U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 2,996 times

Advertisements

Yes GregW I told my wife that I was concerned the "hobby" aspect would quickly become "work" and if it did not satisfy my social needs it would quickly become non-desirable work.

Going to continue searching for volunteer/non-profit opportunities - in town (about 30 miles) there is a new Habit for Humanity project starting this summer that I may be able to help manage. I have had a few interactions with Sales team (from previous employer) as a mentor. Some possibilities for part time consulting, but so far they mainly wanted me to take on a full-time role that required re-location to large metro area - that is not what I want to do.
Also need to hang out at the golf course now that it is warming enough to play
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 12:53 PM

6,239 posts, read 4,721,373 times
[quote=richdown;39048359]....- in town (about 30 miles) ......

You have chosen to live in the middle of farm country 30 miles from a town and then complain about the lack of opportunities, especially social opportunities.

I have always been an introverted technical type person who is a loner and half time hermit. Even so, I could not live that way. Even a week living with that sort of isolation would drive me up the wall and of course the winter only makes that worse.

You make choices and then complain about the outcome. I don't think the rest of us could offer any advice that would help.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:58 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,559,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richdown View Post
I was let go after a working at same place for 31 years at age 50. It was after an acquisition and my services really were no longer required.
Good news is I had planned to "be able" to retire at 50 so financially we are doing ok.

Bad news is most all of my "friends" were from work and we were so busy there was little activity outside work - they are still busy.

I have many projects to keep my day full (recently built my house and am finishing it still, we have some land so I have a large garden, wood working projects, etc) - all of these are solo activities
I am getting very lonely (trying to figure out what that means)

Really enjoy "not working" - much lower BP, getting more exercise, spending time with family that I did not have time before - but I go days (sometimes weeks) without talking to anyone outside of my family.

Anyway found this forum and enjoy reading what others post - felt the need to say something to "someone"

That's all.

I'll be retiring before the end of the year at 61. I've been thinking as a single person how I'll "do" it knowing I need some challenges and social interaction. I'm also in California , but grew up in Souith Dakota so am going back for three weeks this summer to explore possibly living in Sioux Falls as either a domicile or a place to spend more time (cheaper, family there, no state income tax, etc.)...

So far, I'm going to do a bucket list trip to New York state to see Niagra Falls and Cooperstown shortly after I retire...then a month long trip to somewhere warm abroad for a month or so (I travel now on vacations so this will be easy)...that will take me into December. Then I'm not sure. I dont think you have to have an exact plan because I think it sort of evolves. I d on't know for sure how I"ll feel about living in South Dakota for example vs elsewhere, etc...or how to "do" it....I do have a broad plan though and enough money to live...to me, that's the most important...

I defintely know I'll need some challenge, a reason to get out of bed, and friends...social interaction..how I'll do that I'm not sure of yet...

Old 04-01-2015, 01:24 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,586,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Volunteer. Find a part time job.
Yep, definitely look into volunteer work, especially in social services dealing with the elderly and disabled, which there's always plenty need for most everywhere. It can be very rewarding emotionally, and you may discover that those well-honed "problem solving" skills will really be put to good use. There are even a few part time jobs available doing it. And since you're not dependent on the income, you'll also enjoy a lot more freedom from the typical 'politics' & 'b.s.' of most other jobs, and certainly more than the sorta folks who 'need' to do it for a living. Also along the way you'll likely develop or rediscover some other skills & talents you probably have, but never paid much attention to!

So unless you're the type who just wants play golf all day, or otherwise sit around waiting for the grave, on the whole have personally found early retirement to be a surprising process of "re-invention". And with most of us living much longer and still enjoying good health, IMHO the whole idea of retirement is undergoing some major rethinking anyway. And BTW, maybe also think carefully about moving even further out into the country. Just imagine what it might be like if, go forbid, either you or your wife were suddenly 'gone' and the other partner had to adapt to being totally on their own out there. Good luck!

"He Not Busy Being Born Is Busy Dying" – Bob Dylan

Old 04-01-2015, 01:40 PM

30,679 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Welcome to retirement.

My employer booted me out onto pension after 20 years.

We bought land out in a forest, built a house and now we have been learning what crops work and various livestock.

It can be a lot of fun

Old 04-01-2015, 01:48 PM

51,901 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richdown View Post
I was let go after a working at same place for 31 years at age 50. It was after an acquisition and my services really were no longer required.
Good news is I had planned to "be able" to retire at 50 so financially we are doing ok.

Bad news is most all of my "friends" were from work and we were so busy there was little activity outside work - they are still busy.

I have many projects to keep my day full (recently built my house and am finishing it still, we have some land so I have a large garden, wood working projects, etc) - all of these are solo activities
I am getting very lonely (trying to figure out what that means)

Really enjoy "not working" - much lower BP, getting more exercise, spending time with family that I did not have time before - but I go days (sometimes weeks) without talking to anyone outside of my family.

Anyway found this forum and enjoy reading what others post - felt the need to say something to "someone"

That's all.
Get involved in something outside the house.

Volunteer to be a school crossing guard or look around and see if there is a morning walking group or maybe an exercise class or club? Some churches, malls etc. have walking groups.

I know exactly how you feel as I had to uproot at age 22 and move to a city where I knew almost no one. It really sucked.

Check out some of the wood-working, gardening forums too.

Also, consider picking up a new hobby. I did this last year and am loving it.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 2,996 times
jrklingy I appreciate your point on our living location - I did not intend to complain about my situation (I did reread my initial post and and can see how one would interpret it as complaining)
- my point was intended to be more one of retrospection as I have come to realize several things I enjoyed about where we choose to live and my particular hobbies - these were good escapes from the crazy busy environment of my working world and nice for when I had a day or two off and for evenings to enjoy with my wife - now that I don't have that same work schedule my location and my hobbies are more isolating than providing a short escape.

Also note we are not quite that far out - the project is 30 miles away on the other side of town - we are actually just 14 miles out in the country with several small towns around.
One key to the location is both our parents are aging and this location places us between both sets of parents ~ 15 miles from each.

Submariner I have not yet started with any livestock but we have a large garden and I am adding a bramble patch and some grapevines. - I enjoy eating what is ripe today:-)

Old 04-01-2015, 02:58 PM

527 posts, read 1,089,577 times
RichDown
Just a suggestion

There is web site MEETUP.com
You put in your location and how far you want to draw circle,
What comes up are many local groups that are from social, dating, hobby, dancing, hiking, boating just a theme, groups

Scan thru them and see if anything interests you

Just might make some new friends that share your interests.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:04 PM

7,110 posts, read 8,149,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You are too young to just do things to fill your days and wait to die.
Does anybody really do this??? Why would anybody fill their days and 'wait to die'???

Old 04-01-2015, 03:33 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,641,562 times
Start everyday with being thankful for what you have, 99% of those living maybe just surviving in this world dont have what you have.. Did you know that if you make $39,000.00 a year you are in the TOP 1% of The World Income Wise??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or