U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:39 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,856,782 times

Advertisements

^^^Cremation makes more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 10:59 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,871,489 times
Cremation, burial pods..anything organic appeals to me...the typical stuffed corpse and body viewing and expensive casket and arrangements of dead flowers seem so wasteful...so consumeristic.

Ever read the classic on the topic by Jessica Mitford--The American Way of Death? http://www.amazon.com/The-American-D.../dp/156849159X It's pretty funny--and revealing.

Gee whiz...some cultures just put the deceased on a hilltop and let the buzzards and ravens have their way with it...and why not?

Just a shell is left behind..the essence having departed. But your views may vary. Different folks have different customs and beliefs -- which I respect.

My brothers and I almost got arrested trying to sprinkle my mother's ashes at the cruise ship port in Florida..they thought we were terrorists, I suppose. Must have been the black we were wearing. But it all got cleared up and we were left in peace to send my mom on her final cruise. She loved cruising...

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 03-24-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 11:07 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,856,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Gee whiz...some cultures just put the deceased on a hilltop and let the buzzards and ravens have their way with it...and why not?

Just a shell is left behind..the essence having departed. But your views may vary. Different folks have different customs and beliefs -- which I respect.
There are many different cultures with different & traditional customs. Provided a link (I was curious too
regarding the differences and some similarities about burials). I would think that any burial pod site
would have to be operated like a cemetery for a number of reasons.

Customs and Protocols on Death, Dying and Funerals
^^^and this doesn't include many other religions, customs or beliefs.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 03-26-2015 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 03-31-2015, 06:18 AM

194 posts, read 117,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Believing in fund managers is equally misplaced faith. I just finished a long conversation with a representative of one of my funds. The fund did poorly last year. In fact I estimated the poor performance cost me about $50k. I was told that the performance was poor because the fund diversified; i.e., they bought a lot of foreign stocks that did poorly. Well, by necessity I have to do more and more of my own investment decisions.

If you want to see the outcome of a large organization, look at the Federal government. If you think business organizations are more capable, look at those that failed or are failing. Kodak is one of the best examples of inbred stupidity. Now we have Radio Shack on the block. That was inevitable. Who knows what they even tried to sell? I have no financials but I am sure Staples is close behind. I think they have close to a monopoly in their area but the stores are huge, in expensive locations, and the stores rarely have more than a handful of customers.

Find a "fee only" financial adviser. Usually they charge a small percentage of your total assets per year. They are by law required to give you the best possible advice and get no commissions or broker fees. Since they charge based on your total assets, they make more money if you make more money.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,752,208 times
Thanks, but the issue seems to be incompetence rather than dishonesty. I expect financial experts to understand the markets, understand individual investments and make wise choices. I do not accept that excuse that the bad investments where due to diversification.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM

194 posts, read 117,990 times
All brokers have a duty to make money for their firm and make commissions on sales. They do not have a duty to make money for you.

I don't think I am allowed to link, but google "napfa" for info.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:57 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,752,208 times
I am not talking about brokers, but about fund managers. I have a 50:50 fund. Last year stock did about 13% and bonds did about 5%. A 50:50 fund should have done about 9%. With fees and variation maybe 7-8% would have been not great but acceptable. The fund I am talking about managed to do a total of less than 6% for the year. I was told that the low return was due to diversification into foreign stocks. In addition this diversification was supposed to be good insurance against the possibility of poor performance by US stocks and bonds. I don't accept that excuse. In addition at least now the fund has minimal foreign stock holdings. I think the fund managers just made poor choices. Currently the fund is recovering somewhat and now has acceptable performance. I am still thinking of dumping that fund. I had another similar fund and I already sold it.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:13 PM

29,788 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am not talking about brokers, but about fund managers. I have a 50:50 fund. Last year stock did about 13% and bonds did about 5%. A 50:50 fund should have done about 9%. With fees and variation maybe 7-8% would have been not great but acceptable. The fund I am talking about managed to do a total of less than 6% for the year. I was told that the low return was due to diversification into foreign stocks. In addition this diversification was supposed to be good insurance against the possibility of poor performance by US stocks and bonds. I don't accept that excuse. In addition at least now the fund has minimal foreign stock holdings. I think the fund managers just made poor choices. Currently the fund is recovering somewhat and now has acceptable performance. I am still thinking of dumping that fund. I had another similar fund and I already sold it.
Food for thought, in other forums here there and elsewhere it was discussed toward the end of 2014 that a couple of things were holding our portfolios returns back. International funds and to a lesser extent small cap funds. I experienced it and understood that a balanced portfolio is just that balanced not just in asset class but within asset classes. Of late international stocks especially Europe have out performed domestic equities and have helped boost my returns above that of the S&P 500. Mid Cap and Small Cap funds have been a plus also. The problem with international stocks is the top of the chart value of the dollar compared to other currencies so unless your fund manager is investing is hedging and investing with foreign dollars your returns are minimized. Again it isn't just 50/50 equity v bonds but the diversification within each asset class. The same applies to bonds and what and how are they distributed. If you aren't interested in international equities or bonds, then yes select a balanced fund that is just domestic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or