Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best, most afffordable small city to retire to....
Boise ID 6 6.12%
Spokane WA 6 6.12%
Roanoke VA 10 10.20%
Ocala FL 11 11.22%
Fayettville AR 10 10.20%
Sebring FL 4 4.08%
Charleston WV 1 1.02%
Athens OH 3 3.06%
Asheville NC 18 18.37%
Branson MO 2 2.04%
Rapid City SD 6 6.12%
Greenville SC 21 21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:24 PM

292 posts, read 357,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I just read Waco TX was a good place to retire.
And they've got Chip and JoJo Gaines!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 05:21 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,172,279 times
Yea, Fayetteville AR, has been on my radar pretty heavily for while now, meaning out in the countryside of Fayetteville, places like Bella Vista, Huntsville, etc. As far as crime, that is one thing I like about Boise a lot, for a growing place of 500k or so, it has a pretty low crime rate and is a very popular place for folks to relocate to here out west. I just cant find a home on a few acres there in my price range. Idaho does have the 2nd lowest electricity rates in the USA as well. Great people, beautiful and clean city though, and nice natural setting. I was there about 4 months ago looking at brand new homes in and around the 200k to 235k range, loved them all, but they had like .17, acre, or .20 acres, so tiny yards in these new subdivisions. So I held up, and chose to wait and keep my eyes on Boise, for any property to pop up with some land. More likely to occur up in Spokane, or rather out in the countryside of Spokane, there I was finding some decent acreage, but with crappy older homes setting on the land. Then you start looking at Branson MO, or around NWA, you find both nice home and acreage together. But I also realize that these locations are in Tornado valley somewhat. So I been hesitant there too.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,925,669 times
Seems like you need to nail down the general area first, as it's easy to be all over the U.S. map with no hope of being able to focus in. After you know your general area, then compare towns. Then call a realtor and get shown round.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:40 PM

If I had a higher housing budget then it would be Boise. But wanting some acreage has compelled me to broaden by search. Just like other retirees who may be on a fixed income, they are in some cases, likely to leave CA behind and move to say eastern TN, or somewhere in KY, cause they money will stretch further, I am sure there are many Californians in TN. Makes it hard to narrow it down to just one place, that is the reason for this thread, to contribute to helping me possibly do so. Just gives me other ideas from other people. I guess it is kind of scary leaving the place you know so well, for another place you don't.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:50 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,639,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
If I had a higher housing budget then it would be Boise.
But wanting some acreage has compelled me to broaden by search.
On this point I'll suggest another compromise:
own near someone else's property ...specifically a State or Federal park or Forest.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,547,335 times
Quote:
If I had a higher housing budget then it would be Boise. But wanting some acreage has compelled me to broaden by search. Just like other retirees who may be on a fixed income, they are in some cases, likely to leave CA behind and move to say eastern TN, or somewhere in KY, cause they money will stretch further, I am sure there are many Californians in TN. Makes it hard to narrow it down to just one place, that is the reason for this thread, to contribute to helping me possibly do so. Just gives me other ideas from other people. I guess it is kind of scary leaving the place you know so well, for another place you don't.
Here are two properties in or near Boise, one with five acres and one with seventeen. They're both under 200k.

Tell us what's wrong with these so that we may have a better idea of what you require.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...200000/ofbm-10

Old 03-27-2015, 06:24 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,674,874 times
Quote:
Well I was looking more outside of Lexington, like Berea, or Danville and etc....as for Idaho Falls, it was very high on my list, they even have a shuttle bus called the salt lake express I think....that runs down to SLC a few times a day, so one can get to the airport in SLC. Trouble with Idaho Falls, is...one thing, too me, the very long, and very cold winters and wind that goes along with it, from what I read. It just seems to me, that when I get on the Idaho Falls thread, people will not hide the fact that the winters are long and hard there. But it does seems like Idaho Falls, is one of the few clean, growing, non-overly populated areas of the USA, that has low crime, and beautiful nature nearby, and jobs for those who need work, think there is some huge laboratory there that employs a lot of people from all over. Yes I have considered Idaho Falls many times, but the long winters stop me. I have only really considered Colorado Springs and Grand Junction in CO....but have not considered them that deeply. I looked more at Boise, Idaho Falls, and Rapid City...in regard to western cities and places. Been to Denver, didn't care for it all that much. Plus it is expensive as heck, and too dang crowded.
Just a follow up. My wife has family in Berea right now. While it still has some charm in is now the southern edge of the Lexington sprawl. I read one of your later posts, too, and you are correct about East Tennessee, much like anywhere east of Berea, KY, quite clannish. Now if you can carefully fit in you have no better friends. But it would be a long, slow process. We lived in the south, Midwest, and Texas for years. The only place I flat out despised was Texas--and I know many Texans who would be nowhere else. For me it's way too hot, too humid, and too flat.

I agree, Idaho Falls has long and windy winters--not so much snow--- but less windy by far than say, Wyoming.
I would stay clear of the south unless you are in love with humidity---and I'm originally from Mobile, AL, but would never return.

The West is definitely less crowded, and Idaho has the best COL of all of them. If you go the Boise route, you might look at Eastern Oregon. There is land in Eastern Oregon and several small towns within an hour of Boise.

Once I found the West, I just never wanted to go back. I just wish we could have found somewhere besides the front range----but then there is that granddaughter, and my years are shortening.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:53 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,639,942 times
Milton-Freewater, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://myspace.com/miltonfreewater
which later became

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqcRx-ydsBA

Most of these folks are from B'more
where I'd see them live semi regularly

Deanna is still out there...
often heard live on KPIG
(the best radio station in the US)
https://www.kpig.com/listen/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MF28HZDdVU

Old 03-27-2015, 08:11 PM

I think that is a good point, it is hard leaving the west coast, and all those wide open spaces, and huge mountain ranges and thin populations. That west coast spirit, hard to beat once you've been in it for so long. Just the notion of how large and thinly populated those states are like MT, ID, WA, and etc...makes it tough to leave...even hearing MT being referred to as "Big Sky Country" touches my soul...

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 03-27-2015 at 08:39 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 11:52 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,554,322 times
Bear in mind that when you leave WA you are leaving a no income tax state. That makes a difference, even to retirees.

When you look at Rapid City, take a quick trip down to Hot Springs SD. VA center there, base of the Black Hills, very affordable, and no income tax.

And having lived near Fayetteville AR, I'd like to warn you that NW AR is getting crowded with retirees. Yes, it's pretty, but it is also VERY conservative. Unless you're a religious christian, I wouldn't recommend the Fayetteville area. On the other hand, if church and guns are your thing, then be my guest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement