U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 03:43 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,158,582 times

Advertisements

I'm taking photo's out of frames and name tags off of sports awards and putting everything out there for the next community garage sale - what doesn't sell is going to goodwill or the East Valley Lutheran Thrift shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 03:47 PM

16,334 posts, read 10,327,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We don't itemize, so we never get a writeoff for our donation. But, I do like that idea. How would I go about finding a nonprofit fundraiser? (I'm not terribly thrilled about giving them to Goodwill or Salvation Army because they are too much about religion, but it may come to that.)
locally, they sometimes have auctions (and dinners and raffles) to help people whose house burned, need more medical help than their insurance will cover-even one to help with funeral costs of an 11 yr old who died unexpectedly. Maybe you could look for something like that?

There are also organizations that have annual auction-a couple of libraries, womens shelters, etc.

If nothing else, have a yard sale and donate the money.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We don't itemize, so we never get a writeoff for our donation. But, I do like that idea. How would I go about finding a nonprofit fundraiser? (I'm not terribly thrilled about giving them to Goodwill or Salvation Army because they are too much about religion, but it may come to that.)
Is there a nonprofit children's center or homeless shelter near you? A food bank that has fundraisers?

Are they new, or kind of "used"?

Old 04-08-2015, 07:40 PM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Yes ! I own "Ballet Cookbook" and it sells for $200 now

Before cutting up unusual cookbooks, people might want to check the going prices
I'm very rough and careless with books, I'm one of these people who can't eat without reading, and so many of my books get messed up with food stains and magic markers.

I've given up taking books to a used bookstore as they're way too fussy, they look through the book, and if there's some magic marker highlighting, they won't buy it, even for a dollar!

I'll never understand why used bookstores don't have a separate section for books that aren't in perfect condition.

So off to Salvation Army they go!

Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
Got rid of a bunch of boxes that aren't sturdy enough for moving. I can see my cocktail table in the living room again.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:40 AM

cleared off a shelf that had mostly junk on it: some books (relocated), financial type papers (also relocated) and misc papers tha tshould have been recycled long ago.
Now my Needlepoint News magazines are off the floor and on a shelf.

Today going through a box of small frames and probably getting rid of most.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:25 AM

84 posts, read 118,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is there a nonprofit children's center or homeless shelter near you? A food bank that has fundraisers?

Are they new, or kind of "used"?
You might also see what domestic violence shelters or refugee assistance groups are nearby; one of my old tables went to a family that was moving into a new apartment after time in a shelter, and my big stockpots to a Somali family.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:54 PM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm very rough and careless with books, I'm one of these people who can't eat without reading, and so many of my books get messed up with food stains and magic markers.

I've given up taking books to a used bookstore as they're way too fussy, they look through the book, and if there's some magic marker highlighting, they won't buy it, even for a dollar!

I'll never understand why used bookstores don't have a separate section for books that aren't in perfect condition.

So off to Salvation Army they go!
Forget about taking books to a used bookstore.

Last move, I took a Hugh box of books to a used bookstore, many hardcover, all in good to excellent condition. They offered me $1 total---for the whole box It was like 30--40 books, so, that comes to about 2 cents/book! I took my dollar and left, I was moving and just wanted to get rid of stuff.

Same for used kids clothes. I took a bunch of barely-used, nice, designer dresses, etc to a kid's consignment store. She looks them over with a disdainful look, points out invisible flaws, then, offered me some ridiculous price, like $4 for 10 items. Look, I told her I would give them away rather than sell for nothing. I saw a mother with her little girl in the parking lot going in, and asked her what size her daughter was. The exact size of the clothes I had, which included some authentic Disney costumes, complete with ALL accessories, also, some nice Easter dresses, a pair of shoes NIB---never worn, didn't fit. The child was delighted with the free gifts, so was the mother.

But the store owner saw us and came huffing out, said she had called police, it was illegal to undercut her business by selling similar merchandise in front of her store. Well, I could perhaps see that point, but---I didn't sell the items, I just gave them to the child. Besides, we weren't' directly in front of her store, its not like I was standing there saying "get your stuff free---don't buy from this place" I'd parked a bit off to the side. I told her if she'd given me a reasonable price she could have sold my clothes for a tidy profit in a matter of minutes, too bad, so sad

Another item you literally can't give away---food! I mean, packaged, canned, bottled itesm, in good condition, not expired. I tried calling various food banks, they weren't interested, and even had a snitty attitude.They said the wanted items in bulk, like from grocery stores, so they could do better inventory control. I checked various grocery stores that have the food barrels. They said you could only donate items you bought in the store. Now HEB has done away with the food barrels and instead sells a bag of low-cost items for their shelf price at the checkout. You can buy it then then they place it in their"barrel to donate to food banks---again, I was running out of time, it was a cross-country move, I couldn't pack and ship such items, so....I threw them away!

Old 04-13-2015, 09:10 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,338,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Forget about taking books to a used bookstore.

Last move, I took a Hugh box of books to a used bookstore, many hardcover, all in good to excellent condition. They offered me $1 total---for the whole box It was like 30--40 books, so, that comes to about 2 cents/book! I took my dollar and left, I was moving and just wanted to get rid of stuff.

Same for used kids clothes. I took a bunch of barely-used, nice, designer dresses, etc to a kid's consignment store. She looks them over with a disdainful look, points out invisible flaws, then, offered me some ridiculous price, like $4 for 10 items. Look, I told her I would give them away rather than sell for nothing. I saw a mother with her little girl in the parking lot going in, and asked her what size her daughter was. The exact size of the clothes I had, which included some authentic Disney costumes, complete with ALL accessories, also, some nice Easter dresses, a pair of shoes NIB---never worn, didn't fit. The child was delighted with the free gifts, so was the mother.

But the store owner saw us and came huffing out, said she had called police, it was illegal to undercut her business by selling similar merchandise in front of her store. Well, I could perhaps see that point, but---I didn't sell the items, I just gave them to the child. Besides, we weren't' directly in front of her store, its not like I was standing there saying "get your stuff free---don't buy from this place" I'd parked a bit off to the side. I told her if she'd given me a reasonable price she could have sold my clothes for a tidy profit in a matter of minutes, too bad, so sad

Another item you literally can't give away---food! I mean, packaged, canned, bottled itesm, in good condition, not expired. I tried calling various food banks, they weren't interested, and even had a snitty attitude.They said the wanted items in bulk, like from grocery stores, so they could do better inventory control. I checked various grocery stores that have the food barrels. They said you could only donate items you bought in the store. Now HEB has done away with the food barrels and instead sells a bag of low-cost items for their shelf price at the checkout. You can buy it then then they place it in their"barrel to donate to food banks---again, I was running out of time, it was a cross-country move, I couldn't pack and ship such items, so....I threw them away!
I bring food items to our local food pantry and have no problems like yourself. Don't know what part of the country you live in, but, if you could please post it so I will never live there. You have a plethora of problems with everything...

Old 04-14-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I bring food items to our local food pantry and have no problems like yourself. Don't know what part of the country you live in, but, if you could please post it so I will never live there. You have a plethora of problems with everything...
I agree. I've bought buy one, get one free (locally known as BOGO) and taken half to a food pantry. One can of this, a couple cans of that.

No refusals, no snottiness. Just an attitude of gratitude.

All of which is off topic.

Today's project: there's a box sitting on the floor of the spare room. I have no idea what's in it but haven't opened it in 2 yrs or so. Unless it's summer clothes, it's probably going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement