U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 08:24 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,638,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Thanks Boomers for shipping all of our factories overseas. Don't blame us for being "lazy" it's you guys who wanted that cheap labor and allowed it to happen politically right before your eyes, under your watch, under your stewardship of this nation. -mapmd.
You cant blame the Boomers. Most of us have needed to work since we were kids, and actually are pissed that our Social Security tax and other taxes helped pay to move companies like IBM and GE to Mexico and beyond. They didnt open our Southern Border to everyone either, cause they do that work that you dont and never wanted.

Sure, some of the top 3% in the US were Boomers, but hardly any of us that fall under that blanket title can afford even an illegal-immigrant cleaning lady for a few hours a week.

The top 3% that are Millenials, like yourself, should change all that back, IF you think you can. Maybe we Boomers are just too under-educated to have figured it out?? I just thought we were obviously too powerless. Unfortunately, the Boomers have to now work until we are 70 or die - whichever comes first, just like you will, IF the spiral doesnt continue downward in your time.

The Boomers did not sign NAFTA and GAFTA, or vote for 'global economics'. The corporate-owned politicians did. If you are going to be angry, put that anger and blame where it belongs. It damn sure never belonged to me, and the masses just like me. Thanks all the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 08:30 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,762,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
You cant blame the Boomers. Most of us have needed to work since we were kids, and actually are pissed that our Social Security tax and other taxes helped pay to move companies like IBM and GE to Mexico and beyond. They didnt open our Southern Border to everyone either, cause they do that work that you dont and never wanted.

Sure, some of the top 3% in the US were Boomers, but hardly any of us that fall under that blanket title can afford even an illegal-immigrant cleaning lady for a few hours a week.

The top 3% that are Millenials, like yourself, should change all that back, IF you think you can. Maybe we Boomers are just too under-educated to have figured it out?? I just thought we were obviously too powerless. Unfortunately, the Boomers have to now work until we are 70 or die - whichever comes first, just like you will, IF the spiral doesnt continue downward in your time.

The Boomers did not sign NAFTA and GAFTA, or vote for 'global economics'. The corporate-owned politicians did. If you are going to be angry, put that anger and blame where it belongs. It damn sure never belonged to me, and the masses just like me. Thanks all the same.
THIS...completely and in its entirety!

Old 03-29-2015, 08:49 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,835,234 times
My mother is in her 90s. I'm 63.

The only thing I'd want of her things are the BOOKS!
Those would be the books I read as a child (and they were NOT children's books..LOL).

When I go, I know that at least one of my daughters will want my books. No Kindle for her! She's like me; enjoying not just the story, but the physical book; cracking it open, reading the date of publication, taking note of the font that was used, turning the pages, the smell of the book.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:06 AM

23,650 posts, read 17,615,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Sure they can and some of them will and some of them won't.

"To make matters worse, young adults donít seem to want their own college textbooks, sports trophies or T-shirt collections, still entombed in plastic containers at their parentsí homes."

I am a 'boomer' merely by the time frame I was born in. I have never been a collector of anything, or a hoarder. Not necessarily because I am above it but simply because I have always lived efficiently and in smaller apartments or homes.

I will say this though, I'm still in possession of some of my children's things because they have not found the time (nor have the space themselves) to retrieve their belongings.

Oh well, those things will be the things they will have to come to terms with when I leave this earthly plane, and they will probably dump them (as I have wanted to do all these many years).
I think the space issue has some validity. I have a 2 BR apartment, and while it is far from cluttered, there are plenty of other items I would have if I had my own house with a yard and space.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,313,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post

ConeyGirl, I hope you can hear my applause from there......

Old 03-29-2015, 09:36 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,361,982 times
Maybe it's a case of not being educated?

A dear friend was expecting her first child and her husband's great Grandmother back on the family farm in Illinois wanted to send out a baby crib that had been in the family since the 1700's... my friend was horrified... she had already bought a crib from Costco made in China... (which later was recalled by the product safety commission)

When great Grandma died they and an antique estate appraiser sale and the crib sold for $3400...

She told me she only the heard the words antique and hand me down without looking into it any more.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:39 AM

6,226 posts, read 5,369,286 times
I'm a minimalist by nature. I just don't keep anything that I don't use on a regular basis. When my grandparents passed it took us months to go thru all their belongings for the estate sale. Hardly any of it sold except for some well-kept antique furniture. They had thousands upon thousands of trinkets and figurines that ended up going into the dumpster. I got a nice 1960's triple light floor lamp out of it though.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:47 AM

6,106 posts, read 7,276,329 times
The root of this is activity. The furniture of 30 and 40 years ago doesn't fit what we do today. If someone reads by Kindle, they won't value a bookcase. That once prized secretary desk won't work with an oversized monitor and today's computers and electronics. Televisions, once housed in huge pieces of furniture, are now displayed on walls.

I am curious how long the current clean-lined aesthetic will remain popular or if we will ever return to more ornamented style, at some point.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:20 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,565,977 times
The boomers started out stamping out materialism too. But we got older, lost people and places and learned that maybe that keepsake from grandma helps keep her memory alive. And we didn't want mom's old couch either. Now, if its still around it might get big bucks as 'retro'.

I don't buy that the current milleneal generation won't go the same path as we have.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:40 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,361,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
The root of this is activity. The furniture of 30 and 40 years ago doesn't fit what we do today. If someone reads by Kindle, they won't value a bookcase. That once prized secretary desk won't work with an oversized monitor and today's computers and electronics. Televisions, once housed in huge pieces of furniture, are now displayed on walls.

I am curious how long the current clean-lined aesthetic will remain popular or if we will ever return to more ornamented style, at some point.

The current clean line has actually been around for a long time in Europe...

Back when I was working there my friends would have almost extreme minimalist apartments and homes...

Funny thing is Flea Markets were just starting and old things like a coffee grinder, treadle sewing machine and old copper pots and pans were highly sought after if not to use... as decorator pieces or a place for flowers... old armoires from 200, 300 or older were highly prized too.

I will admit to being stuck in the past... my first car was a 1929 Model A and never lived in a home with Cable and don't own a Cell or have a flat screen... even have a rotary dial phone in the garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or