U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2015, 02:23 PM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
5,242 posts, read 8,427,372 times
Reputation: 7191

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
WRT the higher income Part B premiums on pg 30, there are rates for individuals and couples. If one of the couples has an income higher than 85K but the total for the couple is less than 170K, what premiums apply?
Depends on if they file taxes as MFJ or MFS.

See chart at Part B costs | Medicare.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2015, 09:07 PM
 
2,296 posts, read 1,565,142 times
Reputation: 2737
I'm not really worried about whether Social Security itself will go away, but I'm a little concerned that cost-of-living adjustments will be tampered with. That could really affect folks especially those who decide to wait until fall retirement age or age 70 to collect Social Security. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Cape Elizabeth
425 posts, read 388,445 times
Reputation: 745
Well, if the COLA formula changes from being tied to wages to being tied to prices, it will be a cut to all folks on SSA, VA, Federal pensions etc. The proposal is called chained cpi. It is no longer in the Presidents budget, but Congress could easily resurrect it. The thinking is that seniors, when shopping buy things that are less expensive but it does not take into account, for instance, the cost of health care, which goes up considerably as you age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 05:16 PM
 
238 posts, read 544,971 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycat View Post
You may be thinking what is the big deal if I wait until Wednesday, April, instead of March. Well, if my friend, who I worked the comps for- her reduced retirement with March was $1937.00. If she waits until April, it will be 5/9 of 1% more, so approximately a gain of $10.00. For the $10.00 gain, she gave up $1937.00. Divide the gain into the loss, and it takes a person 193 months or 16 years to make up the $1937.00.

Update: DH completed his ss online that night. Thanks! He's already received his first check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 AM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times
Reputation: 14870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
SS will start in a few weeks (applied online Jan 1)
I posted the above on March 28, and here's an update and a warning especially if you need the money asap ...

If you apply online and do not receive a (snail-mail) letter from them within 2 weeks ... contact them. Go to their office and sit and wait and talk to someone.

I kept checking my bank account, and nothing showed - so I took a trip to the local SS office yesterday. Printed out a copy of my online application and the email acceptance letter.

Seems my online application got caught in an online loop because some government employee didn't enter a date on their end. That's the easiest way to explain what they told me. My application was just sitting there.

The customer rep said I was the 2nd person that week to report this at their office.

So it's been handed to their tech person to clear up. If I don't have the dollars in my checking account in 2 weeks, I actually have a name, a local phone number, and an extension number to call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 AM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,441 posts, read 1,677,570 times
Reputation: 8726
Reading this thread, I decided to create an online SSA account. I got a message that one couldn't be created online for my SS number and with an 800 number to call.

I called and spoke to a pleasant person on their help desk. My account couldn't be created because we froze our credit after a hacking incident where our SS numbers and other info were breached and SSA uses information from a credit reporting agency. I asked what credit reporting bureau they use and it is Experian if I want to lift my freeze and allow the SSA access.

They do mail out statements yearly for age 60 and older, three months before your birthdate and use the address on your latest federal tax return. Under 60, the statements are mailed out once every 5 years. There is a form online requesting a mailed statement be sent also.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-23-2015 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Idaho
4,639 posts, read 4,482,074 times
Reputation: 9094
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Reading this thread, I decided to create an online SSA account. I got a message that one couldn't be created online for my SS number and with an 800 number to call.

I called and spoke to a pleasant person on their help desk. My account couldn't be created because we froze our credit after a hacking incident where our SS numbers and other info were breached and SSA uses information from a credit reporting agency. I asked what credit reporting bureau they use and it is Experian if I want to lift my freeze and allow the SSA access.

They do mail out statements yearly for age 60 and older, three months before your birth date and use the address on your latest federal tax return. Under 60, the statements are mailed out once every 5 years. There is a form online that can be printed out and mailed to SSA requesting a mailed statement also.

Same thing happened to me the other year when I set up my on-line account. I also called and the helpful gentleman said the exact same thing. My Experian file is frozen. Ended up going into the local office to prove I was who I said I was and they initialized my account right then. I didn't have to temporarily unfreeze my credit, (not sure I could even if I wanted to).

Even though I'm older than 60, I do not get yearly statements mailed to me. The on-line access is good enough. I can gen a statement anytime I want, save the PDF, and print it out if I desire to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Cape Elizabeth
425 posts, read 388,445 times
Reputation: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I posted the above on March 28, and here's an update and a warning especially if you need the money asap ...

If you apply online and do not receive a (snail-mail) letter from them within 2 weeks ... contact them. Go to their office and sit and wait and talk to someone.

I kept checking my bank account, and nothing showed - so I took a trip to the local SS office yesterday. Printed out a copy of my online application and the email acceptance letter.

Seems my online application got caught in an online loop because some government employee didn't enter a date on their end. That's the easiest way to explain what they told me. My application was just sitting there.

The customer rep said I was the 2nd person that week to report this at their office.

So it's been handed to their tech person to clear up. If I don't have the dollars in my checking account in 2 weeks, I actually have a name, a local phone number, and an extension number to call.
Good, just make sure when it is processed, your award letter uses the initial date of filing, and you were paid back everything they owed you.
Very glad you have a name and number!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 10:11 AM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,441 posts, read 1,677,570 times
Reputation: 8726
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Same thing happened to me the other year when I set up my on-line account. I also called and the helpful gentleman said the exact same thing. My Experian file is frozen. Ended up going into the local office to prove I was who I said I was and they initialized my account right then. I didn't have to temporarily unfreeze my credit, (not sure I could even if I wanted to).

Even though I'm older than 60, I do not get yearly statements mailed to me. The on-line access is good enough. I can gen a statement anytime I want, save the PDF, and print it out if I desire to do so.
That's good to know I can go to the SSA office to get my online account initialized, thank you! I can unfreeze my Experian account with my username and password, but it costs $10 a pop and is unfrozen for a short period of time, which is why I asked which one of the three reporting agencies they use.

I'll probably just wait until the three months before my birthdate for the mailed statement, I'm not in a hurry at this point. I was under the impression SSA was not mailing out statements anymore and the woman I spoke to gave me the information I posted above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Idaho
4,639 posts, read 4,482,074 times
Reputation: 9094
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
That's good to know I can go to the SSA office to get my online account initialized, thank you! I can unfreeze my Experian account with my username and password, but it costs $10 a pop and is unfrozen for a short period of time, which is why I asked which one of the three reporting agencies they use.

I'll probably just wait until the three months before my birthdate for the mailed statement, I'm not in a hurry at this point. I was under the impression SSA was not mailing out statements anymore and the woman I spoke to gave me the information I posted above.
Can't remember what documentation I took with me when I visited the office. (Uugh! Long wait. Take something to read.) Probably I took the normal stuff, like diver's license and passport. Might have even taken my original Social Security card. (I still have my original card sent out in 1967 or about then.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top