U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 04:20 PM

29,791 posts, read 34,889,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Agree with MJ on that. Invest just as you always have. You have plenty of income. Again, do yearly Roth conversions.
Bada Bing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 05:12 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,853,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Agree with MJ on that. Invest just as you always have. You have plenty of income. Again, do yearly Roth conversions.

Just one point. You cannot put money into a Roth if you are not working.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the question is what would your allocations have been if you didn't have to take rmd's ?

that really should be the plan.

in my case my intentions are to just buy the same fidelity funds i have in my ira in my taxable account since i am comfortable with a 50/50 allocation.. if i find the volatility a bit to much i can always go more to my income and capital preservation model and less in the growth and income model since i use a mix of the two evenly split..
Bada Bing!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:11 PM

21,542 posts, read 44,060,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Just one point. You cannot put money into a Roth if you are not working.
Not talking about earned income. Talking about existing tax-deferred IRAs - which can be converted into a Roths at any time - whether or not you are working. Doing so means you pay tax on money converted and then it continues to grow tax-free in the Roth with no RMD requirement. Lots of people do this after retirement (and even before) - read comments upthread on this issue. I began last year with 25% of one IRA, converting another 25% this month. Once that IRA is all Roth, then I'll move on to the next one - converting as much as I can each year without jumping tax brackets.

Per IRS:
Quote:
How do I convert my traditional IRA to a Roth IRA?
You can convert your traditional IRA to a Roth IRA by:
  • Rollover – You receive a distribution from a traditional IRA and contribute it to a Roth IRA within 60 days after the distribution (the distribution check is payable to you);
  • Trustee-to-trustee transfer – You tell the financial institution holding your traditional IRA assets to transfer an amount directly to the trustee of your Roth IRA at a different financial institution (the distributing trustee may achieve this by issuing you a check payable to the new trustee);
  • Same trustee transfer – If your traditional and Roth IRAs are maintained at the same financial institution, you can tell the trustee to transfer an amount from your traditional IRA to your Roth IRA.
A conversion to a Roth IRA results in taxation of any untaxed amounts in the traditional IRA. The conversion is reported on Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs. See Publication 590-A, Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs), for more information.

http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/...th-Conversions

Old 04-25-2015, 02:11 AM

71,763 posts, read 71,853,273 times
just run the numbers before converting to see if they are doing any good.

unless you can convert money in a bracket below what you will be taxed at later or able to claim perks like tax free ss then it is likely not going to accomplish much converting .

basically if you can fill the 15% bracket with a conversion that will be taxed at 25% when rmd's or ss kick in then do it.

other wise it may not be worth it.

the reality is if you have a big enough ira the conversions that you can accomplish filling the 15% are like peeing in the ocean and do not alter much in the scheme of things.

with a 20k pension , 50-60k from fidelity in taxable distributions game is over for us even without ss in the equation so no roth conversions. we already ate up the 15% bracket from the start.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-25-2015 at 03:19 AM..

Old 04-25-2015, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
just run the numbers before converting to see if they are doing any good.

unless you can convert money in a bracket below what you will be taxed at later or able to claim perks like tax free ss then it is likely not going to accomplish much converting .

basically if you can fill the 15% bracket with a conversion that will be taxed at 25% when rmd's or ss kick in then do it.

other wise it may not be worth it.

the reality is if you have a big enough ira the conversions that you can accomplish filling the 15% are like peeing in the ocean and do not alter much in the scheme of things.

with a 20k pension , 50-60k from fidelity in taxable distributions game is over for us even without ss in the equation so no roth conversions. we already ate up the 15% bracket from the start.
Bada Bing and the reality that to high a income is not a bad thing!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:15 AM

71,763 posts, read 71,853,273 times
never a bad thing. in fact as much as we all complain , income taxes are really not all that bad today.

the effective rates can be quite low. we had a huge capital gain last year when our partner sold those commercial lease rights in nyc.

including a 17k amt tax penalty on top of the normal taxes and nyc and nys income tax we hit 31% from dollar 1. but the actual federal tax on almost 500k was only 21% including all surcharges and phase outs.

even while the rmd's look like a lot you have to remember that each year tax brackets allow more and more income through at lower rates. by the time i am ready for rmd's 125k may be the 15% bracket.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:38 AM

30,155 posts, read 47,378,519 times
We sold o/g properties in 2014 for nice amount but the recapture penalty raised the amount we owed significantly--we were in the 'ouchx3' bracket...

Old 04-25-2015, 10:49 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,270,292 times
Actually, that is another thing to check. Have the increases for each bracket simply been following inflation? Do the retirement calculators assume that as well?

Old 04-25-2015, 10:52 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,672,913 times
Is there a problem using "tax advantaged" retirement accounts exclusively for growth and "tax disadvantaged" non-retirement accounts for dividend income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or