U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:09 AM

38,129 posts, read 14,894,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Having had rednecks for neighbors I can say they don't care if your dog runs loose and they're priceless if you need your pasture bush-hogged. Someone always had a pickup truck if you needed one. They were all related in a confusing daisy-chain sort of way so I was a bit of an outsider, and they had names like Hawk, Kitten and Cheese (all men) but they were nice to my family. One thing about them is they usually live in the country. I like country. But there's more meth activity in those areas so...
I like redneck, good ol' boy neighbors for these exact same reasons. They'll help out in a pinch and don't ***** about you growing tomatoes in your front yard. Conversations tend to be odd.

I like yuppie neighbors. They brew their own beer and share. Conversations tend to be tedious.

I like hippie neighbors. They grow their own weed and share. Conversations tend to be confusing.

Least favorite neighbors are "good Christians." Despite their constant talk about "fellowship" and "moral values" and so forth, they always end up ripping us off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 07:39 AM

1,924 posts, read 988,107 times
It's official. I have no sense of humor.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:41 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,861,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
If you had to choose a place to retire that seemed like a pretty good "fit" in most ways (locale, weather, size, economy, etc.), but was otherwise predominantly either one "cultural extreme" or another…say, like either mostly "hippy", "yuppie", or else had a very high "redneck" quotient… which kinda place would you prefer?

For example, while "it takes all kinds", and everywhere has some sort of "mix", some places seem to 'lean' one way more than others, each with their 'downside'. Personally I tend to prefer more "rustic" values than somewhere with a high concentration of yuppies, although I don't much relate to redneck 'culture' either (Nascar, Harleys, tats, C/W music, etc.). But even as a "lib-rul", I also kinda get tired of too many 'earth mother', p.c., 'new-agey', hipper-than-thou folks too.

So if you had to choose your "annoyances", and all other things being equal, which kinda place would you find the easiest to, um "tolerate", and why?
Doesn't matter where I live, I have never agreed with anybody 100%

I live on the boarder between red neck gun toaters and retired golfers. Go to the grocery store and you see a guy with a "Dirt racing rules" T shirt and a guy with a collard golf shirt and sock-less Topsiders. Young girls with tats picking up a case of Bud Light and another tat-less cutie with a couple bottles of Chardonnay.

Life is good in the Sand-hills.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:44 AM

29,774 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Doesn't matter where I live, I have never agreed with anybody 100%

I live on the boarder between red neck gun toaters and retired golfers. Go to the grocery store and you see a guy with a "Dirt racing rules" T shirt and a guy with a collard golf shirt and sock-less Topsiders. Young girls with tats picking up a case of Bud Light and another tat-less cutie with a couple bottles of Chardonnay.

Life is good in the Sand-hills.
Being a minority transplant from the world of Yuppies to North Carolina and I can understand your comments. The outside world concept of Redneck isn't the same as the application of the concept in real life.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:01 AM

4,196 posts, read 3,081,647 times
Quote:
If you had to choose a place to retire that seemed like a pretty good "fit" in most ways (locale, weather, size, economy, etc.), but was otherwise predominantly either one "cultural extreme" or another…say, like either mostly "hippy", "yuppie", or else had a very high "redneck" quotient… which kinda place would you prefer?

For example, while "it takes all kinds", and everywhere has some sort of "mix", some places seem to 'lean' one way more than others, each with their 'downside'. Personally I tend to prefer more "rustic" values than somewhere with a high concentration of yuppies, although I don't much relate to redneck 'culture' either (Nascar, Harleys, tats, C/W music, etc.). But even as a "lib-rul", I also kinda get tired of too many 'earth mother', p.c., 'new-agey', hipper-than-thou folks too.

So if you had to choose your "annoyances", and all other things being equal, which kinda place would you find the easiest to, um "tolerate", and why?

You'd be surprised to find out that most rednecks get along pretty well with hippies.

The what: I'd prefer a place that leans redneck, with a little bit of hippie influence. And being from Texas, I need a little bit of Mexican influence, as well.

The why: I'm from the country. I get along with rednecks, hippies, cowboys, and farmers - but I can't stand yuppies, or really, anybody who puts on airs.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:11 AM

14,969 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Hmm, which group makes the best nursing home employees? That's what matters in the end, since they'll be taking care of you.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:16 AM

38,129 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Hmm, which group makes the best nursing home employees? That's what matters in the end, since they'll be taking care of you.
None of these groups are known for producing particularly good nursing home employees. Hippies are kind of fun, but forgetful. Miss a lot of shifts for vague reasons. Yuppies are too good for that kind of work. Redneck woman tend to be a bit rough around the edges, but they do they best they can. They have a tendency to get in a huff and quit out of the clear blue.

If you're looking for good, steady nursing home employees, the group you want to be around is the undocumented. Many were raised in cultures that value the elderly, always a plus, and most tend to be hard workers.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:36 AM

2,904 posts, read 1,583,756 times
Definitely hippies, I'm looking for a place where I can retire to without having to wear anything but t-shirts, jeans & sandals for the rest of my days with some occasional wacky weed available with my Creedence or Dylan. Finally unleash my Inner Lebowski after decades of responsible toeing the line. As mentioned some rednecks are perfectly ok if they aren't the get drunk & fight on Saturday night types, but I don't want to talk about football or vehicles all the time.

It's a broad stereotype you gave us to choose, but I definitely want a more liberal environment without the prices yuppies brag about affording.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:20 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,153,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There's a lot of stereotyping going on in the OP's assumptions......
Sure there are areas where these "kinds" of people live and work and congregate, but in reality, people are complex, and privately a mix. ......But there are real people who are cannot be defined in one of those three ways, they do not fit neatly into one of those boxes.
I agree.

I'd like to live in a town where there are many civic minded people, where people are mostly civil, personally responsible but also open-minded, friendly, helpful but not imposing. I also would like to be able to find some non-provincial/non-parochial people with intellectual curiosity but also unpretentious, not snobbish and don't posses the holier-than-thou attitude to associate with.

Using only the stereotypical definition of rednecks, yuppies and hippies, my guess is that I am more likely to find people with the characteristics that I am looking for in a town with more hippies.

Disclaimer: I have never been a hippie and absolutely can not stand the smell of hippies's weed, rednecks' cigarette or yuppie's cigars ;-) They can smoke in their own home but not in confined public places.

PS. To answer the OP's question of which group of people is most tolerable, my ranking would be from hippie to redneck to yuppie. For me, the yuppies who meet all the stereotypical images (materialistic, image-conscious, self-centered and 'holier-than-thou' - I made it so I deserve it. Why would I care about those worthless moochers etc.) are very hard to put up with

Last edited by BellaDL; 03-29-2015 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,325,793 times
Quote:

Being that I was born a redneck and never forgot my roots even though I went off and got "edjumacated", I would be -- and am -- most comfortable among rednecks, or more honestly, hillbillies. I like twangy country music, football, and NASCAR. I own a 16 gauge shotgun and a .22 rifle. I have my dad's trophy bass and his last buck's antlers hanging in my living room. If I had my druthers in retirement, I'd be this weird old bat in a floppy hat and barn boots living out on a piece of land in the country with dogs, cats, horses, and some chickens, gardening in the summer and quilting/sewing all winter. I don't think I'll actually do that because I would worry about what would happen to my crits if I passed. It's also really hard for an older person or couple to live out in the country on their own as they age, so that's also a consideration.

The small city where I live now, and where I plan to retire, is a good mix of redneck and more sophisticated society. It is a laid back, friendly place that's big enough to have amenities like shopping, dining, entertainment as well as necessities like medical facilities and emergency services. It's also close enough to bigger places (Erie, PA and Buffalo, NY) to take advantage of their size but to avoid most of the disadvantages of actually living in mid/large metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or