U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 PM

12,245 posts, read 17,986,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You need groceries?
You need to go to the Doctor?
You need to go to the bank?
You want to go to the store?

How will you deal with that?

I either walk, buss or train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 08:58 PM

7,895 posts, read 5,028,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Meh. My 82-year-old mother can't remember what year it is or what she did an hour ago but she has no problem buying things on the internet. The UPS truck in the driveway is a daily occurrence. Her computer literacy ends at a web browser and email but that allows her to buy pretty much anything she needs.
It's less a question of ignorance, than (1) principled resistance to change, and (2) mistrust. My mother was born in a society where the powers-that-be regularly spied on private citizens. The year of her birth was infamous for show-trials, mass arrests and executions. Yes, that was many decades ago, and 6000 miles away. But old habits die hard. She'd struggle not to put a pillow over the telephone, when discussing "sensitive" topics at home. Jokingly, I suggested that she should just unplug the phone. She retorted that so doing would alert the authorities that something nefarious was afoot.

She'd never use the internet to buy something, because it's dangerous and risks identity fraud and who knows what else. Granted, her example is extreme, but how many elderly people share her suspicion and her discomfort with novelty? Isn't it normal and common, for perfectly rational people to grow suspicious as they age, for example shredding all of their snail-mail before disposing of it, lest some crook steal their ID?

I'm only in my 40s, but I am unable to use devices with a "virtual" keyboard on the screen. I need a real keyboard, with keys. If the computers of 10-20 years from now completely dispense with keyboards, I'm going to have a severe problem on my hands (literally).

Technology is a wonderful thing, but I reiterate that it's unrealistic to expect for the elderly to use new technology as compensation for their diminished physical abilities.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:42 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Thank you for pointing this out! It takes far more stamina and physical function to walk to the bus stop, to wait for the bus, to exit the bus in a timely manner, etc., than it does to drive. Public transportation is a great solution for people whose eyesight has failed, and who accordingly can't drive anymore, but who are otherwise healthy and vigorous. It's exactly the wrong solution for people who are physically frail. For them a car is more comfortable.

I marvel at the ubiquitous testaments of elderly people espousing digital technology as replacement for the old manual way of doing things. How can this be? By way of example, my late mother drove a manual-transmission car until her late 60s. She regularly checked the oil, and could pinpoint with fair accuracy the mechanical cause of some rumble or tick in the car. A chemical engineer by profession, she had a passable understanding of carpentry and mechanics, air conditioning and irrigation and all sorts of technological things around the house. She studied up on law, hand-writing an elegant and legally unimpeachable will all by herself. But she never figured out the internet. She never owned a cell phone, or ordered anything online. She used a rotary-dial phone until around 5 years ago. She never had cable TV, or Skype, or even rented a video tape from the video store. If it was 1970 technology or earlier, she'd comprehend it with flair and aplomb. But anything with an integrated circuit scared her. Vacuum tubes that she understood. But ordering books from amazon.com? Forget it.

My point is: how can we expect the elderly who are no longer able to drive, to suddenly adopt the manners and methods of the Millennials, living comfortably the digital life?
I don't think you are getting the idea. No one has to live a "digital life." I don't depend upon the Internet for anything. I only used it as an example of one option for people as one resource for obtaining goods or services if they so choose. I don't order necessities from Amazon or anyplace else. I use it more for fun things. I am the last person who "lives a digital life" with a 10 year old computer and a six year old clam shell cell phone. My landline is so old I don't know its age.

We are discussing people who can no longer drive because of physical disabilities and what their options might be in lieu of driving. Frail people can have just as much difficulty with driving as taking a bus. The question here is what happens if you no longer have a choice in the matter not what would you choose. Of course if you can drive, by all means keep driving for as long as it is safe. I would be the first to say that just as I would like to continue taking the bus for as long as I can to shop and get to where I need to go.

It's not an adversarial issue, public transportation v driving. It's all about what someone is capable of doing. Once I find I can no longer deal with the challenges of taking public transportation, I will take advantage of the alternatives I mentioned in my previous post. I do a little of that now. When the city bus schedule doesn't match well with a doctor appointment. I call on the transportation van my local senior center offers for a ride.

Options like this are open to those who can no longer drive, do not wish to or are not able to take public transportation due to failing health. Some people are able to call on friends or relatives to help take them places.

The point is, sometimes when we get older we have to adapt to a different way of life whether or not we want to. If we plan ahead and research all options ahead of time we will be ahead of the game. If we sit stubbornly in one place refusing to admit we might have to make changes as we age, we will only make it more difficult for ourselves should the time ever come when we have to make those changes.

As for me, I am holding onto my bus pass until I absolutely have to let go.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:10 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,136,718 times
Not trying to be mean here, but I think a few of you who truly believe that living healthily and having good genes somehow excludes you from premature death or serious injury may be in for a shock one of these days. Accidents happen all the time.

I've always tried to live healthily, and I come from a great gene pool (grandmother lived to just shy of 99 - in good health and with all her marbles etc. She never had a driver's license), but that didn't stop my Ford F150 from falling off the mountain due to mechanical failure. I survived that crash but not without serious injuries. By the Grace of God I've survived a plane crash too and several other minor vehicular accidents (none of them my fault).

Stuff happens, folks, and it can happen to you just as easily as it happened to me - or anyone else so afflicted. I think it's both responsible and useful to have a contingency plan in place - just in case the sky does fall on you.

JMHO YMMV.

Mahrie.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:25 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
^^^
Exactly.
When I think of being unable to drive, I think more about eyesight than any other failing.

If there were a taxi or Uber service in my town, I'd be thrilled, but there is no such thing. I intend to have enough money to hire someone for some small driving should I be unable to drive. If it's because of disability/frailty, I might have then decided to move to a continuing care community. I absolutely love my house and its setting and it's suitable for older age but is car-dependent, even though most things I need regularly are within three miles (and my healthcare and hospital are eight miles on a good road). I'd have to be in pretty tough shape to be unable to drive at all, but of course, it can happen, whether or not one eats fast food or whatever.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:55 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Boompa,

1) groceries are delivered in my city; three major grocery stores in my city have websites where you can order online, or you can order by phone.

2) most all banking can be done on the internet and by mailing in deposits.

3) many cities, including mine, have special transportation vans for senior citizens and the disabled to take them anywhere they want to go including doctor appointments

4) store? I've ordered everything online for about 7 years. Household items, clothes, groceries, everything.

For transportation, if one is physically able, there is the city bus system, some light rail, and taxis. I have arthritis, so I use the special transit vans provided for senior citizens and disabled.

I realize, of course, that not everyone has the resources I have listed.

Walmart has an excellent Home Mail Delivery system for prescriptions. All done via the internet (or phone) after mailing them your prescription slips or doctors actually electronically transmit your initial prescription slips to Walmart's Home Delivery system. You can also use Walmart's Home Delivery system by using the phone each time rather than the internet. Other sources such as Humana have home delivery for prescriptions too....Humana's is called RightSourceRx. Allina has one too.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-29-2015 at 03:05 AM..

Old 03-29-2015, 05:07 AM

19,780 posts, read 19,880,941 times
A question for those of you that have used or do use the senior van service.
A few of my neighbors have and they all complained that while it usually picked them up and got them where they needed to go in a reasonable amount of time, there was absolutely no assurance of when they would be picked up and brought back home.
In several cases a trip for a 10AM doctor's apt, for instance, resulted in not getting back home until 2 or 3 in the afternoon leaving them sitting in the doctor's office for two or more hours.
Is this just an unusual local problem?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:36 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
A few of my neighbors have and they all complained that while it usually picked them up and got them where they needed to go in a reasonable amount of time, there was absolutely no assurance of when they would be picked up and brought back home.
In several cases a trip for a 10AM doctor's apt, for instance, resulted in not getting back home until 2 or 3 in the afternoon leaving them sitting in the doctor's office for two or more hours.
You do have to wait sometimes. My mother gets transported for medical procedures. They will drop her off and when it is over, the doctors office calls the company. Depending on workload, traffic, yes you might have to wait.

Great time to catch up on reading.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:03 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I don't know, but I do know from experience that any form of public transportation can make a short trip (by car or taxi) into a much longer one, depending on circumstances. Nowadays with Nooks, ipads, etc someone waiting can while away their time just as if they were at home. They should remember to take snacks and water wherever they go.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:07 AM

2,291 posts, read 4,943,964 times
Cute,,,,,young,,,chauffer. All these millennium's who claim they can't find a job, here is one for them, we baby boomers can keep them in business for many years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or