U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:40 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,525,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
boomers started out in debt too.

that's part of being you and just starting out. Not too many people can actaully pay cash for everything.
I disagree. College costs were nowhere near what they are today.

Boomers weren't graduating college with $30-$50K in student loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 07:44 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Boat shoes are one of my complaints. I cannot find wider sizes anywhere. I do wear mostly khaki pants and tee shirts. I could use some more variety and different choices.

There are no smaller houses being built in my area. Individual houses seem to be bigger and bigger. The smaller choices are condos and apartments. I dislike apartment living. I want a convenient yard of my own and I do not want to hear the neighbors through the walls. I also want a "shop" or other hobby space area. Anyway condos seem to be very expensive for what you get.

When it comes to products for the boomers, it seems businesses have decided we are half blind, half deaf, not tech savvy and fixated on health issues. Maybe instead of starting with preconceived and condescending approaches, businesses should spend some effort finding out what boomers are interested in and how they want to spend their money.
As with most are groups they are targeting specific to their product niche. The great thing about apps is they enable small start up companies to target specific groups. The link discusses the role of startup companies in technology and seniors. Medical applications are a focus in the article and expect more as the Apple Watch roles out and the potential for life saving apps. Unfortunately the thread title says big business and the OP's later provided link specifically says startups in that title. Thus two discussions.

The following is the intro paragraph in NEG's link:
With more than 100 million Americans now over the age of 50, technology companies are eager to find new ways to cater to Baby Boomer consumers. From a mobile app that offers medical tips to wearable devices, special correspondent Megan Hughes reports on how startups are designing products to appeal to older Americans’ desires for longevity and wellness.

Last edited by TuborgP; 03-23-2015 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-23-2015, 07:48 AM

6,561 posts, read 7,986,401 times
I am happy when seniors are looked at as sources of sales. The more products that truly tempt me the better! What is aggravating is the number of products that some marketing manager somewhere thinks we should want when we really have no use for it. Something left over, or designed for another demographic, or something that does not start with "what would a person in his 90's, 80's, 70's etc. really appreciate having available?"

Seniors tend to do mental cost/benefit analyses all the time. While we are less likely to buy something just to try it out, we are very likely to buy something that demonstrates value to us. So bring it on.

(Of course there will always be the unwell and those with fading intelligence that need to be protected from fraudulent advertising.)

Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,382,758 times
Those in search of wider boat shoes should use Amazon.com and Zappos.com for their search....there is NOTHING you can't find between these two sites in the way of footwear (and a lot of other stuff!).

The housing size between 1100-1400 (and larger) is what the 55+ NON SUBZIDIZED housing market is all about....small yards to maintain, one level floor plans without steps, age in place, wider doorways for wheelchair/walker access.....EVERYTHING you would/could want to be able to be in your home until they carry you out feet first! We have pools (indoor/outdoor), billards, ballroom, exercise room, gym with all Precor equipment with flat screen TV, community events, bocce ball courts, tennis courts, horseshoes, almost ANYTHING you want and can access in your golf cart (gated community) to get to and from the resort without a car/driving on main roads if that is a concern of yours as you age.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:04 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,853,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
My initial reaction to this thread was to wonder why so little is being designed for the needs and interests of us boomers. So I watched the video and it further convinced me that businesses just don't have a hint. The last thing I would want is a treadmill desk. A "wearable fitness device" is supposed to be something designed for a boomer? Come on that is truly ridiculous. There have been plenty of such devices available for years and for only a few dollars. Anyone who thinks using such a device means they are "tech savvy" needs to spend more time trying to understand modern technology because that is a poor example.

So what might qualify as goods and services designed for old people? How about starting with clothing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Absolutely! You're so right! Don't you wish the designers and manufacturers would convene a focus group of Boomers across all income levels and simply ASK what's missing from the universe that's helpful and necessary? Itmes we would embrace instead of spurn?

(If I get one more offer for hearing tests and hearing aids, I will barf!!)
Some housing builders are getting it, though. They're designing simple, one level houses with wider doorways, easy to grip handles and easy-to-maintain homes. Smaller yards. And these homes are in big demand in the 1100--1400 sq ft. ranges.

Gosh, if only we were asked, we'd be happy to share what we're looking for...and it's NOT 90% of what's being offered. Which is mostly crap! And expensive crap, to boot!! <grin>
^^^ Watched a portion of the report and it seemed the oldest person was about 45. Yes, they
are getting input from AARP but as far as smart technology (from the short segment I watched), I
have the same right here (my laptop).
I will agree with jrkliny and littledolphin that there is so much more that Boomers want and need
(some were mentioned).
Housing and apartments (at least where we are) are not thinking of boomers or retirees (as mentioned
by littledolphine) at all.
....and why does my husband get those irritating hearing aid junk mails? He doesn't have a problem.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:26 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,866,638 times
Loving this thread...we indeed live in interesting times.

Sure, some Boomers have medical conditions and mobility issues (our ages span almost a full generation, with the oldest Boomers now turning 69), but many of us are "OPALS" -- Older People with Active Lifestyles.

But some of us do spring for the technology and apps. We have dear friends who have a walking distance app on their smart phone...so I get emails about how they've walked 3.75 miles -- which I find amusing (in a loving way).

I'd rather hear about what birds they saw or what flowers are in bloom. That's why I say we're so varied...me, without a smart phone (we do have a "dumb" Trac phone we use when traveling). I don't know how far I've walked or cycled..only whether I enjoyed it and if my knees or fanny are complaining.

Different strokes for each of us, yes?

I think RE developers in retirement areas are clued in on the smaller home concept, and the aging in place imprtance to Boomers...but when land is very prciey, they are more apt to build condos/apts. and build more density per lot to make their developments profitable.

In our little community, with an increasing number of retirees, the homes built on one-level and in the 1100-1400 sf range have all sold very quickly. Not only to older folks, but also younger people as the purchase price was quite reasonable for the area. "Starter and Ender homes"? Probably not a great advertiisng concept, though honest!

I love this stuff -- I've written about various demographic groups for trade publications, and as a Boomer, find our group endlessly fascinating. But we're a huge demographic and need to be divided into niches according to our ages, income, physical strengths and weaknesses, and not targeted as one big lump. That's the main mistake marketers make when trying to appeal to us -- grouping us all together.

As elders who have been around the block a few times, we're not often fooled by offers that don't hold value to us. I know that Nordic Trac treadmill will never give me that 25 year old body in the commerical no matter how many miles I run, walk, or hobble.

I know that the pricey skin cream being marketed to me this week will not remove my accumulation of laugh lines (and some worry lines). I'll just keep smearing on some coconut cream when feeling tropical or even olive oil when I'm feeling in an Italian frame of mind! <grin>

It's kind of fun, this age, if we let our imagination run free and exercise our wisdom.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:34 AM

There are some good apps free and others cheap that are for bird and plant watchers. Great to help identify birds and plants seen around the yard and walking. Also snap a picture if possible and check later. At home we have books to help identify birds or plants in the yard we might have forgotten what they were. Lots of folks love to post wildlife and plants to Facebook. i have been doing flowers and plants as Spring has sprung and from the likes they get folks especially up North like them.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Loving this thread...we indeed live in interesting times.

Sure, some Boomers have medical conditions and mobility issues (our ages span almost a full generation, with the oldest Boomers now turning 69), but many of us are "OPALS" -- Older People with Active Lifestyles.

But some of us do spring for the technology and apps. We have dear friends who have a walking distance app on their smart phone...so I get emails about how they've walked 3.75 miles -- which I find amusing (in a loving way).

I'd rather hear about what birds they saw or what flowers are in bloom. That's why I say we're so varied...me, without a smart phone (we do have a "dumb" Trac phone we use when traveling). I don't know how far I've walked or cycled..only whether I enjoyed it and if my knees or fanny are complaining.

Different strokes for each of us, yes?

I think RE developers in retirement areas are clued in on the smaller home concept, and the aging in place imprtance to Boomers...but when land is very prciey, they are more apt to build condos/apts. and build more density per lot to make their developments profitable.

In our little community, with an increasing number of retirees, the homes built on one-level and in the 1100-1400 sf range have all sold very quickly. Not only to older folks, but also younger people as the purchase price was quite reasonable for the area. "Starter and Ender homes"? Probably not a great advertiisng concept, though honest!

I love this stuff -- I've written about various demographic groups for trade publications, and as a Boomer, find our group endlessly fascinating. But we're a huge demographic and need to be divided into niches according to our ages, income, physical strengths and weaknesses, and not targeted as one big lump. That's the main mistake marketers make when trying to appeal to us -- grouping us all together.

As elders who have been around the block a few times, we're not often fooled by offers that don't hold value to us. I know that Nordic Trac treadmill will never give me that 25 year old body in the commerical no matter how many miles I run, walk, or hobble.

I know that the pricey skin cream being marketed to me this week will not remove my accumulation of laugh lines (and some worry lines). I'll just keep smearing on some coconut cream when feeling tropical or even olive oil when I'm feeling in an Italian frame of mind! <grin>

It's kind of fun, this age, if we let our imagination run free and exercise our wisdom.
Great Post and a Bada Bing and may we all go forth in freedom and imagination

Old 03-23-2015, 09:38 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What is relevant is that your link is about technology and seniors and most importantly monitors like Fit Bit which my wife and I love and live by. For retirees it is a game changer and could impact many of the discussions we see in this forum about transitioning to retirement and life in retirement. Imagine if everyone wore a Fit Bit type device their last year working and their first year retired and saw the similarities and or differences in fit related behavior.
I got a free Fitbit this year through my company healthcare program. While I use it everyday and think it is a cool toy, it is just a 'glorified' pedometer

'A Glorified Pedometer': 5 Things You Should Know About Your Wearable

I totally agree with this user's comparison between the ~ $100 Fitbit and the cheap $20 Omron pedometer

Pedometers: Fitbit vs Omron

The key thing to fitness is to get into a good daily routine and stick to it. I don't think that many people need to have a high tech, expensive device to stay healthy.

Quote:
How does one travel and live without Yelp?
I have been using the internet in the early 80's when it was known as ARPANET. I am pretty efficient at Googling and would not plan a trip, purchase anything etc without researching. I use Yelp every so often but do not consider it essential (or even reliable) source to plan my life.

7 On Your Side's Michael Finney investigates how reliable business Yelp reviews are | abc7news.com

Old 03-23-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I got a free Fitbit this year through my company healthcare program. While I use it everyday and think it is a cool toy, it is just a 'glorified' pedometer

'A Glorified Pedometer': 5 Things You Should Know About Your Wearable

I totally agree with this user's comparison between the ~ $100 Fitbit and the cheap $20 Omron pedometer

Pedometers: Fitbit vs Omron

The key thing to fitness is to get into a good daily routine and stick to it. I don't think that many people need to have a high tech, expensive device to stay healthy.

I have been using the internet in the early 80's when it was known as ARPANET. I am pretty efficient at Googling and would not plan a trip, purchase anything etc without researching. I use Yelp every so often but do not consider it essential (or even reliable) source to plan my life.

7 On Your Side's Michael Finney investigates how reliable business Yelp reviews are | abc7news.com
Different strokes for all of us and the ability to track multiple parts of our daily life on my Fit Bit make it invaluable. For us Yelp is about finding good places to eat and being able tor track how to get there if not in our GPS. In a new place and want to find a great hamburger or Chinese etc use Yelp. Easy to use out in the car or about. Walking in a city and want a good place within walking distance Yelp is great as are many other Apps appropriate for us. Again expensive is relative and what might be expensive to one is relatively inexpensive to another. Doesn't make it wrong or better just not for one person and great for another. The difference between the $20 device and the $100 device is relative to the value added and the trade off cost in using the $80 for the Fitbit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or