U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 04:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I guess put me down for hippies and rednecks in whatever proportion you have, but hold the yuppies if you don't mind. If they have a libertarian bent, so much the better.

Interesting that it seems to me posters who live in rural settings are more like me on this, preferring hippies and/or rednecks (who will be at a distance most of the time) while urban posters are more OK with yuppies (because their neighbors will be close in). Given that the "u" in yuppie is for "urban" - maybe they are only found in urban settings so there you go?

Am I on to something with that last observation?
Depends on the definition of yuppie—their clear socioeconomic status, activities, habits and age range. Other than the acronmyn definition, it hasn't yet been nailed down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 04:54 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,553,017 times
If I could pick the perfect place it would have the sort of 'feel' where I chose to live has without the opressive religion. I am not only wiccan but dislike dealing with christanity entierly. I have no problem with them practicing their religion, but make it your choice and never impose on others. The other factors for choice of home are cost and climate. No far northern climes where you have to shovel three feet of snow to get out the door, (brrrrrrrrrr) Or straight on desert heat, which is almost where I lived before. I'd say no tornados but where I live has had few.

Affordable matters too. Pace of life is desirable to be slow. I'm done with rushing everywhere, never liked it.

So this place works except for all the religion. I will say I'm very open about mine, and nobody had tried to save me (did in California, with the conservatives in the county agressively anti anything not them). But they pass LAWS here favoring their chosen kind. Bad bad policy.

So of the three, I'd say hippy since its more close to me than any of the rest.

Artist colony would be my absolute best.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:51 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,591,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
If I could pick the perfect place it would have the sort of 'feel' where I chose to live has without the opressive religion. I am not only wiccan but dislike dealing with christanity entierly. I have no problem with them practicing their religion, but make it your choice and never impose on others. The other factors for choice of home are cost and climate. No far northern climes where you have to shovel three feet of snow to get out the door, (brrrrrrrrrr) Or straight on desert heat, which is almost where I lived before. I'd say no tornados but where I live has had few.

Affordable matters too. Pace of life is desirable to be slow. I'm done with rushing everywhere, never liked it.

So this place works except for all the religion. I will say I'm very open about mine, and nobody had tried to save me (did in California, with the conservatives in the county agressively anti anything not them). But they pass LAWS here favoring their chosen kind. Bad bad policy.

So of the three, I'd say hippy since its more close to me than any of the rest.

Artist colony would be my absolute best.
Yeah, the "oppressive" part really seems to be what folks are most concerned about, rather than any opposition to 'diversity' or anyone's particular 'lifestyle'… regardless whether it's 'counterculture', 'hillbilly', 'upwardly mobile', or even 'religious'. Though as you point out, whenever any one of 'em starts to "dominate" too much, is usually where the 'diversity' decreases and the 'impositions' increase (aka, proselytizing, extremist politics, bigoted "good 'ol boys", excessively "P.C.", over-controlling HOA's, police 'profiling', whatever)!

Last edited by mateo45; 04-11-2015 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 08:55 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,553,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yeah, the "oppressive" part really seems to be what folks are most concerned about, rather than any opposition to 'diversity' or anyone's particular 'lifestyle'… regardless whether it's 'counterculture', 'hillbilly', 'upwardly mobile', or even 'religious'. Though as you point out, whenever any one of 'em starts to "dominate" too much, is usually where the 'diversity' decreases and the 'impositions' increase (aka, proselytizing, extremist politics, bigoted "good 'ol boys", excessively "P.C.", over-controlling HOA's, police 'profiling', whatever)!
The state legislature has decided to try to dodge gay marriage by half of it so far passing a bill where ONLY the Christan and Jewish churches define marriage by taking the state completly out. So this leaves out muslems and pagans and so forth. If they pass it its going to be another circus, but also cause serious hurt to the citizens. I think maybe the rah rah over football and basketball had warped their brains.

This I'd really call going 'excessive'. Of course, on the local side, the 'city' (maybe 4k who actually live here) built a new police station so they are working on squeezing out all the $$$ they can out of the citizenry to pay for it. Better cut your grass or they'll come up with a $$$ fine.

Thinking of moving out of town to straight county land if I could....just wish I could take my house with me

Old 05-28-2015, 02:01 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,937,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, my experience is different from yours. Rednecks have actually harassed me. And what you say about rednecks being "less likely to draw crime-prone undesirables", I disagree with that. Having lived in metro Atlanta for a long time, I've seen this for myself. Areas that had a large "redneck" presence managed to draw the crime prone. Clayton County was considered a "redneck" kind of place. Criminal elements from Atlanta still got there. Douglas County had that redneck element, and criminal elements reached that area too. Having rednecks around doesn't stop criminal elements from going to an area.
Georgia? Those aren't rednecks, those are inbred hillbillies. There is a difference.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:16 AM

171 posts, read 143,843 times
I'd go with yuppies, hippies then rednecks

Rednecks are the most likely to be goofed out on oxycontin and booze, with guns and generally are angry, violent and prone to crime.

Hippies used to be ok but now you'll get measles from their kids

i've lived amongst yuppies for decades and never had a single issue

Old 05-28-2015, 05:14 AM

81 posts, read 69,178 times
Hmmmmm....most people would profile me as a yuppie, but I'm most comfortable with the "laid back, responsible, live and let live" neighbors and friends.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:42 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, my experience is different from yours. Rednecks have actually harassed me. And what you say about rednecks being "less likely to draw crime-prone undesirables", I disagree with that. Having lived in metro Atlanta for a long time, I've seen this for myself. Areas that had a large "redneck" presence managed to draw the crime prone. Clayton County was considered a "redneck" kind of place. Criminal elements from Atlanta still got there. Douglas County had that redneck element, and criminal elements reached that area too. Having rednecks around doesn't stop criminal elements from going to an area.
Yes...the recent melee down in Texas could have killed innocent bystanders. (At least it was confined to themselves).

Old 05-28-2015, 07:51 AM

3,461 posts, read 1,856,983 times
I want to live in a place where I can go for a cup of coffee because I like the people there and not because of the name on the store. I want to live next to neighbors where I can walk next door and enjoy their company without worrying if I'll set off their alarm or be looking at the business end of a Remington. I want to live in a town that comes together in the worst of times and doesn't ask or care what God you pray to, who you sleep with or who you voted for. Do yuppies, hippies, or red necks live there? Probably. If I have to look for a place that fits a mold, then that's not where I want to be.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 20 days ago)

2,420 posts, read 4,314,656 times
I wanna be able to pee in my backyard
I wanna let my dog run loose
I wanna be able to shoot my guns
I wanna be able to build a fire
I wanna be able to have all the tools and equipment I want including junk cars and tractors
I wanna build stuff without building permits
I wanna be able to work on my own stuff

I don't wanna worry about how tall the grass is
I don't wanna worry about BBQing at my home
I don't wanna worry about how clean my roof is
I don't wanna worry about what my neighbors "think"

I don't need landscaping
I don't need paved roads
I don't need city water and sewer
I don't need streetlights

I need to live and let live... and some land in between me and my neighbors.

Name:  images.png
Views: 112
Size:  1.5 KB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or