U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 10:41 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,586,137 times

Advertisements

^ ^ With the local economy rebounding, primarily in the Tech centers, have also noticed a tendency now to find housing closer in to work, rather than the "old days" of long commutes to homes in the 'burbs. And with urban digs being so much more expensive (and smaller), naturally that means lotsa "downsizing" these days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 10:53 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,267,707 times
^^^ and rent increases are pushing others away.

This morning two East Bay hospital employee's were searching for rent listings all the way out to Stockton and beyond... both received significant rent increases back to back otherwise they would not be looking.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:27 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,586,137 times
^ ^ Yeah, not to mention what the heck are all the city's other "service" folks gonna do, like police, firemen, postal workers, garbage collectors, etc.?!!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:07 AM

19,830 posts, read 18,839,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ ^ Yeah, not to mention what the heck are all the city's other "service" folks gonna do, like police, firemen, postal workers, garbage collectors, etc.?!!
Where I come from, it became "gentrified" with New Yorkers moving in and taking over. The rents went way up and that was okay for people who were already rich or had trust funds. There were more and more of them and fewer and fewer people who worked.

It's happened in Boston too. Boston is now one of the most expensive places to live in the entire country. At least they have high paying jobs to go with it. But they sure wouldn't want our kind of stuff. Not in those little city apartments and not when they are young and sharing apartments with room mates. There are the Boston suburbs, which are extremely expensive and are beautiful with huge old homes. They're not really like suburbs though, they're turned into little cities of their own in most cases. Those suburbs are in high demand for those who can afford them--I wonder if those people want our stuff or do they have their own style.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:10 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,297,923 times
Ultra, check your local UHaul store for packing supplies, here they're a much better deal than HDepot.......

Old 04-07-2015, 09:03 AM

23,560 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's happened in Boston too. Boston is now one of the most expensive places to live in the entire country. At least they have high paying jobs to go with it. But they sure wouldn't want our kind of stuff. Not in those little city apartments and not when they are young and sharing apartments with room mates. There are the Boston suburbs, which are extremely expensive and are beautiful with huge old homes. They're not really like suburbs though, they're turned into little cities of their own in most cases. Those suburbs are in high demand for those who can afford them--I wonder if those people want our stuff or do they have their own style.
My company is based in the Boston suburbs and I've taken a few trips up there and am amazed at how little home you get for over half a million dollars. While many of the homes I saw were still kept up reasonably well, they were older with smaller lots than you'd find in the other places I've lived - IA, IN, SC, TN. We have many personnel commuting from Nashua and even further north to offset some of these housing prices.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:40 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,004,214 times
I've become quite unsentimental about things I thought I'd hang onto forever. Maybe it was after cleaning out my grandmother's house after she passed, maybe it was the hoarders shows that made me realize what a potentially sick person I am, or maybe it's just from having kids and routinely purging things. We were just talking with some people who are looking to move into a bigger house and someone said "just throw stuff out and you can stay in the house."

Old 04-08-2015, 08:56 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,297,923 times
Watching what my mom had to go through when my stepdad passed was an eye opener.

Roof tiles, thousands of them, stacked in the carport.

A storage unit filled with then antique furniture that wasn't temp controlled, obliterated by termites. He paid 600 dollars a month for ten years to store termite food. Not one piece could be salvaged.

His son's 1979 Vega, floors rotting out of it.

An old International box truck from the '70's. They had to cut it apart, it hadn't rolled in years. The truck was filled with old doors, construction odds and ends.

His college papers. The remains of his mothers' stuff after she passed.

It really made me take a hard look at my stuff. Will I be just as happy with eight Fenton swung vases as I was with thirty? Of course I will. Let someone else love them.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 AM

33,878 posts, read 42,096,122 times
Y'all have been talking about "hoarding" and accusing people of it.

Here's the definition:

Hoarding disorder - Mayo Clinic

Symptoms:

Hoarding disorder Symptoms - Mayo Clinic

Not one of you, not one, has described anyone with the symptoms. As in: inability to use the bathroom to bathe, for one.

I have several 150+ year old mechanical clocks, all working. According to some of you I'm a hoarder.

God help me if you look in my gun safe and count shotguns.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:20 AM

6,550 posts, read 3,656,219 times
It's worth it to say ''Someday all of this will be yours'' just to see the look of horror and panic on their faces...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or