U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:39 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,255,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
would you believe every blood test and medical procedure is logged in a central data base ? i was shocked to find when we applied for a long term care policy they saw the results of my last 4 blood tests right on line. i knew somethings were stored but not every little thing like routine blood work results.

ACA changed the rules. Don't truthfully answer every question a care giver asks as it goes on permanent record; that was the intent.
A nurse recently asked if I had access to handguns and/or thoughts of harming myself or others. My mind quickly kicked in and said "NO".

Be wary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 06:07 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,640,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At 67 the DMV wants a full run down of my diabetic condition, while the numbers are higher than normal they dont fluctuate much so i guess its somewhat controlled, With 5-7 being normal my blood sugar runs in the 10-12 range
My doctor will fill out the forms they want on Monday i hope whatever he reports allays their concerns that i'm not a danger to drive.A revocation of my drivers license at this point in my life would be devastating as my normal daily routine would end and i;d be relegated to a very sedentary life.
Any one else had to deal with a revocation of their drivers license ? how did you adapt?
Its always easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:35 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,384,060 times
Quote:
At 67 the DMV wants a full run down of my diabetic condition, while the numbers are higher than normal they dont fluctuate much so i guess its somewhat controlled, With 5-7 being normal my blood sugar runs in the 10-12 range
My doctor will fill out the forms they want on Monday i hope whatever he reports allays their concerns that i'm not a danger to drive.A revocation of my drivers license at this point in my life would be devastating as my normal daily routine would end and i;d be relegated to a very sedentary life.
Any one else had to deal with a revocation of their drivers license ? how did you adapt?
I understand your concern, appreciate your fear, and empathize with you as a human being, but if your HGA1C is between 10-12, YOU ARE AT SERIOUS RISK OF DIABETIC COMA AND SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING!!!! Yes, you don't understand, perhaps you have never had an issue with it, but trust me as a nurse, LOTS of people have!!!! You are also at great risk of neuropathy in your extremities (i.e. feet and can't tell if you are pressing on the break or gas peddle) not to mention loss of vision, limbs and kidney failure.

Anyone that uses your medical information to keep you from driving is NOT being mean to you, they are trying to save your life and others as well because you are IMPARED as a driver even if it is difficult to accept.

Your "theory" that you are "somewhat controlled" is a LIE!!! You are NOT in control of your HgA1C is 2 X normal rate, you are just not fluctuating....you are still at HUGE risk to all kinds of DM issues...to include loosing your legs and dialysis needs in your NEAR future! When I worked in Hawaii as a nurse, I use to do the Diabetic teaching....I would tell folks, wear WHITE COTTON socks only and when you take them off every night, turn them inside out and check for bleeding on them....I had diabetics that would have rubbed a blister to the bone and not realized it because of "loss of feeling" in their feet. PLEASE, for your sake, for your families sake, ADDRESS your counts and get them where they need to be.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:17 PM

34,394 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Well thats a sobering post Paka, cant really argue with what you are saying,problem is i feel fine and have no other maladies other than the high Blood sugar levels,if they do end up revoking my license i Guess i'll just have to get used to the idea of living in the middle of nowhere with no car, , i can see an upcoming negative psychological aspect to this turn of events.

Last edited by jambo101; 03-26-2015 at 09:54 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 12:22 AM

642 posts, read 491,677 times
Quote:
This seems to me to be a blessing for you. If you lose your license, you'll be forced to buy a nice bicycle as your mode of transportation. After a couple of weeks of riding the 20+ miles a day for your social life, your blood sugars will be way down, you will lose weight, and you'll feel better than you have for over 30 years! Welcome this with great anticipation!

And don't say I don't understand your situation. I had quadruple-bypass heart surgery in 2009. As a result of this, I was forced to lose weight, start exercising, and give up every food I ever enjoyed eating! I'm alive and well today and in better shape than I've been in since High School! I'm also very angry because my grocery bill has skyrocketed to over $400 a week because I can't eat anything with sugar, High-Fructose Corn Syrup, or Partially-Hydrogenated Fats; which puts me on a vegetarian diet of basically raw fruits, vegetables, rice and steamed fish.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Well thats a sobering post Paka, cant really argue with what you are saying,problem is i feel fine and have no other maladies other than the high Blood sugar levels,if they do end up revoking my license i Guess i'll just have to get used to the idea of living in the middle of nowhere with no car, , i can see an upcoming negative psychological aspect to this turn of events.
I am grateful that you feel fine, and hope you are willing to work with your health care provider to get your A1C under control to be able to enjoy a long, happy, HEALTHY life with LOTS of travel in your future! Am grateful you understand the need for a "wake up call", and am sure that you can do it with a little effort on your part. I have had MANY patients turn their serious health issues around with small, constant, but SERIOUS efforts....one step at a time my friend!!!

Old 03-27-2015, 03:50 AM

The numbers i have now are high but they used to be a lot higher
In the last 7 years i've given up smoking, in the last 5 years been going to a gymn for an hour every morning, in the last 3 years given up alcohol and in the last 2 years gone to a much more vegetarian based diet,and in the process lost 15lbs,however i've plateaued for the last year and its time to take it up a level,While the diet is good i'm eating too much too often,time to get very attentive to times i eat and how much i eat with the objective of losing another 50lbs which my doctor assures me will do wonders for my blood sugar levels.
The motivation is appreciated

Last edited by jambo101; 03-27-2015 at 04:30 AM..

Old 03-27-2015, 07:54 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,711,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've thought about this since I'm over twenty miles from town. However, Walmart is near my end of town and there are very few cops out in the middle of the night. I'd set up a corporation to buy car insurance and plates so I wouldn't need to produce a driver's license.
That's not going to help you if you kill somebody because you weren't supposed to be driving.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
The numbers i have now are high but they used to be a lot higher
In the last 7 years i've given up smoking, in the last 5 years been going to a gymn for an hour every morning, in the last 3 years given up alcohol and in the last 2 years gone to a much more vegetarian based diet,and in the process lost 15lbs,however i've plateaued for the last year and its time to take it up a level,While the diet is good i'm eating too much too often,time to get very attentive to times i eat and how much i eat with the objective of losing another 50lbs which my doctor assures me will do wonders for my blood sugar levels.
The motivation is appreciated

AWESOME JOB!!! You are obviously on the right road to regaining your health. Unfortunately, sometimes the "gene pool" we are swimming in lead us to deal with health issues genetics control...

I have found that LOTS of diabetic patients seem to do much better on a low carb diets in getting the blood sugars under control....the veggies thing would be great for the carb intake. Have you tried that at all? I have seen several people REALLY get control of their HgA1C in as little as 3 months and they said it much easier to stick to....basically NOTHING white....sugar, flour, rice, potatoes. The carbs they did include were veggie/salad types.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 AM

I've been on many diets, they dont work, at the moment i'm trying to follow the Dr Joel Fuhrman lifestyle..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or