downsizing. We are really ramping it up getting his tractors dismantled and the parts sold in time for June.

Also what moving method you will be using. I'm all over the map on that one.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:52 AM

86 posts, read 94,807 times
I've cleaned out homes of elderly and deceased relatives. We saved war memoribilia, photos, recipies, linens, some glassware and silverware... Only what was usable and did not take much space. If we could not use it, it is gone in one way or another. What changed my lifestyle the most after those couple of years of 'saying goodbye' was the waste.... So much money spent by us children and by them in buying unwanted, unusable 'stuff' appliances, clothes, doodas... Etc.... i am liberated now... I won't spend hundreds at Christmas, birthdays, or impulse buying and constantly make trips to goodwill to donate something we are no longer using, be it a blouse, shirt shoes.... And.. Sometimes I even buy something there if i truly need it. I enjoy my clutter free, debt free lifestyle.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 AM

9,682 posts, read 15,867,988 times
Ok, its time to slow down a bit. Once the de-clutter bug hits, its possible to go too far in the opposite direction and get rid of things you regret later. That's why its good to start de-cluttering at least 1-2 years in advance of the actual retirement.

I stopped short of getting rid of my mother's china cabinet. I will probably get rid of it later, but right now its become a bit overwhelming. Don't get rid of something just for the sake of getting rid of it. Do make sure you're ok with it emotionally. Too much at once can have a backfire effect.

That's why I sometimes feel for those people on Hoarders. True, they never should have allowed the situation to reach the point it did to begin with, but expecting them to make so many decisions in the course of a TV show is a big strain on anyone, especially one who is suffering a mental disorder to begin with.

We are renting a storage unit, for things we truly need but simply won't fit into an apt. I'm making a picture inventory of what's in there, so I can go through the pictures later, and decide if I really want to keep it. Sometimes, you need to back off and look at things from a different perspective.

Its important to recognize and acknowledge the true stress that moving is. Downsizing is also a true stress. Put the two together, and it can blow up in a serious manner. I saw my parents stressed to the max trying to move, downsize, all in a short time time frame. My father had a heart attack and died several months afterwards. Perhaps, for them, it might have been better if they took it in steps:

get a storage unit and start moving stuff a little at a time, knowing you can always second-guess items. Perhaps in a few months, without it in your daily environment, it won't have the same meaning, and you won't think its worth the cost of storage!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:16 PM

84 posts, read 118,769 times
We started decluttering 2 years before we planned to move and wound up downsizing to an apartment one-third the size of our former home; we're now looking at a place in an intentional community that would be 200 square feet bigger than our apartment.

Some of it was easy: I have a progressive visual impairment that made many of my books difficult to read, and most of my hobbies a source of vexation rather than pleasure. My sewing and knitting supplies were gifted to younger friends, my books largely replaced with electronic editions whose text could be resized as needed.

Some of it was hard: my husband is a tech guy and never got rid of a piece of software. Even if we didn't have a machine that would run it. Between us we reduced a literal basement-full of outdated software and hardware to 6 boxes, recycling everything we didn't keep through our previous city's electronics recycling program. (Those boxes have not been opened in the last year, and I have hopes that as our potential "last home" will be on an island, the thought of the moving costs will encourage him to let go of a bit more.)

Some of it was heartbreaking: there's no room in our current place for my big oak dining set, or the freestanding kitchen storage. The former went to a family that fosters children; the day they came to pick it up, they told me that they'd found out that morning that three brothers were coming to them that night and they'd been worried about where they'd seat everyone. A dear friend bought the kitchen pieces, as they matched others she already had. So I know everything's being put to use by good people, but every so often I still feel a pang at the thought of my son and my friends' children eating lunch there, and later staying up half the night playing board games . . . .

But it is what it is. Two people didn't need 3400 square feet, and we didn't want to retire in that city. The couple who bought it were our son's age, their parents lived in the area, and they planned on starting a family soon; better that I focus on what I can do now, rather than dwelling on what I did.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:26 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,028,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
For many reasons, we will be moving a few years before retirement. We're downsizing a bit early, but better too early than too late. I saw my parents literally forced by circumstances to move before they were really ready. I do believe the stress decreased their lives by about 10 years

......why am I crying? Its just stuff....

Because I'm packing my life away. Times that will never come again, my little ones and their childhood, our happy times, we are now growing old and this brings it all home...

Thx for starting this thread. I quoted the above portion of your post because although our situations are different, I can so relate to the sentiment. I'm being forced by circumstances & am overwhelmed. I want to move, really I do. I just wish it was on MY timeline, not circumstance's timeline. And I bet most of us can agree that "just stuff" carries a lot of weight - for good or for bad. I hope life will bring you new memories to make... & those times that will never come again? Maybe that leaves room for new times, new experiences. Looking forward to reading the comments in this thread.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
'Treasure the old memories, and make new ones.' -Mom (mine)

The 'pangs' will come; my mom went by her old house and it has been razed. She was sad.

I told her it was a new beginning for the new owner, that brightened her up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or