U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 AM

14,341 posts, read 15,163,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Retirement: leisure or "re-invention"?
For me it will be both. I'm quite looking forward to the opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 10:31 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,602,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well you have time for plenty of both since at least half your waking life is free. Golf is no more expensive than fishing or hunting or most things unless you make it from what I have seen. I personally associate with people from 35-75 ;so wouldn't like just retired to live by.
Yes, health, attitude & how "young" you feel seem to be pretty important parts of it. And if you're still active, with a reasonable expectation of living maybe at least another 20-25 years or so following retirement at say around 62… well for some "perspective", then just imagine where you were 25 years earlier (in your late 30's)… and how much has happened since then!

And even aside from the question of "2nd careers" and working or not, just hanging out around the golf & canasta set personally drives me bugs, especially since the "geezer" end of the aging pool also seems to include more than its share of humorless 'cranky' sorts who haven't aged all that well (and who'll certainly let you know about it)!

USA Today: Boomers reinvent themselves in retirement
Before, retirement was a destination. You had your retirement party and bought your condo in Florida. Now it's a process.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:25 PM

34,712 posts, read 33,745,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
It's no secret that with more folks living longer, the whole idea of "retirement" is undergoing some changes. So has retirement proved more or less what you 'expected' it to be like? And do you find that you spend most of your time in mainly recreational and "leisure" sorts of activities (golf, gardening, classses, travel, etc.)? Or instead has it become a time more for (re)discovering & developing other skills & interests, doing new kinds of work, or maybe even starting a "2nd career" (aka, "re-invention")?
Retired 8 years. Retirement is not what I expected it to be like in that "re-invention kind of way" all of the retirement books/seminars/news articles talk about.

All of the bad habits I had before I retired came right along with me. I still procrastinate. I still hate housework. I still don't eat right. I still prefer exercising my mind rather than my body. I still don't get enough sleep. I still hate shopping. I still like solitary things over socializing. Having more time in retirement, didn't change a thing with the bad habits.

I still do the things I liked to do before I retired: taking classes, reading, doing road trips, word games, political discussion, driving, analysis, research, watching movies (drama, horror, action) and documentaries. I did pick up a photography hobby in retirement and since I have always liked being in and around competition, I like competing in photography contests. Because of the photography hobby I have also developed an interest in bird behavior. I've joined two photography clubs and my solo road trips are spent visiting wildlife refuges, forests and taking photos. I enjoy editing photographs on the computer. I am also in a nonfiction book discussion group which fits nicely with my reading enjoyment. I taught computer research for awhile to retirees but can no longer stand for lengths of time to do that anymore,

Point is, I didn't morph into some swell new person in retirement like I thought I would. Did anyone or did you just expand doing the things you liked to do before you retired?

Old 04-04-2015, 07:12 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,772,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Retired 8 years. Retirement is not what I expected it to be like in that "re-invention kind of way" all of the retirement books/seminars/news articles talk about.

All of the bad habits I had before I retired came right along with me. I still procrastinate. I still hate housework. I still don't eat right. I still prefer exercising my mind rather than my body. I still don't get enough sleep. I still hate shopping. I still like solitary things over socializing. Having more time in retirement, didn't change a thing with the bad habits.

I still do the things I liked to do before I retired: taking classes, reading, doing road trips, word games, political discussion, driving, analysis, research, watching movies (drama, horror, action) and documentaries. I did pick up a photography hobby in retirement and since I have always liked being in and around competition, I like competing in photography contests. Because of the photography hobby I have also developed an interest in bird behavior. I've joined two photography clubs and my solo road trips are spent visiting wildlife refuges, forests and taking photos. I enjoy editing photographs on the computer. I am also in a nonfiction book discussion group which fits nicely with my reading enjoyment. I taught computer research for awhile to retirees but can no longer stand for lengths of time to do that anymore,

Point is, I didn't morph into some swell new person in retirement like I thought I would. Did anyone or did you just expand doing the things you liked to do before you retired?
As you so often do, LauraC, you have written an astute and perceptive post. I imagine most of us are just like you - I know I am. I don't mean my interests are the same as yours, although a few of them are. I mean that I am basically the same person I always was, warts and all. And like you, I did pick up a new interest to go along with the old ones. Perhaps one difference between us is that I never expected to "morph into some swell new person in retirement".

I never thought very deeply about what life would be like for me in retirement; I did continue two of my hobby/moonlighting activities connected with riding motorcycles (now discontinued) so perhaps that element of continuity relieved me of the need to think deeply about the future. I did know I wanted to take a LONG road trip, which I did even though it got delayed a year by my mother's death and the consequent need to be available for a couple or three months to work with my sister on settling our mother's affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement