U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:35 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,850,879 times

Advertisements

Here in Pennsylvania, you receive your application for renewal in the mail; sign it and return it to the DMV with your check. You will then receive in the mail a Camera Card, which entitles you to go to the nearest center and take a number and wait to get your picture taken. If you don't like the picture, they'll take it again. When you're satisfied, they make up your new license, hand it to you and you're done.

If they ask me to retest, I'll do so. If I can't pass I'll have no problem turning in my license. Then I'll call a cab, go to the nearest bridge, and jump. Not really, but it will take away my independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 09:39 AM

10,433 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Here is a good website listing the requirements by State:
Low Vision Resources Center — State Vision Screening and Standards for License to Drive

Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 AM

4,235 posts, read 7,280,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Try to avoid it in Massachusetts. My husband is from England and was advised to go to driving school--this to a person who prides himself on his safe driving, has driven race cars all his life, repairs vintage MGs.

To save the $800 school fees, that seemed unnecessary, he just went to a registry, filled in the forms and tried to take the test. He had passed the written test on a computer already. Well, they treated him like a criminal and flunked him on some technicality before he ever got out of the parking lot.

He had to pay money, go home and try to book another appointment. It took about three months. He tried again. This time we went to a different registry. Treated like dirt again, no one to tell you what to do. Someone came to give him his road test and we didn't know we should have filled out a form, we did it quickly and took the test. FAIL.

No good reason but what can you do? My husband talked with the local police and they told him that since he is over 60 the registry doesn't like to give out drivers licenses. Great. They said to sign up with a school for a few lessons and that's what he did. Apparently it's the usual corruption and the drivers ed teachers probably pay the registry guys. We were kind of disgusted but sure enough, he found a nice lady who let him practice in the drivers ed car and she said he was a good driver.

He booked another test, waiting a few months and -- FAIL. The teacher was outraged. She said NEXT time she would book the test and go with him in the drivers ed car. She was able to get another test scheduled within days. She said people usually pass when she goes with them, hee hee hee. The day before the test, the phone rang and it was her. She said--The last time you FAILED, they have you down as PASSED, Get to a registry before they change their minds.

So we went, paid the money, and got the license. It's a corrupt system. The eye test and the written test he passed easily but you are at the whim of the sadistic registry guys for the road test and they like to throw their weight around. If we had known how the system really works we wouldn't have bothered trying to save $800 for driving school. Then you pay for the license and of course there will be car inspections, yearly excise tax, registration, high insurance. In a word, it was a nightmare. Then they don't even bother testing older people again.
I see there is a reason MA has all those restrictive Gun Laws also. Makes sense now.

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-03-2015 at 06:10 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 09:56 AM

19,928 posts, read 18,947,529 times
what In_newengland describes is far, far worse. I couldn't believe my eyes as I was reading that.

About twenty years ago it was so bad that some politicians promised to reform it. For a while it was better--much shorter lines and faster service. You didn't have to take a day off from work to go to the registry!! But now they're just as rude as they used to be and it's just as arbitrary and confusing. At least now you take a number and sit. Before, you'd enter a jam packed room with no signs or clues, get into one of the lines to find out what line to get into!

If any state politician wants to get elected, looks like they could make promises about the registry again.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:15 AM

3,746 posts, read 4,229,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Here is a good website listing the requirements by State:
Low Vision Resources Center State Vision Screening and Standards for License to Drive
Here's a more recent link for older drivers:

License Renewal Procedures

It is interesting to see the changes adopted by various states over the past few years.

Maryland does not discriminate based on age. Eight year renewals and you only need to personally appear at the DMV for every other renewal. Thus, my father will not need to appear at the DMV until he is 98 years old.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:42 PM

10,433 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Here's a more recent link for older drivers:

License Renewal Procedures

It is interesting to see the changes adopted by various states over the past few years.

Maryland does not discriminate based on age. Eight year renewals and you only need to personally appear at the DMV for every other renewal. Thus, my father will not need to appear at the DMV until he is 98 years old.
Thanks for the link, but it doesn't give details about the vision test requirements, and for many seniors our eyesight is declining and it's good to know what is required.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:07 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,547,683 times
Thankfully, all of our DMV offices are private franchises and everyone has been most pleasant. No surly state employees and the longest we've waited has been about 15 minutes. Reregistration has always been done by mail. I have no idea of what license renewal will consist as when we moved here we were given seven year licenses. I'll be finding out in August of next year at age 70. But of course, that's not old. However, it looks like I'll only get a three year license anyway.

Since my license will expire on my 70th birthday, perhaps if I renew a few days earlier I can get a six year license. It's worth trying.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 04-03-2015 at 05:17 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 05:29 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,050,959 times
I applied for an AZ driver's license in October.

I handed them my IL license which has restriction (needs corrected lenses). They issued a AZ license with NO restrictions. They gave me no road test, no written test, and no eye test.

The drivers license is good for 9.5 years until my 65th birthday.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:24 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,586,656 times
Arizona happily renewed my mother's driver's license when she was 85 AFTER we (her children) had already convinced her to stop driving. It took a three car accident THAT SHE CAUSED before she agreed to hand over the keys. Thank heavens no one was hurt but she damaged the other two cars and totaled the one owned by yours truly that she was driving. But when her license expired, she insisted on being taken to the MVD to get a new one. She could have gotten a state-issued ID that wasn't a driver's license but apparently there's shame in that, which I fail to understand. She had to pass an eye exam but there was no other push-back from the state about giving an 85-year-old with a bad driving record a new license.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 PM

17,691 posts, read 11,239,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I was shocked when I watched a clerk helping a woman of about 80 years, who clearly couldn't see for squat, basically cheat on the eye exam in rural CA. Each time she had her read the line of letters, the lady would miss a couple letters and then she would ask her to "look again at the third letter" and then coach her on it. After the fourth or fifth row of letters was attempted, she again asked her "are you sure the third letter is an E?" or some such, "could it be an F?". Then yes of course it's an F! Amazingly she passed her, after attempting the test for about 15 minutes, and gave her a license. Clearly the lady could not see well enough to read traffic signs.

I had exactly that same experience here in Florida. I was at the DMV and a feeble old man was renewing his license. He couldn't read any of the lines but the clerk kept saying "Look at that 4th letter again and tell me what it looks like." After a lot of prompting, he was over getting his picture taken for his brand new license !

I felt a whole lot safer on the road that day !

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement