U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 PM

9,676 posts, read 15,849,412 times

Advertisements

I think what's happened is....stuff went from old castoffs .....to junk....to vintage ...back to old castoff junk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 10:23 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,382,569 times
I didn't want my parents' stuff, either. It wasn't till I was older that anything had any sentimental value to me.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:45 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,452,949 times
I have noticed millennials seem to not have an interest in old things. Baby boomers were extremely nostalgic and my generation (gen X) is also nostalgic to a lesser extent. Millennials seem to care less about nostalgia or old things. What matters to them is technology and the newest things. They do not keep their mothers china nor do they have an old car in the garage. Some of them do have so much tech gagets that they might as well have Bill Gates on speed dial lol. I guess this bodes poorly for the future value of antiques and collectables.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:18 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,907,213 times
I got a real laugh out of this thread. My kids are the same, don't want the stuff. I didn't either when I was their age.

Right now I have a house full of my mother's antique furniture, mostly beautiful wood tiger eye dressers and a couple of Gone with the Wind globe lamps, a custom made by my Ggrandfather tall Tiffany lamp, Oriental vases and rugs and carved chests, and some other antique lamps and marble top pieces that came from the robber baron estate my grandfather worked on. I also have a collection of original art pieces and several original oil paintings and custom made armoire in rare wood.

One of the kid's styles is currently industrial which I can't stand and when I went there he had no plates, no silverware, and no glasses - he eats out all the time. He's threatening to donate the lot. Guess I'll never know but I'm enjoying them all immensely for the time being though I'm not replacing my 30 yr old leather couches which are still in decent shape. So far he appreciated the cookbooks, can't say why as he never uses them. The other one did take my burled wood grand upright piano I had reconditioned, and my step son whose mother is a librarian relieved me of 95% of my books. Only time will tell I suppose if they grow to appreciate these things.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:27 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,451,255 times
Having worked nonprofit most of my career, I know the wonder & awe of those in crisis who come across something they can afford for their new life. If your kids don't want it, those who have lost everything would certainly love and appreciate it. Just a thought.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:45 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,907,213 times
While mine are closer to museum pieces I agree with you meo92953. I once donated an entire apartment full of decent stuff to the 7th day Adventists because they gave everything away to those in need as opposed to selling it. I know having been really poor at one point that even a few dollars in cost can make a huge difference. The really important thing is that special pieces end up with someone who can love them like you do.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:50 AM

25,971 posts, read 32,970,649 times
As much as I would LOVE to have my mom's "stuff", I have no room for it. She has a house FULL of very nice things, but it is a large house, larger than mine, and I already have a fully furnished house, with MY nice things. I know it is frustrating for her that I can't take these - she sees it as "not wanting", but I just have no room.

An example....
I have one set of everyday dishes, that I have had for probably 30 years. I like them just fine. I also have a set of Lenox Holiday dishes, and those are stashed away in a cabinet and hardly every get used simply because they are so hard to get to. If I had even one more of dishes, where the hell would they go...in the attic? And why would I even want them if they had to go there?

Old 03-30-2015, 06:53 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,270,883 times
I think its just an age thing, not a generational thing. The older I get the more I want some of my parents sentimental things. Most millenials arent old enough yet to care about such things. However if you peruse through your local antique store youll find the occasional millenial in there. Personally I like when my mom hands me down her things, the only problem I have is when she has saved every little art piece i made as a kid....I dont want that crap lol. Boy was I a terrible "artist."

Old 03-30-2015, 07:05 AM

1,563 posts, read 821,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
We can't buy big houses on our incomes.

If we're lucky enough to have decent jobs, we can buy the old houses that the greatests and silents started out with in the 50s and 60s that have been rentals for the last 20 years. They have no storage space in them and are <1200sf so we have to think space-saving. It's actually a recent phenomenon for people to have a lot of stuff. In my housing price range I was amazed how little storage space older houses have (at least the older houses that belonged to normal, not the older houses of rich people, which are still for rich people).

Either that or we're living in apartments or townhomes with less space. I can't afford the kind of house my parents had and don't thing I ever will - mine is about 800sf smaller.

My dad had a ton of stuff that he loved dearly - collected antique furniture, knick-knacks, art. When he died I identified some representative pieces and sold the other 95% of it.
I agree with this. It's mostly a space issue with the demands of the modern economy, rather than a lack interest in aesthetics of the past. Technology also plays a role-- there's no need for a heavy trunk full of music or photo albums, because it can all fit on a storage disk or "in the cloud." As a person who relocates a lot for career purposes, I buy a lot of easily disposable goods and furniture. It's honestly a nice feeling to not get bogged down by possessions.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:50 AM

576 posts, read 444,558 times
I have no children so I have never been able to delude myself that anyone will want my stuff. But my semi-hoarder mother died in 2012, leaving a huge collection of teddybears, plus antique (early 20th century) dolls. We're talking 23 big moving cartons of bears, many with their own furniture. There is NO secondary market for this stuff. None. Ebay has killed the collectibles market entirely. I have donated at least $3000 worth ("worth" meaning "what she paid for them") of bears to charity thrift shops and tricky trays. Most of her furniture went to the Habitat ReStore. I have a dresser and a vanity and that's it. My husband died in 2013 and his treasured collection of all post-1980 comic books went to a friend because post-1980 comix are worth nothing.

I threw away thousands of old photos of people whom I have no idea who they are.

I think if you assume no one is going to want your stuff and that when you die, your stuff will end up in a dumpster or bonfire a la Charles Foster Kane, you're ahead of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or