U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:19 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Hippies. I grew up in a town that was composed of Yuppies although they weren't called by that name back in those days. Materialism, snobbiness, show offs, not caring about much of anything except money and themselves.

I see lots of rednecks because that's what the state of New Hampshire is mostly composed of. Loud, beer drinkers, lack of education, country music. I've seen them in the south too. They can be mean, they can be nice.

So I'd take hippies first, then rednecks, and last and least, yuppies.
And this describes the mentality of far too many rednecks:

I received this from the Change.org:

KENTUCKY REMAINS THE DOG FIGHTING CAPITOL OF THE COUNTRY

Renee Marcum-LoseyStanton, KY

Mar 26, 2015 — Well, it's really over this time. We fought the good fight but SB143 is officially dead. All those phone calls you made and emails you sent all day on Tuesday 3/24 breathed some life back into the Bill. All those ringing phones convinced the Senate leaders that they should try to do something to take the heat off. So the bill was resurrected and sent back to conference to see if a solution could be worked out. Around 2:00 that day Republican Senator Damon Thayer tweeted the following:

To those fretting about #sb143, #kyga15 isn't over til 12 am. We're hoping 4 conference committee to make it better.

Our hopes rose that maybe we could still get the Bill passed - or at least to the floor for a roll-call vote. Once in conference our side negotiated in good faith, but the supporters of dog-fighting wouldn't. Our side agreed to change the wording from all four-legged animals to canine on canine fighting. (Every other state specifies no fighting between all four-legged animals for profit or pleasure. The reason is dogs now are being made to fight hogs, bears and other animals). But our side was willing to change that wording to save the Bill. We knew we could come back next January and try to change it back to all four-legged animals.

This just makes me sick - no compassion - no brains - no conscience.

I lived with a group of hippies during my second year in college. My ex roommate had left school and I needed a place to stay for 3 months. Total pigs - in fact, a couple left to go live in a former pig pen with a tent for shelter. I don't have to tell you what they smelled like. Anything to be outrageous. My ex roommate came to visit with her new beau - a guy getting ready to enter the police force. One step in the apartment is all you needed for a contact high - so embarrassing. Guilt by association.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 01:07 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,591,960 times
^ ^ And regardless the 'culture', it's also nice to have neighbors who won't spend every waking moment trying to recruit 'ya to some sorta "cause" (religion, politics, PETA, DARE, Save the Whales, whatever…)!

Old 03-29-2015, 01:59 PM

19,842 posts, read 18,867,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ ^ And regardless the 'culture', it's also nice to have neighbors who won't spend every waking moment trying to recruit 'ya to some sorta "cause" (religion, politics, PETA, DARE, Save the Whales, whatever…)!
Anyone who is not too extreme. Semi hippie wasn't on the list, lol, but I'd choose them first. The love and peace type, not the dirty, smelly kind.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,275 times
Yuppies. Have children who are considered Yuppies. They are intelligent, career focused, definitely not lazy and enjoy the simple things in life: sun, sand, water, sports, music, reading, healthy eating...

Last edited by hummingbirdsthriving11857; 03-29-2015 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: mispelling of lazy

Old 03-29-2015, 02:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,806 posts, read 54,470,896 times
I think I'd go back to my teen roots, and choose hippies.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:41 PM

5,226 posts, read 3,637,448 times
My choice is obvious.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:10 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,591,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
My choice is obvious.
Oh, come on… Duck Dynasty, Atlanta suburbs and the Ford F-150 Nascar edition, are just as "yuppie" as Grey's Anatomy, Beemers, and Frat Boys (they just have a different "accent")!

Old 03-29-2015, 03:18 PM

48,186 posts, read 45,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
If you had to choose a place to retire that seemed like a pretty good "fit" in most ways (locale, weather, size, economy, etc.), but was otherwise predominantly either one "cultural extreme" or another…say, like either mostly "hippy", "yuppie", or else had a very high "redneck" quotient… which kinda place would you prefer?

For example, while "it takes all kinds", and everywhere has some sort of "mix", some places seem to 'lean' one way more than others, each with their 'downside'. Personally I tend to prefer more "rustic" values than somewhere with a high concentration of yuppies, although I don't much relate to redneck 'culture' either (Nascar, Harleys, tats, C/W music, etc.). But even as a "lib-rul", I also kinda get tired of too many 'earth mother', p.c., 'new-agey', hipper-than-thou folks too.

So if you had to choose your "annoyances", and all other things being equal, which kinda place would you find the easiest to, um "tolerate", and why?
I can deal with hippies and yuppies just fine. I've had very few problems with them. Rednecks are the one group I've had the most issues with. This goes all the way back to my childhood. I've been bullied by such types, and even today I sometimes I have issues.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:24 PM

8,787 posts, read 7,707,284 times
I'd prefer Yuppies. They are generally harmless.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:43 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,202,856 times
Laid back yuppies (country/small city-type people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or