U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 05:24 PM

1,925 posts, read 989,645 times

Advertisements

"red necks, white socks, and blue ribbon beer"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:02 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,590,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Definitely hippyish compared to the other two choices ....... tiny Arcata CA would be one such place. Crazy, liberal, incredible redwood forests in the country's largest city park ....... low cost ganja for those who indulge ...... bagels for those who don't ........ ocean on one side, low mountains on the other ..... legally topless chicks in the town square, a university, elk herds not far north, etc.

Big box shopping is available down in nearby Eureka, just to the south.
Am very familiar with Arcata, so it's a good example how one person's 'paradise' might be another's 'poison'.

For example all that hippy "coolness" and "laissez-faire" attitude also attracts other elements as well.

No, It’s Not Just You: Crime in Humboldt County is Getting Much Worse
For the first time, the per capita number of violent crimes reported to the Arcata Police Department is greater than the national average.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:10 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,218,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
"red necks, white socks, and blue ribbon beer"
"ladies love country boys"

Old 03-30-2015, 09:30 PM

3,715 posts, read 2,198,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
I'll say yuppies.

What can I say? Just give me a clean, quiet neighborhood, and that's the group most likely to have one, in my opinion.

I'm not looking for a big social life, so it's not the people that matter as much as the surroundings.
They're probably the ones must inclined to butt into your business though.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:39 PM

6,625 posts, read 3,750,159 times
Ordinary people with nice houses and normal to large sized yards, who walk and job and bike in the neighborhood. Those wouldn't be rednecks (believe me...I've seen redneck houses). Hippy houses would not be as nice, i would think. And I doubt they'd be into walking the dogs daily, biking for exercise, and such. So I guess yuppies, although I'm not one. But they would live in the neighborhoods I'd find nice.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:48 AM

3,715 posts, read 2,198,448 times
Hippies are in tune with nature and walking dogs and biking is being with nature, so I'd say your perception on that is pretty wrong. I would find them the most inclined to be out and about like that. Yuppies will have to be dressed properly for the occasion lol

Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 AM

3,910 posts, read 4,650,428 times
Hippies are proud of their pretentions.
Yuppies are proud of their overt success.
Rednecks are proud of their trucks and gun.

I've lived amongst all three (by way of California, New York and now North Carolina) in my life, and have to say I'll stick with the yuppies.

I don't aspire to be like them, but they are easiest to get along with.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:41 AM

161 posts, read 177,270 times
My feelings on life are:

Live and let live
Take pride in what you have and expect reasonable upkeep from your neighbors.
Be thoughtful of those who cannot help themselves, but expect able-bodied folks
to carry their own weight.
Live on less than you make
Don't infringe on the peace of others
Enjoy life along the way

So what category does this put me into?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:58 AM

15,735 posts, read 26,776,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
I'll say yuppies.

What can I say? Just give me a clean, quiet neighborhood, and that's the group most likely to have one, in my opinion.

I'm not looking for a big social life, so it's not the people that matter as much as the surroundings.
Ok, so if the yuppies have the manucured lawns, nice cars, keep their homes up, and care about having a nice neighborhood then I guess that would be my choice.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 AM

546 posts, read 325,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
They're probably the ones must inclined to butt into your business though.
The only reason I think yuppies would butt into my business would be if we weren't taking care of our house and yard, which we would be, so what else would they worry about? My dogs? They stay in a fenced yard if they're not indoors (which is most of the time) and are leashed whenever I leave the house with them, and they're well cared for, so one has any reason to butt into that. And I don't have a whole sled team of them...

What kind of car I drive isn't going to matter because I keep it in a garage.

I'd say my husband and I are the types who don't give people a reason to butt into our business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or