U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:19 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times

Advertisements

Don't a lot of grandparents use Face Time and or Skype to video conference with the Grands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 07:37 AM

7,116 posts, read 8,154,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Don't a lot of grandparents use Face Time and or Skype to video conference with the Grands?
I have 6 grandchildren, from age 5 to 17. A few of the older ones text me, which I love. But no, we don't use the other things you refer to. We share pictures, sometimes even by mail (imagine that!).

My grandchildren are being brought up to use 'tech' wisely and in a limited way, as a tool, not a way of life.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I have 6 grandchildren, from age 5 to 17. A few of the older ones text me, which I love. But no, we don't use the other things you refer to. We share pictures, sometimes even by mail (imagine that!).

My grandchildren are being brought up to use 'tech' wisely and in a limited way, as a tool, not a way of life.
Gotcha, mine just the opposite as my sons were both raised to use Tech as a way of life and do especially in their careers. Once bitten by the bug they have sustained it by remaining relevant and wanted by employers. Hopefully the Grands will stay as relevant in their chosen career skills which it is sorta hard to be gainfully employed without. Even the assembly line has gone high tech and those skilled workers are often in short supply. However as has been noted so often in this forum we all have to stake out our own paths and that of our families. Best of luck to you and yours as we all want the best for everyone.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:17 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
True but since millions of start up dollars and the rewards for success being in the hundreds of millions for them personally I suspect they are tuned in to the needs of their target audience which may be very similar to their parents and grandparents. Venture capitalist know the legitimate from the fanciful other wise they won't venture very long,
Having faith in the wisdom of corporations or any large organization is usually a mistake.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Having faith in the wisdom of corporations or any large organization is usually a mistake.
We differ on that thought and I suspect that the millions who give their trillions to large corporations like Vanguard, Fidelity and a few others are betting their life on their wisdom and the wisdom of those fund managers even if passive funds . As in all endeavors it is wise to stay on top of and verify understanding that with reward usually comes risk and if you aren't willing to accept it don't expect the same reward as someone who does. Hey who knows your reward could be better not trusting. Much of what we know today as having been advancements over the last couple of decades has come from venture capital being put to work. Not always good but still without financial nurturing economic growth is .............

Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 AM

Believing in fund managers is equally misplaced faith. I just finished a long conversation with a representative of one of my funds. The fund did poorly last year. In fact I estimated the poor performance cost me about $50k. I was told that the performance was poor because the fund diversified; i.e., they bought a lot of foreign stocks that did poorly. Well, by necessity I have to do more and more of my own investment decisions.

If you want to see the outcome of a large organization, look at the Federal government. If you think business organizations are more capable, look at those that failed or are failing. Kodak is one of the best examples of inbred stupidity. Now we have Radio Shack on the block. That was inevitable. Who knows what they even tried to sell? I have no financials but I am sure Staples is close behind. I think they have close to a monopoly in their area but the stores are huge, in expensive locations, and the stores rarely have more than a handful of customers.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
It would be interesting to know what age group these designers are.
I picture a room of 20-somethings saying, "This is cool! The old people need this!"

Maybe if they hired designers and idea people that were 50+, they might get a clue.

Data from Focus groups is fleeting.
I agree 100% with your comments. Focus groups usually are designed to make management feel good rather than truly generate new ideas.

It is not just products for boomers that need to be looked at by boomers but services and information. I really go nuts looking at the retirement advice magazine articles that all seem to be rehashed ideas written by 20 somethings.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
Boy, has this changed over the years. I must have been @45 when I really noticed the lack of older actors on television (@15 years ago). I took a college class on something (I have no clue what it was) where the focus was to figure out the age group to whom tv shows catered. At that time most shows and commercials focused on anyone who was not over 50 and there weren't many aged actors in any show. The reasoning was that seniors didn't spend enough money. ......
I agree there seems to be little in the way of entertainment directed to older people. I just watched two movies on cable. One was called something like the "Grudge Match" about two old actors having a boxing match. Then there was an equally miserable show about 4 old f**rts visiting Las Vegas. These were unwatchable movies that I suppose were geared toward older viewers.

How about some music geared toward the older generations? I would like something besides teenage idols screaming into the microphone and doing light shows. I am also bored with listening to the same old 60's and 70's music on the oldies radio stations.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:13 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,852,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Does this have appeal? Personally, I rather fancy feeding an oak...

Forget Coffins – Organic Burial Pods Will Turn Your Loved Ones Into Trees | Bored Panda
^^^Well, technology showed me something new today (burial pods). What happens down the line (in a few years) as the song goes...."they paved paradise to put up a parking lot."

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 03-24-2015 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: error

Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM

A burial pod seems better than turning to rotten slime and soup in a hermetically sealed $5,000 coffin.

If you will notice the mortuary industry is not exactly thrilled with what more and more old people have chosen. Cremations are now at 40% and increasing rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or