U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:34 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,168,131 times

Advertisements

My husband (62) and myself (55) have been thinking a lot about selling our home in Hampton Roads and buying in a nearby retirement community (Williamsburg, VA area).

For those who have actually done this, what are the five best features of life in a retirement village?

And the five worst features?

One of the big attractions for me is the HOA. I've lived in two "good" neighborhoods that went downhill when problematic neighbors moved in, and then the good neighbors moved out. I'm really tired of that. Tidy, clean and pretty streets are very appealing to me.

Another big attraction is the lack of children. Sorry, but I'm tired of being around today's children and the incessant noise. I crave, need and deserve quietude.

Another thing I like is sameness. I like being around my fellow baby boomers. I enjoy their company and enjoy the shared commonalities.

So what are the best five/worst five features of life in a 55+ community?

Thanks very much for the replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 AM

8,797 posts, read 7,712,915 times
Couldn't agree more with your post. 55+ is looking better as I go along. Especially, the control of neighbors who don't keep up standards, and then drive out others or drag down the neighborhood. The sameness might get old, but you can always leave for awhile.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:55 AM

16,362 posts, read 10,348,905 times
or go visit/volunteer some place where there are differences-people, food, art, whatever.

you're not chained to your house.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
or go visit/volunteer some place where there are differences-people, food, art, whatever.

you're not chained to your house.

???

I don't understand this post. Did something get left out?

Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 AM

16,362 posts, read 10,348,905 times
I was referring to the 'sameness might get old' comment by augiedogie, who also points out that you can leave for a while.

just agreeing…..

Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 AM

Ah.

Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, I embrace "sameness." I've had enough change to last several lifetimes.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:39 PM

10,818 posts, read 8,069,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Another thing I like is sameness. I like being around my fellow baby boomers. I enjoy their company and enjoy the shared commonalities.
Many 55+ communities are populated almost entirely by folks 75 y.o. and older. If it's boomer neighbors you're seeking, make sure the community has demographics to your liking.

DH and I are in our mid-60s and checked out a couple of retirement communities we were interested in by doing short-term (vacation) rentals. Within a few days, we knew we'd be miserable because almost everyone was so much older than us.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:00 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,837,275 times
The only way for you to find out is to rent in one for a bit. We currently live in one in SC and are moving to one in DE in 2 weeks. We wouldn't even consider anything else.

When we bought DH was 56 and I was 55. I never, ever felt as though I was surrounded by old people. In fact most of the people moving here are in their late 50s or early 60s. There are to be about 3200 houses here and the final lots are selling as fast as they are released. We just sold ours in 3 weeks for 99% of asking. The people who live here are so active that you would never be able to guess their ages. Believe me no one sits in a rocking chair all day. Well except me as I'm going through some problems from a hip surgery. But once I get better I will be in our new home and doing all the things that they do.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:25 PM

5,825 posts, read 13,322,905 times
The positive is as you stated, no children, everything basically kept the same via an HOA, older neighbors.
IMO the negatives are: HOA, I lived in one for quite a few years and felt like I was living in a dictatorship, from telling me what flowers I could plant in my window box, holiday decorations, front door color, etc. We have friends who live in The Villages. One couple loves it, the other hates it. They dislike it because there are many cliques and back stabbing. As stated by one of the other posters, some 55+ communities are active retirees with many activities while others are inactive and stay to themselves.
Interesting article:http://www.nextavenue.org/blog/homes...eid=9ede99f612

Old 03-26-2015, 05:42 PM

5,259 posts, read 3,023,279 times
HOAs are not all the same. A major problem is that some people move in expecting to live like they were on a large piece of land in the country. The purpose of HOAs is to keep the neighborhood looking respectable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or