U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:06 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Hmm, there is nothing like a pity party.

I came to the US when I was 23 from England, having married an American. I was a foreign immigrant on a green card. We had a 6 month old baby. When she was 2 years old I took a secretarial test with the state of Florida, passed it, and got a bottom rung job. One of the first remarks I heard, through the grapevine, was "why would they hire an English girl for this job when there are plenty of other people in this county that need a job, and are American citizens? Made me feel really welcome!

I worked my way up the ladder, and worked in the US until full retirement. Still married to the same guy. Both worked very hard with no family help, have a lovely family, and a beautiful home. We travel a lot, to Europe, Caribbean, etc. Never given any furniture to speak of!

It makes me sad to read a post from a young whiner who wants it all on a plate because they are an American citizen. I bet your great grandparents, who whoever came as immigrants to the US before you, were hard workers who didn't ask for hand outs or special treatment.

You need to buckle down, and help yourself. Don't blame other people. Go to nursing school - you can't miss with that.

Amen, sister.

My last hire was an immigrant from Bulgaria who originally came to the US to become an au pair for a wealthy couple. After she completed her assignment, she attended university while working in various restaurants as a waitress. She had a phenomenal attitude and could put out about 2x the work of most people. She took my place when I retired.

It always blew her mind at how many people do not take advantage of all the opportunities that are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 06:23 PM

21,177 posts, read 11,791,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I can understand furnature. I didn't want theirs either. I'd have LOVED my grandmother's though.
It's funny how styles often skip a generation like that! And your kids probably won't want your stuff but your grandkids might go crazy for it! lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMischief View Post
The millennials I know want new things - kind of a shame in these days of shrinking resources, because lots of usable things are headed to a landfill. My mother has a big house filled with 4 houses worth of things no one wants - she's not taking it well. I've collected things too, but I've done some decluttering because I don't want to take care of all the tchotchkes anymore. I've already learned through listing things on Craigslist that no one wants to buy my stuff, and my younger relatives have no interest in what I once thought were special things. I'll donate them and hope it all doesn't go to waste.
That's the thing, though, "usable" isn't always enough. When I first started out, usable was good enough and I was happy to get it - I took handmedowns from whoever offered them. But now, 25+ years later, I have some decided opinions and tastes of my own. I do actually still have several inherited and handmedown pieces - but only because I love them. Mere usability doesn't cut it anymore, and I follow the William Morris maxim to "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Well, it wasn't that long ago that the "mid -century modern" was not worth anything. Now look, West End and other places are selling this stuff that my grandmother had in her house. Only hers was solid walnut and blond furniture. I inherited a Bissman walnut desk that is in our study. It has great lines and, although it doesn't really blend well with our traditional cherry and mahogany furniture, it has a lot of meaning to me. I can remember my grandfather using that to figure his hardware and lumber orders that he got from customers back in the '50s and '60s.

Who knows what will be popular in the future? I still think quality always wins out in the end even if we will not be around to see it.
very true! I love MCM but that fell in between my grandparents and my parents in terms of timing. I actually have very different tastes than my parents as they like contemporary modern design and that's not my style at all. So yes, another generation gap and for the most part, my sister and I will be looking for buyers of handmedown acceptors when the time comes to clear out my parents' house. And eventually, probably my son will do the same with my things!

Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,303,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yes we were certainly duped during the 80s and 90s about the investment value of all the "collectibles". Once knew of a man who bragged he was selling all his stocks to invest in beanie babies. How incredibly stupid. They aren't even good for dog toys today. My kids are all about experiences over possessions. They spend their money on travel, plays, concerts instead of things. I wish that had been taught to me as a young person. But I got caught up in the bigger house, the finer furniture. Funny though...I never gave a hoot about cars. And neither did my husband. We eep them for 20 years or more till they die.
Times change and coming from plenty means possessions are no longer dear...

As for collectibles... I have done very well investing in collectable cars back in the 80s... a 20 year old Mustang was just an old car... same with a GTO, Z28... etc...

Old 05-22-2015, 12:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Sometimes the hardest stuff to get rid of is the more useless stuff. Mementos, stored framed art, things you haven't used in years.

We're making progress for our final move. I'm still on a bent to get rid of weight. I took several boxes of heavy containers, vases (how many vases do we need), and Pyrex serving dishes to Goodwill. The lot must have weighed 50 lb if not more. (I offered these things to my kids and they didn't answer. They barely cook and they don't bake.)

Now I think in terms of pounds rather than how many items we retain. If something is questionably useful but quality and lightweight, it gets to stay a while longer. Things in my house shirk from me when I walk by them considering their weight. TG no one's doing that to me, lol.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 PM

4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
I just offered my mom's everyday dishes to my niece. I really don't want them as they are old style & I'm more into contemporary but don't want to giv them up unless a younger generation person wants them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or