U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 11:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well, no need now, when some folks have already done such a great job of defining pedantic "preacher" types by example!
Can't meet the challenge of providing definitions, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 10:20 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,587,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Can't meet the challenge of providing definitions, eh?
Ah, the heartbreak of being obsessive, "hyper-literal" and "irony-challenged" (which probably explains the need for living in such a sheltered environment… so you have my sympathy)!

Old 04-05-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Ah, the heartbreak of being obsessive, "hyper-literal" and "irony-challenged" (which probably explains the need for living in such a sheltered environment… so you have my sympathy)!
Sounds like, with the avoidance wish you're talking about in a move, you live a lot more "sheltered" than I do. I have lived in big cities, inner cities, suburbs, and towns in and out of my native New England, and among people of various cultural, ethnic, and political persuasions, and have neither encountered a problem nor wished to avoid any one "kind" of people. I've had neighbors, students, and friends of my kids of all socioeconomic and lifestyle backgrounds and it was just "normal." I'm more bothered by the kids next door playing basketball at 7:00 p.m. than I've ever been of any "kind" of folks.

Nonetheless, I do not judge those who want to avoid certain "kinds" of people. It is their right to do so.

On this particular thread, you've reduced "kinds" of people to three (well, maybe four?), and since that's so strange to my own experience and to the experience of many I know, I only asked that you define those three. I have no argument with you, just perplexed that for the sake of discussion you won't say what a hippie, a yuppie, and a redneck are to you.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I have no argument with you, just perplexed that for the sake of discussion you won't say what a hippie, a yuppie, and a redneck are to you.
I just realized this is never going to happen, so carry on. I'll enjoy reading the posts.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:03 PM

1,924 posts, read 988,551 times
Quote:
Sounds like, with the avoidance wish you're talking about in a move, you live a lot more "sheltered" than I do. I have lived in big cities, inner cities, suburbs, and towns in and out of my native New England, and among people of various cultural, ethnic, and political persuasions, and have neither encountered a problem nor wished to avoid any one "kind" of people. I've had neighbors, students, and friends of my kids of all socioeconomic and lifestyle backgrounds and it was just "normal." I'm more bothered by the kids next door playing basketball at 7:00 p.m. than I've ever been of any "kind" of folks.

Nonetheless, I do not judge those who want to avoid certain "kinds" of people. It is their right to do so.

On this particular thread, you've reduced "kinds" of people to three (well, maybe four?), and since that's so strange to my own experience and to the experience of many I know, I only asked that you define those three. I have no argument with you, just perplexed that for the sake of discussion you won't say what a hippie, a yuppie, and a redneck are to you.
thank you. I can't rep you. I think this has been my problem with this thread from the beginning. So many people seeming to think that the stereotype they adhere to is the true one, and that everyone else feels the same.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:29 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,153,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
So many people seeming to think that the stereotype they adhere to is the true one, and that everyone else feels the same.
My read of this thread is different from you. I think mateo45 started this thread in a kind of tongue-in-check way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45
So if you had to choose your "annoyances", and all other things being equal, which kinda place would you find the easiest to, um "tolerate", and why?
Whether we admit it or not, we all harbor some preconceived notions, stereotypical impressions of groups of people which are different from us. Posters here come from all different background, regions and ages so it is expected that we have different opinions and prejudices. This is not to say that prejudices are a good thing, but it's not realistic to deny their existence in others and even in ourselves. IMO, being aware of our prejudices is the best way to monitor or control them.

If anything, I am amused by the different impressions and reasons for annoyances expressed by different posters. There are good manner and bad manner people in all economic strata, regions, social/educational status. The same goes with all other human behaviors. Furthermore, we all judge others by our own yardstick.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:42 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Neither, or none of the above.

I prefer living in a largely Hispanic area.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:45 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
My read of this thread is different from you. I think mateo45 started this thread in a kind of tongue-in-check way.
My interpretation is the same as yours. I see the original post as a light-hearted, almost whimsical endeavor. What has interested me is how deadly seriously some people have treated it, complete with moralistic lectures about the evils of stereotyping and demands for precise definitions of everything.

Give me a break - it's not as if we are collectively writing a Ph.D. thesis here! Let's ditch the grim faces! I am so tempted to tell one more red neck joke, but that would start the whole grimness all over again.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:04 PM

1,924 posts, read 988,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post

Whether we admit it or not, we all harbor some preconceived notions, stereotypical impressions of groups of people which are different from us. Posters here come from all different background, regions and ages so it is expected that we have different opinions and prejudices. This is not to say that prejudices are a good thing, but it's not realistic to deny their existence in others and even in ourselves. IMO, being aware of our prejudices is the best way to monitor or control them.

If anything, I am amused by the different impressions and reasons for annoyances expressed by different posters. There are good manner and bad manner people in all economic strata, regions, social/educational status. The same goes with all other human behaviors. Furthermore, we all judge others by our own yardstick.
I think we are saying the same thing. It is to be expected that we have different opinions and prejudices, and that what we each consider the definition of the sterotypes (I'm starting to hate that word) named comes from personal perspectives. I don't think the OP was trying to start anything other than a light hearted thread.

It still bothers me. I guess the worst I can say is that I think its in bad taste, and not so different from using racial or ethnic stereotypes.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:00 PM

19,837 posts, read 18,845,295 times
I saw this thread as a light, funny, escape from all the serious threads in this forum. It's not about death and disease or finances or loss. It's not about worrisome major lifestyle changes or downsizing or relocating. Whew. It was like a joke.

It's not racist, there is no mention of any race or even ethnic group. It's just three general types of make believe people. No one is really 100% a hippie, there is no scientific test to tell us. No one is redneck or yuppie either. It's all in our individual perception, as so many people have already stated.

To me it was like a game: would you rather live next to someone with a noisy car or people who are so quiet that you wonder what's going on or people who are really nice but painted their house a gaudy bright shade of pink?

Our choices probably reveal something about ourselves, that's all. I'm more like a hippie but dh likes to get all greasy working on cars so maybe we're rednecks, although my Ex was a CPA so maybe I used to be a yuppie. Ooops, we ate Easter dinner in a genuine DINER so we must be rednecks but we drove there in an imported car so we are Yuppies. No, we empty our kitchen scraps into a compost bin so we must be hippies! See? That's how I see it, just a silly game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or