U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 08:24 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,607,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LOL, Ultra, nothing that exotic. We collect classic Cub Cadet garden tractors from the 60's and 70's. We do have a JD model 30 backhoe, 1969 diesel.
Just a couple WW II vintage Farmalls here (1940 Farmall "A", and a 1949 Farmall "Cub")!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw2hx20n8nI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 10:15 PM

26,595 posts, read 52,444,015 times
If I was ever to become a hoarder... it would be old farm equipment with tractors topping the list...

The only antique tractors in the family were sold for scrap when my cousin was cleaning out the barn...

I don't think anyone in my family, millennial or not has much interest in old equipment... a few have expressed interest in my car collection much to their parents consternation... if it doesn't have side curtain airbags, abs, etc... well you know.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:11 PM

3,440 posts, read 3,992,195 times
"I'm with ya; thos rotary phones sell well on ebay! And '70's avocado and mustard, even better!" quote from CCc girl.

Mustard?? Mustard?? Excuse me, it is "Harvest Gold". (said jokingly in a fake haughty way). I loved the Harvest Gold appliances, my first self cleaning range and fridge were Harvest Gold. I was deeply saddened when I had to replace them and harvest gold was no longer a color choice. Went with "Almond".

Old 04-03-2015, 05:44 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,329,980 times
Yup, Transplant, that's what I meant. Harvest Gold. Thanks.

I have two slimline phones in almond. Great for power outages. They are keepers.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:24 AM

1,837 posts, read 2,606,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
If I was ever to become a hoarder... it would be old farm equipment with tractors topping the list...

The only antique tractors in the family were sold for scrap when my cousin was cleaning out the barn...

I don't think anyone in my family, millennial or not has much interest in old equipment... a few have expressed interest in my car collection much to their parents consternation... if it doesn't have side curtain airbags, abs, etc... well you know.
Again, interest vs space can come down and be the issue. There's antique cars, tractors, and gas engines in my family that are just sitting. While there may be some interest, there is not enough to pay for moving much less space or cost to restore. BUT... How to find the best method to sell without the giving away for peanuts at an auction? I think one will be to make sure there is good publicity beyond the local area.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:14 AM

choff, check out Yesterday's Tractors, I don't think they charge to list your stuff. Also, if you need them hauled, check out the hauling schedule. We've had great success getting tractors delivered by folks we found on there.

We subscribe to Lawn and Garden Tractor Collector mag, I'm sure there are some wanted ads.......

There's always Craigslist....

mateo, VERY cool on the Farmall Cub!

Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM

26,595 posts, read 52,444,015 times
Also make contact with owner groups... cars, tractors, etc.

Love the snow picture... can't remember the last time I saw snow.

As to appliance colors... I searched high and low to find a coffee color replacement refrigerator for my Grandmother... she has now passed, yet her coffee appliances live on...

I'm trying to de-cluttered the garage right now... have 8 Hospital Gurneys to re-home... thought it would be easy but the market is limited and it is proving not the case... they cost over 5k each and even at $500 are a slow sell...

Old 04-03-2015, 01:03 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,607,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Agreed, though the funny thing is, apparently not everyone regards this stuff quite so "fondly". While living in the PNW, was once showing off my old Farmall "A" to a visiting relative from Alabama, and it was obviously an unexpected, and slightly emotional encounter for him. Because my shiny yuppie "toy" only brought back memories of the "reality" behind these farm machines, which was all the countless hours he had spent on these things as a boy, every day coming home from school, only then to drive this red "collectible" back and forth, again and again, over acre after acre of fields!

Old 04-03-2015, 01:48 PM

Snow pictures? Look away............

Old 04-03-2015, 01:49 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or