Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 03:31 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,221 times

Advertisements

I used to argue with my mother that I didn't want stuff. Mom was a depression child and hoarded everything. My daughter said to me, "just take it and get rid of it Mom that way you won't hurt her feelings". So that is what I did.

Anyone else take what they don't want just to spare hurt feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 04:04 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
No disrespect to Ms. Kudzu, but this same article was discussed at length in this forum when it first came out a month ago. Pretty interesting too. We have a ton of stuff we can't get rid of (in a way that suits us).

The Millenials don't want our stuff!

Old 05-02-2015, 05:45 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
I'm torn between trying to making it "easy" for our kids after I pass, and my mother's attitude (imagine the tone of voice): "You'll have to deal with everything after I'm gone!" [cackle]

It was so difficult doing that that I will never forget it. Her "stuff" was super heavy furnishings and bric-a-brac. My "stuff" is framed artwork, some heavy plants, tons of personal writings (and dh's stuff in the garage and cellar.) I may pare down the plants during my lifetime for a move, but it's hard getting rid of your identity, which you know will end up in thrift shops (artwork) and the dumpster (all other).

Old 05-02-2015, 09:58 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
and certainly not the stuff you got from your own parents.

Stuff it: Millennials nix their parents

No, but many don't have any reluctance to ask their parents for money to purchase furniture for their home/apartments.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:21 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I tried to sell a TV armoire two years ago and learned then that there is absolutely no interest in such things. Even though it is solid wood that could be used to make something else, I can't even give it away. It still sits in a corner of the living room. Firewood, maybe?
Where I live in SO CA those are sought after for one purpose--for a child play area with storage.

1.to make a little kitchen play set for young children. They take the doors off the tv area and paint that surface as a stove and all the other doors are painted as cupboards or a microwave, and the area under the tv stand part is painted as an oven.

2. to make a boy's lego storage and play area. Again take the doors off the tv area and paint the surface then attach the large flat lego play base. All the other areas are painted for storage of trays with legos or other small toys.

They are purchased for a lot of $ once they are repurposed as custom kids furniture.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:24 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
My DIL was really happy to take one of my older Bernina sewing machines! She was surprised to find out how much better it sews than those new plastic Singers!

Old 05-06-2015, 02:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
My DIL was really happy to take one of my older Bernina sewing machines! She was surprised to find out how much better it sews than those new plastic Singers!
Nothing beats a Bernina. I have one from 1978 I think and when I mentioned to Georgia Bonsteel, quilting maven, I was thinking of trading it in for a new one she almost fainted. "Do not ever get rid of that machine. It is the best they've ever made. i still have it and my daughters are using it now.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:40 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Nothing beats a Bernina. I have one from 1978 I think and when I mentioned to Georgia Bonsteel, quilting maven, I was thinking of trading it in for a new one she almost fainted. "Do not ever get rid of that machine. It is the best they've ever made. i still have it and my daughters are using it now.
Good! I have two left and they're staying in the family! I only have sons, so I'm thrilled that my DIL has started sewing and can use a Bernina. I think those plastic machines and all their problems discouraged a lot of people from sewing!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
When my parents died, we tried to absorb as much stuff as I felt comfortable with. Some things, we upgraded with theirs and got rid of ours which was my goal. However, some things like dining room furniture ( I have been told kids don't want) and the bedroom furniture we ended up putting in an estate sale. I was sorry to see it go but I was not going to hoard it and make our house even more crowded. My mom did have Haviland china , crystal, and Gorham sterling flatware which my daughter (who lives 2000 miles away) wanted. We could take it in the car. I wish I could have given her the furniture but it would cost more to ship it to her than it was worth. She did find some nice furniture in Philly at consignment stores. She seems to go more for the traditional look and not into Ikea. The main issue I am having now is with all the pictures in boxes. The 36 trays of slides I sorted and put them on a DVD disk.
After having to clean out 3 - 4 households, I don't want to hoard. It is not considerate to your heirs.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
and certainly not the stuff you got from your own parents.

Stuff it: Millennials nix their parents
I can understand furnature. I didn't want theirs either. I'd have LOVED my grandmother's though.

But my son has a box with my dad's bowling trophies. I value them very much and so does he. I suspect he might unbox them when they have a longer term place. My dad died before he came along, so he never knew him. I do afgans and currently have two requested, so some of my 'stuff' will be welcome.

Having lost most of what I had from my parents, I'd say scan those photos and save the disc since once their gone you can't make them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement