Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:27 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
1) We are.

2) You've got it all wrong. We don't tell them, they tell us. That's how it's always worked.

The ads I see on TV are increasingly for seniors (always smiling): medi-alerts, electronic stairs, sunporches, and prescription drugs (with lists of reactions that are so long as to be both scary and almost laughable).

The fashion industry will never give seniors what we think we need, that would be too depressing to portray. Marketers seek to keep us in denial in a youth culture with clothing and shoes, etc.
They seek to keep us or is it they allow us stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 12:52 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Good points and another thread possibility. What happens when we as a group go from boom to burden? They may love us now but in 30 years or so?
In 30 years, they'll be selling us Boomer-worthy end-of-life apps and Boomer-worthy funerals.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
In 30 years, they'll be selling us Boomer-worthy end-of-life apps and Boomer-worthy funerals.
You have a good handle on this care to venture what they might be?

Old 03-23-2015, 03:04 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
The following is the intro paragraph in NEG's link:
With more than 100 million Americans now over the age of 50, technology companies are eager to find new ways to cater to Baby Boomer consumers. From a mobile app that offers medical tips to wearable devices, special correspondent Megan Hughes reports on how startups are designing products to appeal to older Americans’ desires for longevity and wellness.
It would be interesting to know what age group these designers are.
I picture a room of 20-somethings saying, "This is cool! The old people need this!"

Maybe if they hired designers and idea people that were 50+, they might get a clue.

Data from Focus groups is fleeting.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
It would be interesting to know what age group these designers are.
I picture a room of 20-somethings saying, "This is cool! The old people need this!"

Maybe if they hired designers and idea people that were 50+, they might get a clue.

Data from Focus groups is fleeting.
True but since millions of start up dollars and the rewards for success being in the hundreds of millions for them personally I suspect they are tuned in to the needs of their target audience which may be very similar to their parents and grandparents. Venture capitalist know the legitimate from the fanciful other wise they won't venture very long,

Old 03-24-2015, 12:40 AM

685 posts, read 720,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Technology zeros in on us...we're a real commodity now.

"More than 100 million Americans are now over the age of 50. Oxford Economics estimates their consumer spending accounts for $7.1 trillion in economic activity a year.

If that were the gross domestic product for a country, it would be the third largest economy in the world, just after the U.S. and China."

Of course it's not just tech, it's financial products, retirement communities, kinds of vehicles, medical procedures, etc etc.

They're going to miss us when we're gone!
Boy, has this changed over the years. I must have been @45 when I really noticed the lack of older actors on television (@15 years ago). I took a college class on something (I have no clue what it was) where the focus was to figure out the age group to whom tv shows catered. At that time most shows and commercials focused on anyone who was not over 50 and there weren't many aged actors in any show. The reasoning was that seniors didn't spend enough money. So, advertising dollars focused on selling to younger people. For the last maybe five years, many commercials show age-related pharmaceutical or medical ads. But Kathy Bates last t.v. show (Harry's Law) about her running a law firm was canceled despite the number of people who watched it. That threw me for a loop and she's not that old (born in 1948) for a show in 2011. Here's the proof: TV ratings: 'Harry's Law' starts well for NBC but CBS tops Monday - Zap2it | News & Features

Yes, I know everyone can read but here's the age-range focus for the time slots from the link:
18-49 leader:

We are, "... a real commodity now."

Old 03-24-2015, 06:19 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
At age 67 (born 1947) I am in the vanguard of the boomers. I can see where the younger folks (even those in the 45 age range) haven't a clue what real boomers want - and what they don't want. A lot of us who buy smartphones are amused by them for awhile, then put them aside. Or, we continue to use them, but for limited purposes. I have never seen anyone in my age range who is "glued" to their phone the way the kids are. Older boomers are not quick to use new "apps".

As I see it, two things are happening here, with older boomers (60s): first, if they have discretionary funds, they are more likely to hang onto them. In my case, having $$$thousands in cash available for emergencies, is far more important than wandering around looking for something to 'blow' it on. Older folks get tighter and more conservative as they age. Not all, but a large percentage.

Secondly, I'm personally feeling a 'turning away' from tech, and a 'turning toward' the more natural world. The person who spoke of looking at birds and flowers was right on the money. In my case, the "birds" are the poultry that we raise for ourselves and for profit. I'm finding in my older years that nature holds treasures that money can't buy. And no...I don't want to look at it on a smartphone. I want to see the real thing - with my own eyes!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:03 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Quote:
You have a good handle on this care to venture what they might be?
Does this have appeal? Personally, I rather fancy feeding an oak...

Forget Coffins – Organic Burial Pods Will Turn Your Loved Ones Into Trees | Bored Panda

Old 03-24-2015, 07:10 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:

Forget Coffins – Organic Burial Pods Will Turn Your Loved Ones Into Trees | Bored Panda
"Green burial" is the next big business aimed at boomers. Popping up all over the place these days. I bet there will be new tech aimed at "life look-backs" of the deceased at memorial services.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Have you seen any of the futuristic and not to far down the road use of holographs to create virtual reality environments? Would be great for assisted living, shut ins, even nursing home seniors to create a virtual world outside of the norm. Although it would be normal then. Imagine Alzheimer patients being able to see loved ones and themselves as they use to be as digitized video is translated to a holograph environment for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement