U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:28 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,077,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
People on assistance programs like SNAP, TANF, WIC, those who receive section 8 vouchers, SSI, etc. These programs either provide direct cash assistance or subsidies for items at market prices. This provides a minimum standard of living that anyone eligible to receive simply needs to sign up for.

Which largely excludes the subset of low earners who are able-bodied, childless, and not elderly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 06:11 PM

15,736 posts, read 9,259,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Which largely excludes the subset of low earners who are able-bodied, childless, and not elderly.
Because children and the elderly are the ones that need the help. And by extension, the parents. Able bodied adults without children have no right to my heard earned tax dollars. Unless they are disabled, they are perfectly capable of earning a living.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Because children and the elderly are the ones that need the help. And by extension, the parents. Able bodied adults without children have no right to my heard earned tax dollars. Unless they are disabled, they are perfectly capable of earning a living.

But the parents of those children do not deserve to benefit from their irresponsible behavior. And didn't the elderly have decades to prepare?

And the problem with the referent post is the casual conflation of childless non-elderly adults - who receive little government assistance - and the baby mamas who soak up vast resources while contributing social bads like new generations of baby mamas and gangbangers.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 AM

5,233 posts, read 3,642,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
As I noted earlier, The Silent Generation, who are the majority of current retirees, are the wealthiest elder generation in the history of the US (and perhaps the World). The Boomers are OK but what we will see there is, the later the cohort, the greater the distress. By the time the youngest Boomers retire, the crisis will be apparent. Then, as if things could not get any worse ... they will.

Enter Gen X, which will be a return to what happened with the Lost Generation when they retired. Some of you may remember them. There was serious elder poverty during the mid 20th century. Actually, X may have an even rougher time than Lost did. We'll see. I've had a recurring nightmare. In the nightmare, I find myself in something resembling a refugee camp. I am old and surrounded by other old people. There are things like huge mess halls, and mass bathing. I'd rather die.

The situation for the Millies is still unknown. While there is still a lot of time, especially for their younger cohort, the fact they have had such a bad start in careers is going to be a serious issue. Bad career start = minimal to no retirement savings until quite late in life.
Being that I am almost 78 yrs. old, I tend to agree with you. We are in a cycle and it will repeat. My memories of my folks and neighbors, who retired with no means of support except SS, impressed me. I knew I did not want to grow old and be poor. I lived cheap, saved every penny I could, learned a little about investing. When IRAs and 401k's came along I took advantage of everything that was available. I believe the future generations will have some vivid memories and they also will learn to plan for the future.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:07 AM

15,736 posts, read 9,259,225 times
Quote:
But the parents of those children do not deserve to benefit from their irresponsible behavior. And didn't the elderly have decades to prepare?

And the problem with the referent post is the casual conflation of childless non-elderly adults - who receive little government assistance - and the baby mamas who soak up vast resources while contributing social bads like new generations of baby mamas and gangbangers.
LOL. Yet you're calling for adults to benefit from their's.

No, they should not benefit from their irresponsible behavior. But when the solution is forced sterilization, or tearing the children away from their parent so that the parents don't benefit, there's not much else to be done to help the children.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:

No, they should not benefit from their irresponsible behavior. But when the solution is forced sterilization, or tearing the children away from their parent so that the parents don't benefit, there's not much else to be done to help the children.

Now you're conflating responsible and irresponsible low-income childless adults.

How about recouping those resources from their irresponsible parents once the kids are grown? As in garnishment of paychecks and Social Security?

Old 03-28-2015, 10:24 AM

29,784 posts, read 34,885,423 times
Quote:
Now you're conflating responsible and irresponsible low-income childless adults.

How about recouping those resources from their irresponsible parents once the kids are grown? As in garnishment of paychecks and Social Security?
Is this on target with the thread focus of Senior income inequality and the societal response if any?

Old 03-28-2015, 10:46 AM

358 posts, read 223,360 times
Medical care is a major cost for seniors and (I suspect) the single greatest drain on savings. There are two things Congress could do to help seniors:

1. Require Medicare policies to have parity with Obamacare policies; e.g., Medicare doesn't cover hearing aids.

2. Repeal the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB) for Medicare that was included in Obamacare. This appointed board is tasked to reduce Medicare funding (without Congressional approval) if spending exceeds certain thresholds.
(See Sections 3403 and 1032 of the act)

Reductions in any social program might be necessary but why is Medicare alone the one that has is done automatically by an unelected board? Every other program - Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (welfare), food stamps, aid to illegal immigrants - can only be reduced by Congress.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:45 PM

39,303 posts, read 20,382,138 times
Quote:

In reality it would be best for the child to be taken, otherwise the parent is just going to teach them irresponsible and dependent behavior. We are witnessing that now. The parents don't really care about "the children" or they would have thought about the kind of life they would give the kids before having them.

Last edited by petch751; 03-29-2015 at 05:59 PM..

Old 03-29-2015, 05:51 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,544,616 times
14% of the population is 65 or older..that's 44 million

Of that 44 million only 10% are at poverty level....that's 4 million.

The majority of seniors are not poor so this a not a major problem here.
And for those 4 million there's welfare programs.

Source of figures:
USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Poverty Rate by Age | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement