U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:00 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Sure there are areas where these "kinds" of people live and work and congregate, but in reality, people are complex, and privately a mix. Any metro area is going to be a mix. My neighborhood is somewhat of a mix. But there are real people who are cannot be defined in one of those three ways, they do not fit neatly into one of those boxes. I'm one of them; I am none of the three. Just bland, I guess. Maybe I'm the safest next-door neighbor you could have.
I am not any of the three either, and I would imagine the majority of Retirement Forum posters would say the same. That's not the point; the OP has posed a thought question.

I am too unpretentious to be a yuppie, too educated to be a redneck, and too disciplined to be a hippie. And yes, that previous sentence is an over-simplification. I wouldn't fit in very well in any environment that is overwhelmingly either yuppie, redneck, or hippie, but as stated previously, I think being around yuppies would irritate me less than being around the other two groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 10:16 AM

34,686 posts, read 33,686,426 times
Last night I just re-watched the South Park episode where they get an infestation of hippies and the town hires Cartman (he acts like a bug exterminator, sprays a drum circle in a backyard, finds one behind a wall and a group smoking in the attic an older lady's house) to get rid of them when they have a music festival that attracts a whole lot more of them. It's one of their funniest episodes and of course, Stan's parents, who are so aghast at the whole hippie invasion actually went to Woodstock so there are flashbacks. If you have Comcast cable, you can watch it On Demand until Tuesday, when they change the episode offerings. There are various types of hippies and the kids get caught up with the college know-it-all hippies. I won't tell you how he gets rid of the ones at the festival but he just makes them want to leave. It's called "Die Hippie Die."

You can read about it here:

Die Hippie, Die - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They have had Yuppie episodes, too, like "Smug Alert," which was also really funny, when Kyle's parents (his father is a lawyer) decide to move to San Francisco because people in South Park aren't intelligent enough to drive hybrid cars (the hybrid car's name is The Pious) and save the planet. People with them drive around congratulating themselves for their concerns about the environment.

Smug Alert! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And half of South Park is redneck, including Kenny's parents, so there have been several episodes about that. The one that comes immediately to mind is "Goobacks" about aliens from the future coming for work through a space portal. "They took our jobs!" Dey turk er jerbs!

Goobacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just thought hippies, yuppies, rednecks can be funny, too.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 AM

2,987 posts, read 2,141,849 times
At 60 years old, I consider myself to be a late middle-aged, pot smoking hippie liberterian with occasional redneck tendencies. Most anything goes as long as you don't hurt nobody or pose a danger to the safety of others or get in anybody's personal space. I think that about sums it up.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 AM

12,691 posts, read 14,074,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
If you had to choose a place to retire that seemed like a pretty good "fit" in most ways (locale, weather, size, economy, etc.), but was otherwise predominantly either one "cultural extreme" or another…say, like either mostly "hippy", "yuppie", or else had a very high "redneck" quotient…
So if you had to choose your "annoyances", and all other things being equal, which kinda place would you find the easiest to, um "tolerate", and why?
I gave up on it, admitted defeat and moved abroad.

This way I got to start over. If I figured right, by the time I know how the pie is sliced and who annoys me and what I have to tolerate I will probably be terminally ill and relatively unconcerned about it.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 31,375,582 times
Pot smoking isn't only for hippies, there's lots of redneck pot smokers in my neck of the woods.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:25 AM

3,563 posts, read 2,058,577 times
my neighbours aren't rednecks, yuppies or hippies, just normal British working people, fairly poor compared to some parts of the country( low wage, high house price area), some are working-minimum wage, some are on welfare, but its a fairly friendly, low population, small rural market town.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:28 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,588,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There's a lot of stereotyping going on in the OP's assumptions. With this stereotyping comes the image of the hippie as being longhaired flower child of the 60s, unwilling to work (trust funds?) and/or back to the land with barefoot pregnant women and kids running half naked all over the place. With this mindset, yuppies are ivy leaguers (trust funds?) with upscale homes and cars, yogurt and yoga and tai chi and Pilates, LL Beaners, etc. With these kinds of assumptions, a rednecker is anyone who packs a piece, hunts, grills steak, drives a truck, drinks beer, working class, loves nascar. (I've heard and read it all.)

Sure there are areas where these "kinds" of people live and work and congregate, but in reality, people are complex, and privately a mix. Any metro area is going to be a mix. My neighborhood is somewhat of a mix. But there are real people who are cannot be defined in one of those three ways, they do not fit neatly into one of those boxes. I'm one of them; I am none of the three. Just bland, I guess. Maybe I'm the safest next-door neighbor you could have.
Of course no one ever fits entirely into one category or another, and I'm just making broad, easily recognizable generalizations to help narrow down the "choices". Although frankly that kinda "nit picking" is exactly the sorta answer I would expect from a sometime artist & writer, who hates guns, and promotes "vegetarianism" (aka, aging "hippie")!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I like redneck, good ol' boy neighbors for these exact same reasons. They'll help out in a pinch and don't ***** about you growing tomatoes in your front yard. Conversations tend to be odd.

I like yuppie neighbors. They brew their own beer and share. Conversations tend to be tedious.

I like hippie neighbors. They grow their own weed and share. Conversations tend to be confusing.

Least favorite neighbors are "good Christians." Despite their constant talk about "fellowship" and "moral values" and so forth, they always end up ripping us off.
Hadn't really thought about the "religious" types, but here in CA where we've got 'em all (in various "proportions"), they usually tend to be more of the 'redneck' persuasion, including the 'mega-church' variety, who are often just former rednecks turned suburban yuppie.

Although on the upside, if I personally had to choose between rednecks, yuppies and hippies… at least the more secular 'rednecks' often do seem to be the most authentic and unpretentious. Which is to say they're also the least likely to care about whether my house, car, lifestyle, politics, etc. are either sufficiently "upscale"….or else "P.C." & "Green" enough!

Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 AM

1,942 posts, read 3,919,731 times
I just want to live among people with a laissez-faire attitude, i.e. who allow anyone to voluntary associate with each other - no third party intervention. That says a lot. Google voluntaryism.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:02 AM

19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times
Hippies. I grew up in a town that was composed of Yuppies although they weren't called by that name back in those days. Materialism, snobbiness, show offs, not caring about much of anything except money and themselves.

I see lots of rednecks because that's what the state of New Hampshire is mostly composed of. Loud, beer drinkers, lack of education, country music. I've seen them in the south too. They can be mean, they can be nice.

So I'd take hippies first, then rednecks, and last and least, yuppies.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:18 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,154,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So I'd take hippies first, then rednecks, and last and least, yuppies.
I added a PS to my 1st post which stated the same thing before seeing your.

I have some friends who are hippies and some are rednecks. We have lived and worked among yuppies most of our schooling/working life and find it very difficult to make friends or remaining friends with any of them!! Their value systems are very alien and completely opposite to ours in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or