U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:13 PM

671 posts, read 666,702 times

Advertisements

Take the money ASAP and run....By the time you reach the break even point inflation will have devistated the dollar value... You'd be better of taking the payments and investing them if not needed for income...Also if you have investments out there,,like stocks,,,you can let them ride until needed. At any rate even if you reach a ripe old age and your income is lower that if you waited the difference will be backfilled by food stamps,subsidized housing ect.. In effect your standard of living will be fairly equal in either model...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 01:27 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,260,773 times
Mathjak: What is the formula used in Calculating Real Return On Delaying By Age column?

Old 03-28-2015, 01:27 PM

71,655 posts, read 71,801,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Take the money ASAP and run....By the time you reach the break even point inflation will have devistated the dollar value... You'd be better of taking the payments and investing them if not needed for income...Also if you have investments out there,,like stocks,,,you can let them ride until needed. At any rate even if you reach a ripe old age and your income is lower that if you waited the difference will be backfilled by food stamps,subsidized housing ect.. In effect your standard of living will be fairly equal in either model...
unless you have a pension to live on it usually is not a case of taking the social security dollars early and investing them . the more likely outcome is it will be case of spending down your existing investments to delay while living off the ss money.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:29 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,563,056 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Use the SS calculator and enter 0 (zero) for current year earnings.
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:30 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you are welcome. i am still learning myself. the more i learn the more my own plan is changing . i went from delaying to 70 to delaying to fra and now that i took a look at some workups figuring the lost checks in the equation along with lost gains on what i am spending down from my portfolio waiting i am looking at 63. i am retiring at 62 in july so i will likely take the first check in january..

waiting is a big benefit if you need ss to eat though. not such a big deal if you were going to spend down a portfolio and give up checks while waiting .
Yeah for you. And you can still earn $15,700 approx. per year.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Mathjak: What is the formula used in Calculating Real Return On Delaying By Age column?
i don't think it is showing real return as in inflation adjusted as nothing is inflation adjusted . it appears to just be a simple dollar for dollar return and they called it "the real return "

Old 03-28-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Well, pros and cons of taking early of course but I also wanted to make sure it wasn't a big reduction if I quit working at 61 even though obviously I have to wait until at least 62 to take it and I'll possibly wait later. Going back and forth about what to do. Can afford to wait until after 62 but not sure I want to.
Spending your own money means less for your heirs.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:34 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,563,056 times
Default No heirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Spending your own money means less for your heirs.
I don't have heirs and the nieces and nephews will be ok. I'll undoubtedly have "something" to pass on, but it's a very low priority.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:36 PM

delaying usually leaves more for heirs not less .. don't forget if you delay to 70 and get almost 2x the ss check as 62 , your own spending from your portfolio drops way way down and not just for 8 years but possibly for decades. usually delaying leaves more for heirs . it all depends on how long you live and not if you spent down up front delaying or not.

just figuring average life expectancy for a 65 year old delaying leaves more for heirs.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:38 PM

It's the possibly that resonates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or