U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 05:37 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times

Advertisements

^^^ Sound like some items were not hers to give away?

At least she called before throwing them out.

My Uncle still is upset Grandma threw out all his comic books when he went off to college... one was the first edition and apparently even today would be extremely valuable... I think he must be atleast 75 years old now.

What's a parent to do?

When I was a kid my Grandparents bought my a little red metal fire engine that I would basically live in as a 4 and 5 year old... it always stayed at their home far away...

As for my second home... it was 3 bedroom 1 bath all of 1200 square feet... it did have basement laundry room and a detached garage where I did a wall of shelves.

One time I went for a visit and noticed it was gone... Grandma put it on the curb when the town had cleanup day... oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 06:20 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,157,510 times
I've lived a transient life all my life. I'm also emigrating permanently come next year. Can't say I have the room, or budget to spare, to fit my family heirlooms in a suitcase or a 500 square foot "flat"

Old 03-29-2015, 06:29 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
A lot of my military friends are expert in keeping clutter in check... one is now deceased after being posted all over the world and even keeping things to a minimum had one piece or memento from each foreign posting... Philippines, Germany, Japan to name a few.

His funeral made the newspaper and was well attended... thing is his only child and only grandchild did not attend... a family friend took pictures of each room in the retirement home and everything the son wanted fit into a large cardboard box and was sent from California to Florida and those items mostly had to do with his Mom.

Son had no problem sending 99% of it to Goodwill.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,091,262 times
We're not rejecting your stuff because we only want the "latest and greatest" or whatever put down some of you come up with to rationalise our refusal.

Most of us are choosing smaller homes than prior generations: this means less space for stuff.

Much of what is being foisted upon us isn't treasure: it's useless. Rickety IKEA-grade furniture from the early 1990s isn't worth the effort to disassemble, move, and re-assemble. Many of us know that such quality does not survive a re-assembly ('tis a mystery of IKEA).

Your "vintage" China was purchased at Sears in 1972. Don't weep for it, it neither was nor is SŤvres china. This goes for your mis-matched Waterford/Lenox crystal, as well.

A vintage car? Signed art? Fin-de-siecle/gilded age mechanical toys? We'll talk.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:36 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,734,429 times
I tried to sell a TV armoire two years ago and learned then that there is absolutely no interest in such things. Even though it is solid wood that could be used to make something else, I can't even give it away. It still sits in a corner of the living room. Firewood, maybe?

Old 03-29-2015, 07:40 PM

3,758 posts, read 10,631,420 times
Aesthetics as always, are cyclical.

We seem to have passed out of the age of Victoriana and are firmly ensconced in "modernity" (which is why mid-century is so hot right now).

Of course, I grew up with mid-century, in a 1950s home and my husband and I have been buying "brown" furniture (Mahogany, its not really brown!) from the '30s/'40s left and right because its so cheap its free.

I always wanted it, loved it as a child in the homes of my older relatives, I always thought my parents mid-century furnishings were so plain.

I donated many pieces (step side tables *shudder*) that apparently I should have sold. Oh well... nothing to lose sleep over.

Again - to any future readers of this thread tasked with helping someone clean out their lifetime's accumulations -- DONATE. Its so horrible to hear people talk of throwing away hundreds of collectibles. Please donate to your local charitable organizations. Just because you or your family doesn't want them, doesn't mean the items can't do real good.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:06 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,314,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Weird decorative fabric things you're supposed to put on a table, or something? I have no idea what those are even called, but my mom has a closet filled with those.
You mean, like a TABLECLOTH?

Old 03-29-2015, 08:14 PM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times
I have a ton of old tablecloths, vintage, probably from the 50's, some never used, many heavy damask.

We're having a community garage sale next week, I'm selling all for $1 each, as is. Beats trying to sell on Ebay, worry about stains, mildew spots, cleaning, listing shipping or store and take with us...........also will sell a small china dessert set, brand new, worchestchestir (sp) china, my mother bought in England, still in wrappers, I think I will sell for $50

Have "hoarders' taken a look lately at the price of storage units? and the cost of storage materials, paper, bubble wrap, wrapping paper? Makes one think twice about the value of storing old stuff no one wants.....

Old 03-29-2015, 08:22 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,595,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I tried to sell a TV armoire two years ago and learned then that there is absolutely no interest in such things. Even though it is solid wood that could be used to make something else, I can't even give it away. It still sits in a corner of the living room. Firewood, maybe?
I was absolutely thrilled that we were able to sell our TV cabinet at our yardsale. That and a set of coffee and end tables got $20 but more important, it was gone. Honestly didn't think I'd get rid of it as no one has the old TVs anymore.

Can relate to what was thrown away years ago by parents. My brother was never happy when he found out his old comic books had dissappeared. But at least I have no one to blame than myself as I remember cleaning out and throwing away all my Beatles trading cards.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Well, when we keel over, we will be giving our household goods to Mexican families in Nogales, SN. They will put them to good use and be very happy for the high quality of furniture that we have. Besides, our nephews and nieces have way too much stuff anyway and do not appreciate well crafted items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or