Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:01 PM

79 posts, read 82,371 times

Advertisements

The millennials I know want new things - kind of a shame in these days of shrinking resources, because lots of usable things are headed to a landfill. My mother has a big house filled with 4 houses worth of things no one wants - she's not taking it well. I've collected things too, but I've done some decluttering because I don't want to take care of all the tchotchkes anymore. I've already learned through listing things on Craigslist that no one wants to buy my stuff, and my younger relatives have no interest in what I once thought were special things. I'll donate them and hope it all doesn't go to waste.

I remember reading somewhere that Hummel figurines, Franklin Mint collectibles and the like are no longer worth much. My mother invested significant sums in those things - a lesson I need to remember before I spend again, because I've justified my collectible purchases as "investments"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 06:08 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
yes we were certainly duped during the 80s and 90s about the investment value of all the "collectibles". Once knew of a man who bragged he was selling all his stocks to invest in beanie babies. How incredibly stupid. They aren't even good for dog toys today. My kids are all about experiences over possessions. They spend their money on travel, plays, concerts instead of things. I wish that had been taught to me as a young person. But I got caught up in the bigger house, the finer furniture. Funny though...I never gave a hoot about cars. And neither did my husband. We eep them for 20 years or more till they die.

It somehow feels disloyal to the memory of my relatives to get rid of their precious things. Doesn't make sense but when I look at my grandma's good china, I remember the pride she took in setting the perfect table for family events but of course my own children have no attachment to her things. I've often thought of breaking a bunch of different patterns to make a beautiful mosaic table top but don't think I could actually do it.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
About that fine china. I remember my grandma had a set displayed in a china cabinet.
Only came out once a year for Thanksgiving. My mother also had a set on display in a china cabinet.
I don't remember her ever taking it out to use. It was like a museum piece in our home.

None of us kids wanted that china after my parents passed.

I'm a boomer and don't know many of my era that had fine china on display.
I have one set of dishes ..light weigh corelle that is used year round.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:37 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Meh, things change. I wouldn't want my mother's furniture so why would I be surprised my kids don't want mine? They can keep what they want and donate the rest. I won't be here to care.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:29 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Meh, things change. I wouldn't want my mother's furniture so why would I be surprised my kids don't want mine? They can keep what they want and donate the rest. I won't be here to care.
I agree. Times change and each generation lives in their own time. I would be more hurt if I felt my kids took something they didn't want just to protect my feelings. That would mean they viewed me as a real weakling with no life.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:49 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Well, it wasn't that long ago that the "mid -century modern" was not worth anything. Now look, West End and other places are selling this stuff that my grandmother had in her house. Only hers was solid walnut and blond furniture. I inherited a Bissman walnut desk that is in our study. It has great lines and, although it doesn't really blend well with our traditional cherry and mahogany furniture, it has a lot of meaning to me. I can remember my grandfather using that to figure his hardware and lumber orders that he got from customers back in the '50s and '60s.

Who knows what will be popular in the future? I still think quality always wins out in the end even if we will not be around to see it.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:35 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I would have loved to have my mother's furniture when she sold her condo and moved to a multi-level care facility. But at that time, I had no room for it. She had some lovely Duncan Fife pieces.

When she sold her condo, she asked the buyer if the buyer was interested. The buyer happened to be a single mom and replied she couldn't afford it. None of us had any place to put it. So mom left it in the condo for the buyer. I think it went to a good new owner.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:06 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
GIVE IT AWAY!!!

Goodwill Industries

Freecycle

If you aren't using it, and your kids don't want it -- have it go to good use and help someone!

Old 05-15-2015, 07:05 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times
Millennial here again to say, actually, I do want my parents stuff, only I can't afford the space to put it in. Because they're giving all the Millennial jobs away to foreigners who aren't even US citizens. Otherwise more American Millennial kids could afford to keep their parent's stuff

Old 05-18-2015, 04:55 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Millennial here again to say, actually, I do want my parents stuff, only I can't afford the space to put it in. Because they're giving all the Millennial jobs away to foreigners who aren't even US citizens. Otherwise more American Millennial kids could afford to keep their parent's stuff
Hmm, there is nothing like a pity party.

I came to the US when I was 23 from England, having married an American. I was a foreign immigrant on a green card. We had a 6 month old baby. When she was 2 years old I took a secretarial test with the state of Florida, passed it, and got a bottom rung job. One of the first remarks I heard, through the grapevine, was "why would they hire an English girl for this job when there are plenty of other people in this county that need a job, and are American citizens? Made me feel really welcome!

I worked my way up the ladder, and worked in the US until full retirement. Still married to the same guy. Both worked very hard with no family help, have a lovely family, and a beautiful home. We travel a lot, to Europe, Caribbean, etc. Never given any furniture to speak of!

It makes me sad to read a post from a young whiner who wants it all on a plate because they are an American citizen. I bet your great grandparents, who whoever came as immigrants to the US before you, were hard workers who didn't ask for hand outs or special treatment.

You need to buckle down, and help yourself. Don't blame other people. Go to nursing school - you can't miss with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement