U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 05:12 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,722,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you think if your mother had worked and had not been a housewife, it would have all been different because she would have been able to make an easier transition being economically better off after your dad was out of the picture? I know times are different now and this is Monday morning quarterbacking but when I was younger I used to tell teen girls to be financially independent then you don't have to stay with an abusive husband or put up with other things. You fall but you don't fall as hard.

And you are right about common sense being a big plus.
Laura,

My mom was born in 1920, and married in 1941. She was a hair stylist before she met my dad. In those days, being a stay at home mom was the Norm. My father was the bread winner and my mother took care of the house and the five children. My father was also a womanizer and finally after dumping my mother and sisters and brothers in another state far away, and buying her a mortgaged house to live in, (Florida) he soon divorced her and married his secretary who was exactly one year older than me.

When my father stopped paying the mortgage and child support, there were no courts who had jurisdiction to do anything about it back in those days. It later changed, but unfortunately a little too late for my mother. They also didn't have group homes back then like they have today. They had state institutions, which if you look into what they were like then, you would never want to put your child into one. So we needed care for my mentally handicapped brother during the day while we both worked. My mother got a job doing hair, but it was not nearly enough money. Hence my having to work to contribute to the household. My very young sister would come right home from school, to relieve the babysitter and would be preparing meals and caring for my brother at only eleven years old.

Much later, the women's movement emerged, and things and women's outlook began to change. Very much like Ariadne, seeing what my mother went through and what my father did, I also vowed to never EVER allow myself to be dependent on a man, and to never EVER have a child I could not support myself, which I didn't. I had one child later in life, and later divorced my husband, but had more than adequate funds to support myself. So, I think you may be forgetting what the typical family makeup was back then. Just look at all those old old sitcoms still on TV.

You know the subject was raised before, concerning stay at home moms. I think most would concur, that having a parent home to care or the children and the house while the partner works is a more desirable situation, especially for the children. But economically today, it can have dire financial consequences as well, and can be very risky if one is not well off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 06:25 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,722,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Revolution, higher taxes or war. I wonder if history will repeat itself.

Paul Tudor Jones Warns "Disastrous Market Mania" Will End In "Revolution, Taxes, Or War" | Zero Hedge
I always get a kick out of people who advocate getting guns and stockpiling bullets and bunker rations.
One big blast from one of our governments powerful weapons can obliterate half a neighborhood, no less a few good men with guns. Not the same time. In the words of Obama, "We're not fighting with bayonets anymore."

As long as CEO's pay is tied to stock price, I don't see anything moving them to be more "Just". I listened to his talk. Would like to have heard how he perceives more just himself. I always enjoy Ted Talks. I have heard some very interesting speakers.

But truth be told, we are sinking further and further into the abbis. With Citizen's United, we have really sealed our fate to have corporations and the uber rich rule our country. This is not a Republican or Democratic matter either. It is a control of power issue that effects every working person in the US no matter your political persuation.

Asking corporations to reign themselves in for a better justice grade, and having them do it, is not something I ever expect to see in my life time, or my sons.

Just reading this yesterday: https://www.yahoo.com/politics/wisco...429739886.html

Now this is after many government violations received (more than any company in Wisconsin) and him "personally" dumping very dangerous hazardous waste in a near by waterway contaminating the water.

Well, we need to watch and see how Mr. Maynard is treated. Of course now that the media has wind of it all, it may not be as smooth sailing for him in the future, as he expected. We shall see.

Point is, large companies very often behave very badly, because most of the time they get away with it.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:05 PM

23,560 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It has already begun and unfortunately the people most at risk are the poor and they have already begun to suffer from the conflict. All the wealthy have to do is to begin to abandon the urban enclaves and leave them a further erosion of their tax base and without a network of support and financial resources to get one. Private military companies exist and their fire power is superior. Storming the bastion ain't what it use to be.
Urban infill and gentrification is what is happening. The wealthy are the ones moving into most core cities now.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:23 PM

29,772 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Urban infill and gentrification is what is happening. The wealthy are the ones moving into most core cities now.
Yes and the negative blow back against them may cause tjem to move out again.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:37 PM

21,535 posts, read 43,982,964 times
Doubtful. These people make property improvements, taxes rise, properties become unaffordable for anyone not like them.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:43 PM

43,545 posts, read 52,637,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I have mixed reactions about SAHM's. Yes they have a responsibility but so do mom's and dads's with kids who are working. Consider that at a certain age point the kids are in school part time and shortly there after for a full day. Yet mom is doing what she is doing. However the chores she gets done during the day another working parent still has when they get home. Young families have decisions to make and those decisions involve trade offs. I can only say been there, done that and made our decision and bed. Retirement and SS were integral in our decision making. My wife was not fully on board but is more than happy now and when she retired at 59 with 37 1/2 years service the sacrifices were more than worth it. Yes child care eats up a lot of the money you make while working but depending on the job the continuing SS and pension service time pay off down the road. A working mom with kids has no down time, wait a dad doesn't either.
They do all the work but the actual parenting, which requires someone to physically be there.
People act like working mom = SAHM + job.
Naw. It is job with some part time parenting thrown in.

True, options open up when kids hit school age, but more and more of the high income elite I know are opting for home school, usually requiring the full time presence of one parent at home.

Part of the point of marriage is division of labor. Women and men can trade off roles as time permits.

Good life insurance offsets risk of partner loss/sudden lack of income.

Not marrying a self-centered sack of sh** goes a long way towards divorce avoidance...and before anyone comes on here and acts like you can't possibly know how marriage will go, I can say after nearly 40 years on this planet and seeing friends in their first marriages and others in their second/third marriages, I can with near 100% accuracy tell you the outcome of all of these (and did predict) bc all you need is to know and understand people just a little bit.

"I didn't realize he was XYZ!"
Really? You dated him a year and didn't realize he was XYZ? I spent five minutes with him at a cocktail party and figured it out.

"She his that part of her so well."
No. No she freakin' didn't.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Doubtful. These people make property improvements, taxes rise, properties become unaffordable for anyone not like them.
Not if they become easy targets for urban dissent, remember this is on the context of real class warfare as noted by other posters

Old 03-25-2015, 08:02 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,132,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Case in point, places like Ferguson, MO (or for that matter, even small cities like Stockton, CA) are nothing like the inner urban areas of large cities. They are completely suburban in nature. And yet, these are the rising hot spots.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Case in point, places like Ferguson, MO (or for that matter, even small cities like Stockton, CA) are nothing like the inner urban areas of large cities. They are completely suburban in nature. And yet, these are the rising hot spots.
Suburban in geography but are they suburban in nature?

Old 03-25-2015, 09:37 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,803,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They do all the work but the actual parenting, which requires someone to physically be there.
People act like working mom = SAHM + job.
Naw. It is job with some part time parenting thrown in.

True, options open up when kids hit school age, but more and more of the high income elite I know are opting for home school, usually requiring the full time presence of one parent at home.

Part of the point of marriage is division of labor. Women and men can trade off roles as time permits.

Good life insurance offsets risk of partner loss/sudden lack of income.

Not marrying a self-centered sack of sh** goes a long way towards divorce avoidance...and before anyone comes on here and acts like you can't possibly know how marriage will go, I can say after nearly 40 years on this planet and seeing friends in their first marriages and others in their second/third marriages, I can with near 100% accuracy tell you the outcome of all of these (and did predict) bc all you need is to know and understand people just a little bit.

"I didn't realize he was XYZ!"
Really? You dated him a year and didn't realize he was XYZ? I spent five minutes with him at a cocktail party and figured it out.

"She his that part of her so well."
No. No she freakin' didn't.
My wife and I (together nearly 43 years now) kind of agree with you about the difficulty of holding a full time job, especially a "career" type of job, and being a parent. We are one of the "old school" couples who had a full time stay at home mom and a working dad.

Like you so well stated, we viewed our lives as a division of responsibilities, she had hers and I had mine. We worked together as a team, and have two adult sons in their mid 30's doing very well for themselves and their families. Part of the reason they were so well adjusted was their ability to come home after school and get some "mom time" when they needed it, plus her overseeing them and monitoring when they were starting to get a bit too far astray in their behavior.

She felt very strongly about being an involved parent, and didn't buy off on having the "it takes a village" concept in child rearing. She knows her own point of view, and wanted to make sure the kids were raised as she felt they'd be most successful and happy in life.

I know the thread is about income inequality and senior citizens, and obviously two incomes are going to be better than one. But we are an example of an "old school" one income couple who did just fine in life, using life insurance extensively for her financial protection when we were younger. Fortunately, we both made it to my retirement and have had a very easy financial existence despite only having a single income in our family.

Life has multiple priorities, and finance is only one of many competing areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or