Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times

Advertisements

I'm not retired, but I figure many people in this part of the forum are in my age group, and many probably have adult-aged kids who have brought new family members into your lives. So I hope someone has input/advice, or even personal experience.

If your adult-aged sons/daughters have brought you in-laws (their significant others- spouses, etc.) how do those people address you, does it matter to you, and do you have any influence on the topic?

From where I stand:
1. I've always been buggy about what is and isn't appropriate- for people my kids' ages to address me by my first name is out of line;
2. Worse yet, if you have an in-law you really like, care about as a member of your family, it's heartbreaking if they dismiss that relationship and call you "Mary" or "Joe."

It's extreme enough that I sometimes avoid communications because I don't know how to sign emails, cards, etc. I simply don't know how to address the topic without sounding weird.
There's also the additional factor of not wanting to be disrespectful to an in-law's own parents.

Any constructive solutions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 05:26 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Everyone calls me Maggie. Kids or adults, it does not matter to me. Both sets of in-laws, all of my nieces and nephews including grands.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:33 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,523 times
What form of address would you find acceptable?

Old 04-16-2015, 05:43 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
..... I simply don't know how to address the topic without sounding weird.
The whole topic is weird. I think this sort of issue died about 1950 and our society has continued to be less formal.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:49 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Everyone calls me Maggie.
I like this idea.

I used to work with a guy who called everyone "George".
It worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
...how do those people address you, does it matter to you?
The grands don't talk yet. My kids use Dad. Ex has a variety of sweet terms for me...
Everyone else knows my name and uses it including DIL and SIL.
Quote:
1. I've always been buggy about what is and isn't appropriate
That sounds like a problem.

Quote:
Any constructive solutions would be greatly appreciated
Let go. Enjoy the relationships.
Attached Thumbnails
an "in-law" dilemma-guacamoleboy.jpg  

Last edited by MrRational; 04-16-2015 at 05:59 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 05:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I've been on first name basis with my in laws since Day 1.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
I address my MIL with "Mom," because that's generally what my generation did from the beginning of becoming a new wife. It always felt uncomfortable. After I got old, I don't see her much (she is on the opposite coast), so I've tried to avoid having to address her with "Mom"; I just start talking.

My DIL calls me by my first name. The grandkids call me "nana," which is fine. When I email DIL, I sign it with my first name-hyphen-nana. That feels weird too.

Our culture does not have an enduring style of addressing in-laws, unfortunately.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:59 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Newenglandgirl, I have similar feelings. My DIL started out calling me Mom, but it was never that comfortable for either of us although we are quite fond of each other. She has a wonderful Mom of her own and doesn't need another and my son doesn't either. Neither will ever be as close to their MILs as they are to their real Moms, which is fine. I myself never have never had a MIL so I'm just winging the whole thing anyway!

Old 04-16-2015, 07:57 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Well -- I don't have kids but I remember being the one trying to find something to call my in laws. Wonderful people. Not being sarcastic. She started calling me Brunhilda. She called the other son's girlfriend by her right name. Soon found out -- she didn't like the girlfriend.

I decided early on that I'd do what we did in our neighborhood. All parents in my circle of friends were Mom and Dad. All parents answered to it.

So they were Mom and Pop. This ticked off my sister, as our father died early, and she felt NO ONE ELSE should be called by the honorific of father in any form except our father.

I flat out said -- No. He was Daddy. He will always be Daddy, and I will only have one Daddy. And I called my mother Ma.

It worked.

They're all gone now, and sorely missed.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:15 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,996,415 times
This seems to be a very sensitive topic to you, OP. If I felt as strongly about it as you do, I'd figure out what I want these people to call me, and I'd politely ask them to honor my request.

If you can't think of any name or title by which you'd like to be called, maybe you could have a conversation with the people involved and see if they have a suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement