Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:56 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times

Advertisements

Today's Washington Post article about how the baby boomer collectors are discovering the millennials don't want our stuff. This has been discussed here so much we could have written this.

Stuff it: Millennials nix their parents

I have one DS who fits this to the T but I discovered my other one does have some sentimental bones as he took more stuff than I expected. Of course he's also a starving student living in a high cost area so more likely it was practical needs won out over sentimental desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 09:44 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Can't say I blame them. Even I've stopped printing out photos. "Live for today" ~ my new motto.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Did we want our parents stuff when we were in our 20's. Be glad they consider it junk as for most of us it will only take on value when we are gone. Even pictures of our parents became precious when they were gone. So I am more than willing to defer them wanting memories and artifacts from our lives. Now what I did want was my baseball cards and comic books that my mother threw away. Yes Mantle, Aaron, Mays etc etc etc. She kept her junk for ever and threw away mucho bucks worth of real memorabilia.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:04 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
When my mother died 10 years ago my sister and I faced the problem of getting rid of her furniture, as well as her keepsakes. I was able to take some of the furniture because I had use for it where I live. But also I have a sentimental attachment to those items because they were hers over a long period of years, and this despite the fact that I didn't get along particularly well with my mother! Go figure.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:43 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
I can see some humor in the current realization by boomers that the kids won't cherish our "stuff" at our passing. Years ago I was asking the grandkids if they'd like to have any of the American classic cars that were on display at the local car show in town, they didn't "get" the whole idea of old cars being worth anything, and that led me to wonder if those cars would ever be looked at in the same way we did, a hook to our past, but certainly not theirs. Their idea of a cool car is the four cylinder hotrod of a slammed down Honda sounding like an amped up sewing machine.

On a recent trip to California we noted the many near empty antique shops in small towns that once catered to the nostalgic boomers, we also couldn't help but note the age of those who were driving the fifties classics around town, definitely the gray haired set looking every bit the proud teen type on cruise night. In another ten years the nostalgia craze may well include the collection of music from the eighties and Hondas from the nineties. A visit to the local thrift store will definitely be an eye opener to those who think that time automatically bestows value on things, instead we see the same kind of sad sense of value displayed at the average estate sale.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:47 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
House? Maybe.
Newer car? Probably.
A specific heirloom or art peice? Probably.

Anything else, cash is king baby! Just like us, actually...

Old 03-28-2015, 10:56 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Today's Washington Post article about how the baby boomer collectors are discovering the millennials don't want our stuff. This has been discussed here so much we could have written this.

I have one DS who fits this to the T but I discovered my other one does have some sentimental bones as he took more stuff than I expected. Of course he's also a starving student living in a high cost area so more likely it was practical needs won out over sentimental desires.
The operative word is OUR, how much do we want somebody else's the same age old stuff?

Old 03-28-2015, 11:01 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post

Sad that they didn't want the old photos or documents.

That is something I am trying to gather now. But then they didn't say what type of old photos - 70s? No thanks.

I like the old heavy black and white photos and the ones with the dates imprinted on the back.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:05 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
My son is 30, has his own house with his own furniture with his own style. Why would he want our stuff? Sure, he might take a piece or two (his father's favorite guitar, some of his father's tools, particularly those he likes and doesn't already have, my favorite of my mother's late 18th century clocks). Everything else he'd sell and with my blessing.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:11 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
I bet they'll take the cash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement