U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 09:23 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times

Advertisements

NBP, we love old clocks!

LOL SunGrins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 09:26 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,515,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Y'all have been talking about "hoarding" and accusing people of it.

Here's the definition:

Hoarding disorder - Mayo Clinic

Symptoms:

Hoarding disorder Symptoms - Mayo Clinic

Not one of you, not one, has described anyone with the symptoms. As in: inability to use the bathroom to bathe, for one.

I have several 150+ year old mechanical clocks, all working. According to some of you I'm a hoarder.

God help me if you look in my gun safe and count shotguns.
In all my years I've been in one home where I thought about them being a hoarder.
This home had so much stuff..they created paths through the rooms amid the piles of magazines and newspapers and boxes. You couldn't sit down anywhere because you couldn't get to the couch or chairs. The kitchen table was another mountain of papers. I wondered how they ate and where they did sit down. Couldn't wait to leave.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:38 AM

33,896 posts, read 42,133,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In all my years I've been in one home where I thought about them being a hoarder.
This home had so much stuff..they created paths through the rooms amid the piles of magazines and newspapers and boxes. You couldn't sit down anywhere because you couldn't get to the couch or chairs. The kitchen table was another mountain of papers. I wondered how they ate and where they did sit down. Couldn't wait to leave.

And that's the holotype of "hoarder". Not some 80 year old woman who's spent her life making quilts and now has a bunch.

Or an 80 year old man who collected unusual or antique tools. Or even someone who had a locker full of antique wood furniture he meant to refinish one day and never got around to it.

This thread has reminded me of people who spent so much for their houses they can't afford furniture and have to use sheets for curtains.

At least the house isn't "cluttered".

Old 04-08-2015, 02:38 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
Actually, there is one thing I see Millies with, that they got from their elders. Vehicles.

I don't think I've ever witnessed any other time in history where there so many teens and twenty somethings driving very unsexy "Soccer Mom" vans around. I think the only thing they did was tear off the "Baby on Board" decals and replace them with skulls or other ironic decals.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:33 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,590,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Actually, there is one thing I see Millies with, that they got from their elders. Vehicles.

I don't think I've ever witnessed any other time in history where there so many teens and twenty somethings driving very unsexy "Soccer Mom" vans around. I think the only thing they did was tear off the "Baby on Board" decals and replace them with skulls or other ironic decals.
LOL!! But, but… everything else would be so "mainstream"! BTW, living near a state college, lotsa 'hipsters" around here, and they seem to love old Volvo wagons!

The Ten Most Hipster Cars Ever Made

Old 04-08-2015, 10:06 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,968,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It's worth it to say ''Someday all of this will be yours'' just to see the look of horror and panic on their faces...
This is just cruel (said while laughing hysterically).

Old 04-08-2015, 10:20 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,968,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
LOL!! But, butÖ everything else would be so "mainstream"! BTW, living near a state college, lotsa 'hipsters" around here, and they seem to love old Volvo wagons!

The Ten Most Hipster Cars Ever Made
I clicked on the link, and those are the UGLIEST cars I have ever seen. Actually made me a bit nauseous, they were so creepy. Just my opinion, others may like.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:41 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,867,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I wonder why hoarders always want to save old papers, magazines, etc?

Seems they're always heavy on that!

OTH, I hesitate to throw out any type of financial papers. The originals, not the scanned copies. Seems like just when you throw something out, somebody is after you for it. We sold a condo several years ago. I was told I only needed to keep the closing papers 3 years, but, held onto them, anyways. About 5 years after the sale, we got a nasty letter from the homeowner's association, something about a grill on the patio. So nice to just be able to copy off the settlement statement and send it to them, case closed. Otherwise, who knows what grief they could have wrecked on our lives?

I was just reading another forum about mortgages. They don't want any of the down payment borrowed, so, if you have a "large" deposit in your account they want documentation where it came from. They consider anything over $500 to be a large deposit. I think they go back 3 years, so good thing I've kept all my checks from rental property,insurance reimbursements, etc. I almost threw out the paperwork for our roof claim. Insurance sent us a check for ~ $10,000, which we promptly cashed and then cut a check for that amount to the roof company. Similar with hail damage to our cars. Guess we will have to account for it when we take out another mortgage!

Also, I've claimed a fair amount from Unclaimed Property. Its amazing what our relatives simply forgot about. Texas alone sent us an aggregate check for over $4000! I almost shredded the check stub, best hang onto it, but since its an aggregate check, I should start tracing down the individual accounts it came from. I guess keep all financial papers, until you're dead, then instruct heirs to shred.....

Still, that doesn't explain why all those old people have mountains of newspapers and magazines in their basements?

Perhaps....too cheap to pay for sufficient trash removal? It is expensive, adds up over time, but so does the trash!

Old 04-09-2015, 04:15 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,303,280 times
I bought a home with stacks of newspapers in the basement... she said they were saving it for paper drives...

Anyway, some of the papers dated from the 1940's like declaring war on Japan and stuff... something I found interesting...

Seems most things need to skip a generation to become in again... that is if they ever will.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:01 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,777,962 times
Default Your kids don't want your stuff

and certainly not the stuff you got from your own parents.

Stuff it: Millennials nix their parents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or