U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:40 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,593,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbseer View Post
Don't let the so-called 'retirement experts' abounding in the media make you think you can't just relax in retirement and enjoy life after working 9-5 for decades. It seems they all think retirees need to 're-invent' themselves, find second careers, turn a hobby into a job, etc. What a bunch of BS!

Remember, every day is Saturday now. You can go out and do something new and exciting, or just spend a quiet day reading or go to a mid-day movie. Join a gym and stay in shape to keep your health and stay out of the hospital. Change your diet to less beef, more fish vegetables fruits and nuts. You'll be amazed when the pounds melt away.
I doubt the "media" has anything to do with it. Some folks just have different needs and ways of adding "meaning" to their lives, regardless which age they're at. And a lot of it also probably depends on how much your previous career was gratifying and was maybe even a part of your "identity", or whether it was simply a "job" (aka, a way to pay the bills). So if it was mostly the latter, I'd probably welcome some "relief" too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Like many, I am done with the corporate world of work. I have no interest in finding a different career. If I needed the money I would have stayed in the same career and ideally the same job for a bit longer.

I have never done golf. That is an old man's hobby from a generation or two ago. I am not a gardener. I long since learned that gardening for food costs way more than I could hope to recover. I like flowers but find that the flowers require very little work for a normal household garden.

I found a retirement house within walking distance of a major University. That is part of where I spend my time. I am also lucky because the U has a very large OLLI program.

I travel a lot...more than 50% of the time since I retired. I am planning for shorter trips but still plan to travel extensively. I do fine art photography and work very hard at improving my results. I have reached a point where my work is being accepted by some galleries and in juried exhibitions. I am started to call myself an emerging artist rather than a retiree. Fortunately I do not need a career in photography and I can enjoy the expressive and creative aspects and pick and choose what I do.
Congratulations, I can relate! Although after a longtime career in the arts, which I enjoyed every single day, have now found myself going in a totally different direction, volunteering and working p/t in the social services. I still keep my hand in the arts, but it's also clear that my primary "calling" has changed these days. Though it's still something I enjoy and find gratifying, rather than feeling I "have" to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,384,060 times
Mostly leisure, but after I complete some health care issues for family members that are becoming quite serious and require more and more assistance.

I have a few "things I would like to try" that could generate income, but it would be more in a hobby aspect.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:58 PM

18,121 posts, read 22,978,628 times
I still find there isn't enough time in the day to get everything done. The difference is, things don't have to get done on any particular time deadline. So, I'm not bored by any means. But, I can prioritize the way I want to, and if things don't get done, they don't get done. And I can do them at my own pace.

For instance, I might tell myself I'm going to put that shelf up over my kitchen sink tomorrow, finally. Then, I wake up and it's a gloriously sunny day, and I look at the dog and say, to heck with the shelf, let's to to the woods! And she always agrees to that one :-)

And stuff still happens. I'm having computer issues that took up hours of my time last night and this morning. Life still happens, but I have the flexibility to deal with things as they come up, without the world coming to an end because I might miss a deadline, etc., etc.

I cannot fathom how I got everything done that I did at home, in addition to working a 40 hour week. Just the thought of it completely exhausts me now.

But, to your question, I am working with a friend to start a small part-time business where we will sell handmade things on Etsy. I'm decorating my tiny apartment - painting furniture, putting up shelves, repurposing an old dresser into a workbench, bought an I-phone and intend to learn how to use an I-Phone, hope to eventually find time to volunteer at the food bank. I just keep busy and try to keep some creative juices flowing, too. But, I have no plans to become famous or rich or notable in any way, and that's so freeing. I'm so over potential :-)

Old 04-02-2015, 10:21 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,815,442 times
I'd say I'm at about 80-85% leisure.

After over 8 years of retirement, I have a difficult time believing how lucky I am here. It is nothing but great, any problems I've had have nothing to do with being retired.

Though I momentarily contemplated it, I never really thought I'd take up golf in retirement, so that hasn't been a void in my life at all. Golf seems to be disappearing pretty rapidly anyway, despite predictions a decade or so ago that baby boomer retirement was going to be a major plus for golf:

More golf courses closed than opened in the U.S. in 2013 for the eighth straight year, according to the National Golf Foundation.

A total of 14 18-hole courses opened last year, up from 13.5 in 2012, while 157.5 courses were closed during the year, three more than a year earlier, the Jupiter, Florida-based organization said in a statement on its website. The organization counts every nine holes as 0.5 of a course.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-straight-year

Old 04-02-2015, 11:41 PM

679 posts, read 617,917 times
Our retirement is mostly leisure but since we moved to another state/culture we've had to learn to adapt a bit. It's so expensive here that things like trying to make cooking at home more fun, entertaining and varied can be a challenge, we have to find ways to have fun and relax without spending money like evening sunset walks, swimming, snorkeling, etc.

Leisurely re-invention I guess, learning the new skills of taking better care of ourselves while still living very frugally!

Old 04-02-2015, 11:58 PM

6,835 posts, read 3,869,983 times
For me it's been reinvention, but in a somewhat leisurely way .

Old 04-03-2015, 05:06 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times
Default It's not either/or, not all-or-nothing.

As other posters have pointed out, either implicitly or explicitly, everyone arrives at his own combination of various activities, which might include very few activities or even none at all. Some type A's might even have schedules which are equivalent to working full time. It's all good, with one caveat: the medical epidemiologists tell us that if one becomes socially isolated it's a risk factor for poor health and reduced longevity.

Some level of contact with fellow human beings beyond saying good afternoon to a cashier seems to be necessary for most people, although that level, again, will vary. My point is the level is not zero except in very rare cases.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:10 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,061,406 times
Go for leisure. Or at least don't get yourself too involved in things that it takes over your life.

I tried the volunteer group, but I did not agree with the head person, so quit that - I just donate money now. I did a stint in dog rescue for a while. Of course I am keeping the dogs I have until they cross the bridge, but also now only donate money to those causes. Some crazy stories in the animal rescue world. I could not do what they do -24/7.

So I see myself kind of tied down for the next five years at least until the oldest 4 dogs pass. I still manage to go on the occasional trip and leave them in good hands. But it is a commitment that I have to manage.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:07 AM

3,461 posts, read 1,856,983 times
I'm only about two years from retirement, and I can't wait, what it will look like, I don't know yet. I'm looking forward to a time of exploration. I think most people are who they are, tough to change that, so a type A will always be obsessive no matter that it's their job, or attacking a golf or tennis game. For the past 40- 50 years, one third of my day has been spoken for, another third or so is required for sleep, the last third is "my" time to commute and take care of daily chores. It's going to be exciting what to decide to do with an entire third of my day given back to me. IMHO it's time to explore how you want the final phase of your life to define you, maybe how you can leave your legacy on the world or maybe how you were able to walk away and live for the moment by being happy and loving your family and freinds. Both can be poignant.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:32 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
Well you have time for plenty of both since at least half your waking life is free. Golf is no more expensive than fishing or hunting or most things unless you make it from what I have seen. I personally associate with people from 35-75 ;so wouldn't like just retired to live by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement