Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best, most afffordable small city to retire to....
Boise ID 6 6.12%
Spokane WA 6 6.12%
Roanoke VA 10 10.20%
Ocala FL 11 11.22%
Fayettville AR 10 10.20%
Sebring FL 4 4.08%
Charleston WV 1 1.02%
Athens OH 3 3.06%
Asheville NC 18 18.37%
Branson MO 2 2.04%
Rapid City SD 6 6.12%
Greenville SC 21 21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,086 times

Advertisements

Hi there, looking for a smallish, pretty city, or large town, to retire to. I would be looking to live on the outskirts of any of these locations, in the more rural, outlying areas, in the country side. I would love to remain out here in the PNW, but it is simply too expensive. I am looking to use my VA home loan and get into a nice house on some acreage. Hard to accomplish that with a budget of 240k and under, anywhere in the PNW. Including Spokane. Boise is one of my fav places, and I could get plenty of house there, but would not get the acreage with it, in my price range. I am single, a young retiree, and here are some places I been considering. I put the places in a poll for folks to vote on. I am looking for a place with low utility bills, and a lower cost of living. Please see poll to vote and any comments are welcome. I did put down Boise and Spokane, but finding a home on some acreage in both those towns, would be challenging. But I listed them down nonetheless. Thanks for your help.

I forget to add Lexington KY to my poll......any comments are welcome..thanks again.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 03-26-2015 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 04:28 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I suspect that Arkansas, Alabama, and Louisiana will have the most affordable properties. Can't offer comments on their compatibility with your lifestyle since I do not know you nor have I been to those states. Photos are pretty though. Are you forced to retire at your early age, or is it a choice?

Old 03-26-2015, 05:00 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
I'd go smaller than what you have listed. Don't think of the cities you listed as "smallish". If I were looking for what you are, I'd hunt for a place about 10-20 miles away from a city of about 50,000 population.

For example, instead of Spokane, I'd look at Chaney, (which usually ranks pretty high on desirable retirement locations). (I realize that Spokane is a lot larger than 50K, but you get the idea.)

Old 03-26-2015, 05:00 PM

I don't think LA is a place I would consider to be honest. My lifestyle is really stay at home type, and maybe some outdoor stuff. I just like pretty nature, due to it being in such great abundance here in the PNW. I like mountains, but I could settle for nice hills, forest, such as in Roanoke, or NW AR, and etc. Or, I could handle the greenery and nearby ocean in FL, but find FL somewhat seedy, and not sure if I would enjoy living there or not. I have been there many times over the years to visit, but have never been to Ocala, which would be on the only few areas I would consider in FL. I have read a lot about NW Arkansas and other then not having a good airport, it looks like a nice place. I know nothing about Roanoke, but heard there is a good VA in Salem, and it is also near the Blue Ridge Mountains. I am retired, that is all that is necessary for one to know. Just trying to get some feedback on the places on my list and maybe some other retiree's perspectives on where they went and if they know about any of the places on my poll, and what there opinions may be.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:03 PM

Yes that is what I am aiming for, and kind of mean, for instance Spokane has around 500k, but go out to Newport or up to Hayden in Idaho, then we are talking a couple thousand people. Same with Fayetteville AR, go out 20 miles east and your in Huntsville AR, population something like 2k, same with Eureka Springs....I do not intend on living in any of the cities on the list, but on the their outskirts, like 10, to 40 miles out and etc......the more rural areas, if you will. Open to areas also not on the poll if anyone has found their little slice of retiree paradise. Thanks again.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:14 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
I retire next year, at which time I will be moving to somewhere in eastern CdA, Hayden, or maybe even Rathdrum. Was originally planning on Wyoming, but I've discovered that housing is a bit more expensive than in NID, there are no tennis leagues, and sculling locations are rare. Love the freedom and attitude of Wyoming; it's just not the best fit for me and what I want to do in my retirement years. If I didn't care about tennis and rowing so much, and house prices weren't out-of-line, I'd be moving to either Powell, Cody, or Sheridan.

About fifteen-twenty years ago, NASA mandated that the place I currently work reduce its personnel compliment to 5,000. A lot of us were worried about losing our jobs. I got to thinking where I would live . . . and after much thought, decided that I would have to be in the Rockies or west of them. I would be totally miserable in the high humidity of some place east of the Rocky Mountains. Something to ponder, if climate is important to you.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:34 PM

I don't know, I spent time stationed in VA and a few other places in the south some time ago. I normally get along with everyone. I have found that the home prices in northern Idaho are going up, and the acreage is hard to come by, unless you have around a 300k, to 400k housing budget to play with. Which I don't. Same issue in Rapid City, where I would love to live. There is more acreage to be had on the Spokane side, in places like Newport, Colville, Ford and etc.....but winters will be longer and stronger the further north you go from Spokane itself. I have read about folks leaving those areas, and looking to Boise due to the winters up in N Idaho and Spokane. Spokane itself, has crime stats that are off the charts from a few websites I checked out as well. Though I read that Spokane had a mild winter this year, and tend to every now and then. Looks like the USA is getting longer and tougher winters though in many parts each year. Sheridan WY might be too isolated for me, closest city being Billings MT, and Sheridan is not cheap.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 03-26-2015 at 05:52 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 05:47 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Yachats Oregon

Old 03-26-2015, 05:49 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Was originally planning on Wyoming, but I've discovered that housing is a bit more expensive than in NID, there are no tennis leagues, and sculling locations are rare. If I didn't care about tennis and rowing so much, and house prices weren't out-of-line, I'd be moving to either Powell, Cody, or Sheridan.
Volosong,
Wow, I am so glad to see another person who care so much about rowing like me. I have been rowing/sculling on the Hudson River for the last 13 years and would like to continue for many more years to come. Proximity to a rowing club (and an airport - flying is my other serious hobby) is what rule out a number of possible retirement states.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:50 PM

Yachats is too far from any VA facility, that is likely a beautiful place, but too tiny and too far from anything, and housing is high there, population 700, I think much too small with no small cities anywhere close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement