U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 01:50 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 03:00 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
Mateo, did you mean you would be interested in a Cub 100 with a creeper gear?

Old 04-03-2015, 03:04 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,584,982 times
IH Cub Cadet 100 Crawler

Old 04-03-2015, 03:11 PM

12,104 posts, read 6,682,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
It's interesting there are all these shows which turn out cookie cutter origionals for couple who 'must have open flow' and so on, and they look so sterile they look like movie sets. And then there are the shows about people who search 'junk' for funky things which they sell for nice prices for the rest who like a house to have a real personality. They wouldn't be in buisness and on tv if plenty others don't want to decorate with rusty character and eshew the model home look forever.
Sure, there are still some of us out there. But the current trend is clean/modern/minimal. It is easier to maintain and people seem to want that right now. I remember when country decorating was huge - really cluttered with geese and dried flowers everywhere. Then the funky vintage look of the nineties like in the show Friends. I love to watch reruns just to look at the cool stuff in the apartments. I wonder, if the "stuff" didn't bother us then, why would it bother so many now?

Google different decorating styles you still find plenty of eclectic, rustic and cottage décor. In a place like New England with lots of old farm houses and Victorians, they are not going be decorating those places with much Ikea.

I wouldn't be surprised if the show Hoarders is affecting how people think of stuff too. Everyone who likes stuff isn't a hoarder.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:15 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
Living in Oakland CA... snow is maybe a once in 25 year occurrence and then only for a few hours.

Don't think we have had a single morning with frost this winter... also no rain... mostly just clear blue sky with day temps between 60 and 80... most unusual winter...

In the mountains where the water comes from snow melt there is no snow... first time in recorded history being no snow pack...

My backup plan is Olympia WA and there is plenty of water there and it can snow where I am and then it is usually gone by midday... now cold is different... can be single digits...

Maybe the mild Bay Area weather makes it easier to collect... don't have to worry about freeze or harsh elements.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Sure, there are still some of us out there. But the current trend is clean/modern/minimal. It is easier to maintain and people seem to want that right now. I remember when country decorating was huge - really cluttered with geese and dried flowers everywhere. Then the funky vintage look of the nineties like in the show Friends. I love to watch reruns just to look at the cool stuff in the apartments. I wonder, if the "stuff" didn't bother us then, why would it bother so many now?

Google different decorating styles you still find plenty of eclectic, rustic and cottage décor. In a place like New England with lots of old farm houses and Victorians, they are not going be decorating those places with much Ikea.

I wouldn't be surprised if the show Hoarders is affecting how people think of stuff too. Everyone who likes stuff isn't a hoarder.
My own kids and nieces and nephews are mobile career-wise. So understandably they don't want to take on our "stuff," especially the heavy stuff typical of our parents' gen. And they do have modern/minimal taste, some with class and others (ikea) not. At least it's easily moveable. I also see a trend of not keeping memorabilia on display. Some homes are overloaded with it. I once went into a potential house to buy and every surface (really) and wall (even the fridge) was covered with family photos. The house was nice but I couldn't see beyond the stuff and couldn't wait to get out of there.

The larger older New England homes do tend to have a lot of stuff. Maybe their occupants are planning to go out feet first.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:26 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times
Everybody does things in their own time. It's great to be minimalist...but when I look at those homes with steel and glass and 2 pieces of furniture it looks cold and sterile. Some of these folks are just so pious and feel so "evolved" in their ability to let things go. If you want to, fine but let the rest of us live (and die) the way we want. I actually WANT a few attachments in my life, not only to people but also to some cherished items. Sure, I no longer have many physical pictures and many memories are digitalized, but some can't be.

I don't expect anyone to take my stuff - I have no thoughts or pride that anyone will want it...once I'm gone I guess whoever is left can burn the house down, for all I care! But until then I'll do it the way I want.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:01 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,584,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My own kids and nieces and nephews are mobile career-wise. So understandably they don't want to take on our "stuff," especially the heavy stuff typical of our parents' gen. And they do have modern/minimal taste, some with class and others (ikea) not. At least it's easily moveable. I also see a trend of not keeping memorabilia on display. Some homes are overloaded with it. I once went into a potential house to buy and every surface (really) and wall (even the fridge) was covered with family photos. The house was nice but I couldn't see beyond the stuff and couldn't wait to get out of there.

The larger older New England homes do tend to have a lot of stuff. Maybe their occupants are planning to go out feet first.
I wonder if part of that also has to do with east coast culture in general and just being surrounded with so much "heritage". It's like some places back there, nearly every other property is some sorta "historical landmark"!

Old 04-03-2015, 04:28 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Good point...but that's the first thing a good realtor would tell someone trying to sell - DE-personalize your home - make it generic so a new family could see how they could make it their own.

Families in their prime with kids will naturally have lots of stuff....couples first starting out don't...seniors don't...this is kind of life-stage specific but I'll be pretty advanced before I get rid of my own stuff.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:12 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I wonder if part of that also has to do with east coast culture in general and just being surrounded with so much "heritage". It's like some places back there, nearly every other property is some sorta "historical landmark"!
My family gravitates to the farm or at least we did... it has been in the family for generations... my cousin shut it down and got rid of lot of farm things because they were no longer needed.

I like history, stories and things from the olden days as I would say as a kid and realize many don't.

When I lived in Europe it was easy to go minimalist... small spaces and not being there permanent meant I had what I needed and that was just fine with me... coming back home was almost culture shock... people I know do have more in just about every sense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or