Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best, most afffordable small city to retire to....
Boise ID 6 6.12%
Spokane WA 6 6.12%
Roanoke VA 10 10.20%
Ocala FL 11 11.22%
Fayettville AR 10 10.20%
Sebring FL 4 4.08%
Charleston WV 1 1.02%
Athens OH 3 3.06%
Asheville NC 18 18.37%
Branson MO 2 2.04%
Rapid City SD 6 6.12%
Greenville SC 21 21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,857,505 times

Advertisements

I voted for Fayetteville, AR because it's where I'm from. Not exactly a "small town" with over 500,000 people in the metro area, but there are beautiful areas of town, and smaller towns surrounding Fayetteville.

Want a small quiet town? Try Ridgway, Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 09:28 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,589,058 times
For someone who seeks a peaceful place, why are you listing so many crime centers? Asheville is a third higher than the US average; Fayetteville and Greenvile are up there as well. There may be more on your list. I'd consider a suburb or exurb of someplace with the services you require. For example, Weirton, WV is an exurb of Pittsburgh. Alpena, AR is close to Branson. Both of these places are dirt cheap. Weirton has a crime rate 2/3 below the US average. There are no figures for Alpena, but it's probably even lower.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Weirto...-Virginia.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Alpena-Arkansas.html

Old 03-27-2015, 11:02 AM

123 posts, read 240,855 times
Yes I would ask what exactly "peaceful" means. I am in Greenville SC and it is a ruckus here. Traffic has become insane around much of the area, people are threatening to boycott some of the commercial corridors it is so bad. Road rage is at epidemic levels for sure. Also, if peaceful refers to crime, it is at least "above average" here in Greenville. Tons of property crime and quite a lot of violent crime as well (outside of the affluent Eastside suburbs mainly), the crime index here is like 250 on a scale where 100 is average.

Also, Greenville is too big to be called a "small" city. The census released this past week puts Greenville County at almost 500,000 people now, or over 10% of the population in all of SC squeezed into one county.

I would call it mid-sized and moderately peaceful to be more accurate.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,433,957 times
Overall, I really like Virginia, but unlike many others, I find Roanoke a rather depressing area. There are many places in VA I would choose before Roanoke -- and I prefer western NC to most of Virginia. I am not a big fan of Asheville; much prefer the NW "tip" of NC - Boone.

I like Johnson County, Kansas - and would have liked to have retired there but hubby just can't deal with the winters (and he lived there for over 40 years so I guess he should know how he feels about the weather).

We have family in Ocala, Florida and I think that is a place I could settle into and be satisfied.

Not that fond of the PNW . . . love parts of Montana but it is just too expensive to live where I would want to live.

Phoenix is interesting.

We like the Dallas suburbs.

But we are staying in western NC.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,959,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
Overall, I really like Virginia, but unlike many others, I find Roanoke a rather depressing area. There are many places in VA I would choose before Roanoke -- and I prefer western NC to most of Virginia. I am not a big fan of Asheville; much prefer the NW "tip" of NC - Boone.

I like Johnson County, Kansas - and would have liked to have retired there but hubby just can't deal with the winters (and he lived there for over 40 years so I guess he should know how he feels about the weather).

We have family in Ocala, Florida and I think that is a place I could settle into and be satisfied.
I believe Ocala is a significant sinkhole area, a few years ago one swallowed a lake. Seem to remember a lot of central FL is prone. I love parts of Kansas but not for its tornados.

I am always surprised at the divergent views of Roanoke. Some are impressed, others not at all. We drove through a depressing part and that did color our perception quite a bit, but then again most cities have their bad parts. Depends on what angle you experience it from.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,183,360 times
No need to prod into past posts from a time ago. That is history. Please keep feedback on trying to help with current post or I don't need your input at all. For the rest of the feedback, I thank you all. Buying a home and moving is much more big a deal then just moving and renting somewhere, where you can up and leave when you want. Hence I am taking my time, with this move. Even if it takes time, then such is life. There is no huge rush.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 03-27-2015 at 02:38 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 02:30 PM

554 posts, read 744,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Yea so tough, makes me leery of actually buying a home, but rather just being a renter, and not take the risk,.. but sure would be nice to have some space and some land for once...
I haven't seen anyone else recommend it ... but, you oughta seriously consider renting a place for at least 6 months, once you've decided where to re-settle. Live there awhile, to get "the lay of the land" in the town, maybe find a nice neighborhood or area outside of town to consider purchasing a property in, and actually see how things 'gel' for you.

We're close to retiring, too - a couple of years, anyway - and will be relocating to our retirement haven, where-ever that is. One thing for certain, we're going to rent / lease a place initially, and then, if the place suits us, consider actually purchasing property.

Last Thing (from me): I lived in Ocala (FL), with my retired, elderly parents, some 10-12 years ago, and found the area to be pretty 'slow', in terms of convenient roads & traffic, and a lack of any real "culture", other than "Adult-55+" communities (i.e. "Rolling Greens", and "Silver Shores").
In Summer, without fail, a rainstorm (sometimes thunder-storm) crops up over Central Florida, causing the already-high humidity to nudge even higher. The temperature only moderates a little-bit afterward, so the comfort level depends on what you consider "comfortable" ...
I was glad to leave Ocala.

YMMV - Maybe it's someplace you would like ... TC ...

Old 03-27-2015, 02:31 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,505,532 times
I just read Waco TX was a good place to retire.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,183,360 times
I have read that about Roanoke, that is was gritty, but sure is in a beautiful setting. And you have Lynchburg, Salem and etc.....nearby. Ocala, I think the sinkholes are mainly around Spring Hill, southeast of Ocala, and not so much in Ocala, from what I understand they happen in KY too...and some other places. Yea not quite sure if FL is the place to retire to, or just good for vacationing. I am trying to do that, rent for awhile somewhere first, then see. I was infatuated with Berea KY for a time.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:18 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,880,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Buying a home and moving is much more big a deal then just moving and renting somewhere

Hence I am taking my time, with this move.
Even if it takes time, then such is life. There is no huge rush.
Since you raised these points... I'd suggest you do the rent thing.

Focus on the 2 or 3 areas that suit best.
Rent a furnished apt or sublet for 3-6 months at each location.

Make some friends and approach the property search as a LOCAL there.
Ideally with the help of LOCAL friends. Tramp around in the woods.

Have a solid reason to be in town X independent of the specific property you might own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement