U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best, most afffordable small city to retire to....
Boise ID 6 6.19%
Spokane WA 6 6.19%
Roanoke VA 9 9.28%
Ocala FL 11 11.34%
Fayettville AR 10 10.31%
Sebring FL 4 4.12%
Charleston WV 1 1.03%
Athens OH 3 3.09%
Asheville NC 18 18.56%
Branson MO 2 2.06%
Rapid City SD 6 6.19%
Greenville SC 21 21.65%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:40 AM

16,370 posts, read 10,358,028 times

Advertisements

List of Veterans Affairs medical facilities by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

maybe you should start here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 09:08 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,301,346 times
According to CBS ...
10 most affordable U.S. cities to retire - CBS News

Or Caring.com...
https://www.caring.com/articles/10-b...e-on-the-cheap

Or US News....
The 10 Best Places to Retire in 2012 - US News

Or The AARP...
10 Affordable Cities for Retirement - Where To Live, Best Places, Cities - AARP

One with low/no taxes,
doesn't taxes pensions or social security,
good health care near by,
Plenty of shopping/restaurants,
golf courses near by,
warm weather....

I would be looking at Decatur, Ala.
http://www.decaturalabamausa.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decatur,_Alabama

http://www.city-data.com/city/Decatur-Alabama.html

Just a personal choice... Best of luck on your decision...

Last edited by Litefoot; 03-29-2015 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 03-29-2015, 09:40 AM

5,416 posts, read 5,117,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
I read about NM, Santé Fe is way too expensive.
For NM check out La Luz foothills, Mountain Park, and High Rolls, all sparsely populated communities in the mountains near Alamogordo.

Also look at Sierra Vista and Bisbee in AZ.

All these have about the nicest climate in the country outside of the southern CA coast (low 50s to 60 in winter, and mid 80s to low 90s in summer, with most rain in the summer). But they favor someone who appreciates lots of sun, lack of mosquitoes and such. It might be too dry for you, though the ones in NM have good vegetation and pinion and juniper trees.

EDIT: If you want to be closer to a larger city, the East Mountain area near Albuquerque is very nice. I'm there right now. Plenty of 2-5 acre properties, that aren't too expensive.

Last edited by rruff; 03-29-2015 at 10:04 AM..

Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,339,474 times
Quote:
There are many cheap places in the USA I can buy a nice home on a couple of acres. Eastern TN is one of them too....but not sure, due to what I have read about the area, being very distant to outsiders, and etc...and crime issues and folks just not liking it there once they moved there. That is just from some stuff on some threads on the area on CD that I read. I have no idea, just going on what I read on CD sometimes about places that folks move to. Seems like I read the most bad stuff about FL once folks relocate there, and after a few years, they seem to want to fly out of there fast. Asheville is getting more and more expensive fast it seems, so housing wise, it is still a possibility, but I keep reading that stuff is expensive in NC, overall. I could be wrong though.
You should add New York's Chautauqua and Cattaraugus Counties as well as Pennsylvania's Erie and Warren Counties to your list of potential retirement areas. Erie, PA is a very nice medium size metros with most services. Smaller cities and towns dot the area: Jamestown, NY, Olean, NY, Westfield, NY, Dunkirk-Fredonia, NY, Corry PA, Warren, Pa, Edinboro, PA. There's state colleges/universities in Fredonia, NY, Edinboro, PA, and Erie, PA as well as private and community colleges to give the towns some ambiance and sophistication. I-90, I-86, I-79 plus numerous other state highways connect you to large metros like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. There are VA hospitals in both Erie, PA and in Buffalo.

The climate is colder in winter than some places on your list, but not worse than Idaho I would think, but we're probably snowier. Summers are somewhat humid but very pleasant because of Lake Erie.

The area boasts all kinds of recreational opportunities. There's Chautauqua Lake, the Allegheny Reservoir, and numerous other smaller lakes and rivers and creeks for boating, kayaking, and fishing. In addition to the Allegheny National Forest south of Warren, PA, there's great state parks in both states as well as some local parks. There are also hiking trails in Chautauqua County, and numerous state forests in both NY counties.

The best part is that you can certainly find decent houses on acreage for well under $240k here.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:02 AM
mlb

3,197 posts, read 2,862,863 times
Quote:
If I had a higher housing budget then it would be Boise. But wanting some acreage has compelled me to broaden by search. Just like other retirees who may be on a fixed income, they are in some cases, likely to leave CA behind and move to say eastern TN, or somewhere in KY, cause they money will stretch further, I am sure there are many Californians in TN. Makes it hard to narrow it down to just one place, that is the reason for this thread, to contribute to helping me possibly do so. Just gives me other ideas from other people. I guess it is kind of scary leaving the place you know so well, for another place you don't.
Not too many years ago we traveled from Salt Lake to the Oregon coast by way of Boise......

Had been there years ago. Holy Cow has it grown. Meridian is now a suburb of Boise and the traffic is horrific.

Anytime you want "acreage" just outside a city - be ready for that city to grow out to you. Because that's what'll happen.

We plan on buying land in rural California - but have no doubts that whatever city we are nearest to - that we'll eventually be swallowed up by it. But in 30 years we'll be gone. Makes for a good investment.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 AM

28,544 posts, read 62,270,607 times
One more time: set the acreage goal as the SECONDARY objective.

Focus on finding a community that suits with people you'll like as neighbors and friends
and who in turn will like having you among them. You probably have a "top three" in mind already.

Narrow that short list down and move in. RENT there for a year or two.
Make those friends, poke around in the corners, confirm the assumptions.

THEN, if still inclined to purchase your own place...
look for the best deal nearby that you can afford to buy THERE.
And regardless of the land area that might allow for.

But the THERE should come first.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:30 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,116,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I'm a boomer. Just curious why older people want to get away from areas with the best health care and hospitals, namely, large cities.
Your posting prompts me to follow up on my own earlier post about Lexington, Ky. It's the regional medical center for the eastern third of the state, and has very fine facilities and an ample supply of health care. The population it serves would be comparable to a large city. That's possibly another plus for that area over some others being discussed.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:49 PM

3,492 posts, read 4,963,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Here are two properties in or near Boise, one with five acres and one with seventeen. They're both under 200k.

Tell us what's wrong with these so that we may have a better idea of what you require.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...200000/ofbm-10
This post was not answered. I checked the link and the five acre property near Boise sounds exactly like what you (OP) are seeking. The property was listed at 150k. If this isn't the kind of property you are looking for, please clarify what you are seeking so people can help more.

Being a geography nut, with your qualifications for affordability and my personal preference that no one should live in fear of hurricanes, I'd put Idaho and North Carolina as the top options by a mile.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 PM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
Coastal North Carolina might beg to differ… Idaho sounds great.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:48 PM

2,101 posts, read 2,161,027 times
yea I am back and forth with some places, in some regards, due to the potential of tornadoes in certain areas, for whatever reason. I already put up about 5 links of properties that are along the lines of what I am looking for, go back on this thread a few pages, and you will find them. Seeking newer homes that are 0 to 20 years old, at least 1800 sq ft, with at least 1 to 10 acres....property taxes in NY and in PA keep me away from those places, along with high utility costs, and no amble property tax exemption's for service connected veterans, as well as the heavy snowfall. Plus I believe a lot of those areas are very depressed. Yes I am looking to rent a month to month efficiency prior to buying anywhere I land. Heavily populated areas, and traffic is a no go, but being on the outskirts of a relatively safe medium sized city is fine. I am well aware of the very high property tax rates and high utility costs of New England, as much as places like NH, and VT fascinate me, and especially in Maine, those items cancel them out for me. Maine does have plenty of homes on acreage though, thru out the state. Very high electric costs and all propane oil heat in those parts though, and high property taxes too. Upstate NY as well...plus again, the heavy snowfall.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 03-29-2015 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or