U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:55 AM

116 posts, read 79,141 times

Advertisements

There's certainly a wide variation of all these "types" and most folks probably contain a little touch of all of them. I'd have to say the hippies would be those I'd go most into the flow with. I remember when hippies were the share the land kinda' people, without a whole lot of money. However, utopias cannot realistically exist on earth and the communes, by and large, ran their course. I wasn't actually a hard-core hippie, but more into the green tea and Thoreau crowd (still am). Interestingly, I hear of a similar resurgence of the old "commune" idea coming around again in the form of tiny home or off-grid communities, etc. Still the same concept of like-minded folks living together. Social patterns tend to repeat themselves. Today, I see more yuppie-hippies than most anything else; yuppie-minded ideas, expendable income, large homes, and owning all the "stuff" - yet, talk of all the conservation, love love. I see less of those attuned to the natural world, and all the problems that ensue from that. All in all, better a hippie, albeit a new-age one, than a city-slicker yuppie, or a redneck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 04:06 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,534,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I wanna be able to pee in my backyard
I wanna let my dog run loose
I wanna be able to shoot my guns
I wanna be able to build a fire
I wanna be able to have all the tools and equipment I want including junk cars and tractors
I wanna build stuff without building permits
I wanna be able to work on my own stuff

I don't wanna worry about how tall the grass is
I don't wanna worry about BBQing at my home
I don't wanna worry about how clean my roof is
I don't wanna worry about what my neighbors "think"

I don't need landscaping
I don't need paved roads
I don't need city water and sewer
I don't need streetlights

I need to live and let live... and some land in between me and my neighbors.

Attachment 150769
The only thing with the grass is if you live where its not city, and its dry so your making a fire danger, the county may come in and tell you to cut it short. Or maybe they'll come in an cut it for you with a bill. Health and safety can apply even out of town.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 PM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 14 days ago)

2,365 posts, read 4,302,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The only thing with the grass is if you live where its not city, and its dry so your making a fire danger, the county may come in and tell you to cut it short. Or maybe they'll come in an cut it for you with a bill. Health and safety can apply even out of town.
That's what livestock do.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:55 PM

2,903 posts, read 2,009,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I wanna be able to pee in my backyard
I wanna let my dog run loose
I wanna be able to shoot my guns
I wanna be able to build a fire
I wanna be able to have all the tools and equipment I want including junk cars and tractors
I wanna build stuff without building permits
I wanna be able to work on my own stuff

I don't wanna worry about how tall the grass is
I don't wanna worry about BBQing at my home
I don't wanna worry about how clean my roof is
I don't wanna worry about what my neighbors "think"

I don't need landscaping
I don't need paved roads
I don't need city water and sewer
I don't need streetlights

I need to live and let live... and some land in between me and my neighbors.

Attachment 150769

That "land in between me and my neighbors" is crucial for any of this to work. Much of this is all well and good if everybody has (and can afford) 100+ acres and about a mile between neighbors. But when someone with this mindset moves into a city or suburb on a 5,000 square foot lot next to a dozen other people on 5,000 square foot lots, it's a wretched nightmare for everyone else around them. I've seen it happen on more than one occassion.

Last edited by Jowel; 05-28-2015 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 14 days ago)

2,365 posts, read 4,302,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That "land in between me and my neighbors" is crucial for any of this to work. Much of this is all well and good if everybody has (and can afford) 100+ acres and about a mile between neighbors. But when someone with this mindset moves into a city or suburb on a 5,000 square foot lot next to a dozen other people on 5,000 square foot lots, it's a wretched nightmare for everyone else around them. I've seen it happen on more than one occassion.
We call that a barn.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:52 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,918,871 times
Such terms are just marketing labels as if everyone fits into a no gray zone. The only label I care about is living around people who are considerate/decent people. I'll let the marketers and others who enjoy fixed labeling of people assign their no wiggle room definition of people.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:17 PM

4,071 posts, read 1,552,805 times
Funny how it is no longer PC to make fun of blonds, Polish, LGBT, African Americans, Native Americans, disabled people, etc, but people still think it's okay to make jokes about "rednecks" and "hillbillys". And I guess fat people and old people are also still fair game, as long as they are white. Hmmmm.

And I've concluded that those attempts at humor say more about the person making the "joke" than the people they are trying to belittle. But that's just me.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:30 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile Could have written this myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I have to go with "yuppies". I grew up in the projects in Detroit, and made it my life's goal to better myself, therefore, I don't relate to "rednecks." And as a child of the '60's, and I mean a child, I was a teen in the early '70's, I didn't relate to the "hippies". And actually, seeing the '60's footage of the times and people as they were, I don't care for that time period. I did, however, learn about the Women's Movement during that time period and it shaped me during my formative years.
Yuppie for me however tolerant of all. I do like CW music though

Old 05-30-2015, 04:34 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile Love this also

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahippo View Post
i'd prefer someplace that doesn't categorize people.
+1

Old 05-30-2015, 06:25 PM

1,316 posts, read 833,123 times
I think this song's lyrics says it all:

"Everyday People"

Sometimes I'm right and I can be wrong
My own beliefs are in my song
The butcher, the banker, the drummer and then
Makes no difference what group I'm in
I am everyday people, yeah, yeah

There is a blue one
Who can't accept the green one
For living with a fat one
Trying to be a skinny one
Different strokes
For different folks

And so on and so on
And scooby dooby dooby
Oh sha sha
We got to live together

I am no better and neither are you
We are the same, whatever we do
You love me, you hate me, you know me and then
You can't figure out the bag I'm in
I am everyday people, yeah yeah

There is a long hair
That doesn't like the short hair
For being such a rich one
That will not help the poor one
Different strokes
For different folks

And so on and so on
And scooby dooby dooby
Oh sha sha
We got to live together

There is a yellow one
That won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one
That won't accept the white one
Different strokes
For different folks

And so on and so on
And scooby dooby dooby
Oh sha sha
I am everyday people

By Sly and the Family Stone 1969
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or