U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:19 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,295 posts, read 3,342,153 times

Advertisements

Very interesting Thread..Amazing how we all differ regarding "What happens to our remains after:"The Final Curtain".

Having lost my wife 10 years ago and only having one immeadiate family member left (my 60 yr old wonderful daughter, who lives 14 miles from me & doesn't like to discuss these types of subjects) and being 83.......I figured, about a year ago, I'd handle it myself. ....We've lived in our respective homes here for over 35 years and are fairly well known due to our respective past employment, clubs, church membership etc.

Knowing the owners of one of the local funeral homes in our valley (local town population of approx 5500 and surrounding area of another 15,000), I spelled out "in detail" to them what I wanted and they were very cooperative and helpful. I want to take as much of the stress and pressure off of my daughter as I can by having EVERYTHING planned out ahead-of-time, and paid for...................This I have done.....including 'pre-paying for everything':....which by-the-way, has the benefit of a "Guaranteed Price".....no escalation possible, even if I live 10 years after the date of my 'Funeral Contract'!

Daughter and I are 'very close', even to the extent that she will take my dog into her home if he outlives me--(she has a "dog-run (kennel)" already set-up on her property.)

One suggestion to others:......If you only have one or two people in your life that know many of the details regarding your past life,....I would suggest that you....Right Your Own Obituary, it will remove a lot of the stress and searching-for-details that falls on the shoulders of the remaining family member.

Remember folks:....Plan Ahead, you know, like Frank Sinatra said:...I Did It My Way............
See you on THE OTHER SIDE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 12:03 AM

4,070 posts, read 1,558,304 times
My youngest grandson (college junior) has been assigned the task of taking my ashes, my wife's ashes, and both of our fur children's ashes, mix them all together and scatter us in the Pacific at Punalu'u Black Sand Beach or South Point - these are both on the Big Island. No funeral services, etc, for either me or my wife.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:30 AM

6,973 posts, read 3,870,340 times
It's surprising how many have advised the OP to have a small service at a funeral parlor or have the funeral home handle the arrangements, etc. when the OP specifically stated they didn't want one involved. It's refreshing to see people post about celebrations of the deceased's life rather than a mourning of their death.

Now is the opportune time for people who don't want the traditional routine to plan, or even for the traditionalists to do so as the man above did to relieve his only daughter of the burden. Remember, it's your life, your death and your body, so why not do it your way? A quick burial or cremation can be done without a service at all and a later date can be set for a memorial service, birthday party, celebration of life or committal to the sea, even.

Think of your pleasures in life and celebrate them after your death. Feel free to wait a few months if the timing is better. If you were always a skier, wait until next January for people to have a glass of wine at the top of the mountain. Let the golfers raise a glass at the country club in May. Let the beach bums tap a keg on the sand in August. Have a dozen friends create a feast for the chef among you or quilt up a storm for the seamstress. Take a twenty mile bike ride or a two day movie marathon. Take them all out to the old ball game. Let your friends find out more about you even when you're gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement