U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,595,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
The only reason I think yuppies would butt into my business would be if we weren't taking care of our house and yard, which we would be, so what else would they worry about? My dogs? They stay in a fenced yard if they're not indoors (which is most of the time) and are leashed whenever I leave the house with them, and they're well cared for, so one has any reason to butt into that. And I don't have a whole sled team of them...

What kind of car I drive isn't going to matter because I keep it in a garage.

I'd say my husband and I are the types who don't give people a reason to butt into our business.
But that's the point, some folks don't need a "reason".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 10:17 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,157,703 times
This is a very funny but very perceptive blog describing the impact of various groups of people on the global economy

Dubito Ergo Sum: The Global Economy -Yuppies, Whoopies, Poppies and Ninjas

Quote:
Phase 1: The Yuppies and the Demand-Led Economy
In the 1980s the black-suited, keen-eyed, well-degreed, sore-nosed and suitably deodorised 26 year old lawyer of either sex was generally known as a Yuppie - a Young Upwardly-mobile Professional Person..

Some Yuppies restrained their power of reproduction in a desperate attempt to cling to their two-seater cars and their no-baby-sitter-necessary social gatherings and retain their status as Dinkies - Dual Income no Kids. The taxes and money from these groups helped refurbish the Keynesian demand-driven economy..

Phase 2: The Whoopie Factor in Global Finance
It was the turn of the ossified Yuppies. First known as the "greys" because they were in early retirement from 58 years old but it soon was clear that these were not your ordinary zimmer-framed, full-set greys. This variety dyed their hair, pulled out their savings and emerged as - Who(o)pies - Wealthy Healthy Older Persons.

At the end of the 20th century the Whoopies presence began to weaken. The squeeze on pensions, declining interest rates and increasing investments risks meant their conversations became laced with words and phrases as "fairness", "double cross" and "having worked for all this".

The Whoopies place in the world was under threat.

Phase 3: The Poppies and Ninjas Strike Back

It was not only the economic backwash from the actions of Whoopies but oppositional social events also started to occur. Whoopie excesses perhaps prompted the formation of a new bloc - Poorer Older Pension Persons - the Poppies.

And the Poppies may not be alone. In the late 2000s another group with similar attitudes emerged. The sub-prime mortgage crisis in the USA and elsewhere gave birth to the Ninjas - the No Income, No Job, or Assets people.

And so now behind the tranquillity of the silver-haired, bonus-taking Whoopie and the envious but supportive ex-Yuppie reading the "How to Spend It" supplement from the Financial Times lurks the worrying shadow of a new force in the world of abbreviations - a Ninja-Poppie alliance.
This blog did not mention the Hippies and the Rednecks' impact on the economy. It could be due to a number of factors: their population is relatively small or they can be the subset of the other groups (Yuppies, Dinkies, Whoopies, Poppies and Ninjas).

Old 03-31-2015, 10:35 AM

48,270 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
"ladies love country boys"
There is a difference between a "country boy" and a "redneck".

Old 03-31-2015, 10:41 AM

48,270 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Differences? Rednecks drink Budweiser, hippies drink cheap wine, yuppies drink microbrews, fine wines, or any outrageously costly booze, and hipsters drink Pabst beer for whatever inscrutable reason.

I find it interesting that yuppies and rednecks are both libertarian, and they despise liberalism ...... though the former are rich and the latter are usually poor (unless they get into making duck calls).
I guess I'm a yuppie by that definition. I have a professional job. I'm not 30 yet. I don't like Budweiser(or Miller for that matter). I'm not much of a drinker these days. However, if I ever do get beer(my last beer was two years ago), I want imported beer or the microbrews such as Sweetwater 420. I never liked Miller, Budweiser, or Natural Light.

I do have a slight libertarian streak. I am very pro-gun. Not in the "redneck" sort of way. I'm not the type to get a gun rack and a pickup truck. I'm more of a "just go buy one" kind of person. I'm also the type who really doesn't think prison is the way to solve the marijuana issue.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:22 PM

1,926 posts, read 992,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is a difference between a "country boy" and a "redneck".
lol it's a song title

Old 03-31-2015, 06:19 PM

21,934 posts, read 14,414,141 times
If I could afford it I'd live in Portland OR. I really would. Second choice would be a beach town on the OR coast. Either place would work for me.

I think one of your categories should be Beach, by the way.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:01 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,595,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
This is a very funny but very perceptive blog describing the impact of various groups of people on the global economy

Dubito Ergo Sum: The Global Economy -Yuppies, Whoopies, Poppies and Ninjas

This blog did not mention the Hippies and the Rednecks' impact on the economy. It could be due to a number of factors: their population is relatively small or they can be the subset of the other groups (Yuppies, Dinkies, Whoopies, Poppies and Ninjas).
"Poorer Older Pension Persons" and "No Income, No Job, or Assets", aka, Poppies and Ninjas, sound like very 'timely' ones. Especially since a lot of places that are worth retiring to, and yet still affordable, are also gonna appeal to both!

Old 03-31-2015, 07:36 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I would like to see a definition of each of these terms from the OP, so we're all on the same page re: who we're talking about. Everyone has their own subjective notion of definitions, and as I said earlier, it's almost always stereotyping. So....definitions?
A redneck is a term invented to originally describe men who do actual labor thus the redneck as they often work in outdoors. Not office types. Atho I guess since I work in office I am some other sort; but have always associated with people who worked at labor of one sort or the other. I think everyone know what a hippie is at our age. Yuppie seems to vary; altho does not seem to match anyone around here really. I mean here if you work indoors your likely to play at whatever outdoors when off.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:48 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 25 days ago)

10,510 posts, read 14,343,593 times
If you mean an actual redneck, instead of ignorant trash, that's my first choice, then hippy, then yuppies. Mostly yuppies are last because I'm afraid they would always be too busy or too afraid of getting dirty if I needed physical help of some sort.
Quote:
Honey Boo Boo. Rednecks.
Nope. Redneck does not equal trash or beer guzzlin' ignoramuses.

Last edited by DubbleT; 03-31-2015 at 08:01 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 PM

1,926 posts, read 992,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If you mean an actual redneck, instead of ignorant trash, that's my first choice, then hippy, then yuppies. Mostly yuppies are last because I'm afraid they would always be too busy or too afraid of getting dirty if I needed physical help of some sort.
Nope. Redneck does not equal trash or beer guzzlin' ignoramuses.
thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or