U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:49 AM

2,175 posts, read 1,275,056 times

Advertisements

That is what I was saying I was looking to do post tax treatment of excess RMD income. MJs point was I should already be balanced, and put any excess funds in the same balance. It will be a while before I will know what balanced is for me, so I'm not worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 12:04 PM

29,883 posts, read 34,936,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
That is what I was saying I was looking to do post tax treatment of excess RMD income. MJs point was I should already be balanced, and put any excess funds in the same balance. It will be a while before I will know what balanced is for me, so I'm not worried.
I deleted my post if that's what you are referring to. There is a disadvantage to dividend funds in taxable accounts as the dividends will be taxed even when reinvested so technically you will not have as much money at work. In a retirement account they keep working. I am like MJ and will have my RMD's go in the same type of taxable account. Either index funds with Fidelity or Vanguard. I will not draw from Active managed accounts. Look at to your portfolio's as one big one. I don't want a fund like Fidelity Growth fund in my taxable account. To much churning.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:10 PM

72,030 posts, read 72,043,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Is there a problem using "tax advantaged" retirement accounts exclusively for growth and "tax disadvantaged" non-retirement accounts for dividend income?

yes , absolutely the wrong thing to do . you ill take assets that get special capital gain rates or that can qualify for zero capital gains taxes and get them taxed at full income rates by putting them in a deductable ira.

equities in a roth or taxable account are where you can get low to know taxes on them , write off losses , pass tax free with all that growth to heirs.

you only want the interest bearing stuff or things like reits and commodities in your ira since they get taxed at regular rates regardless.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:30 PM

29,883 posts, read 34,936,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Read up there are a number of personal variables. Here is food to get you started:

Principles of tax-efficient fund placement - Bogleheads

Also factor in if you are in the accumulation or partial distribution stage and how those distributions will be used or reinvested. Are you withdrawing RMD's for income or because you legally have to? That will play a role in how you want your taxable accounts set up. For simplicity at this point I have three different taxable fund portfolios that will make it all easy in a few years.

Last edited by TuborgP; 04-25-2015 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 11:41 AM

2,175 posts, read 1,275,056 times
Thankyou! That is exactly what I was talking about. +rep 4 u!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or