U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2016, 08:32 AM

7,816 posts, read 4,409,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Think twice about this as once it is gone you cannot get it back! "Seller's" Remorse will always haunt you. You can always get rid of it later.
So true; I have many such regrets! And yet, you can't keep everything. It's a very difficult call to make (correctly, in retrospect).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 11:17 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,956,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
actually the only ones of those I have is the bread maker, hand held mixer,and electric skillet. Also have a toaster and a yogurt maker.

Look for duplicate uses. What does a stick blender do that a blender doesn't? Why the electric skillet if you have a stove?

'hide' something from yourself; pretend it doesn't exist. Do you miss it? Is there something else you already have you can use instead?

Does once or twice a year justify the space?

Not going to be easy but that doesn't mean impossible...
Actually - if I had to get rid of my stick blender or my blender (I have both) - I'd get rid of the blender. I use the stick blender much more often (to puree/liquify sauces/soups/etc.). It's less messy - easier to clean - and you don't have to worry about hot liquids burning you when you transfer them from a pot into the blender or the like. Robyn

Old 11-05-2016, 12:08 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,843,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
. What does a stick blender do that a blender doesn't? It is way easier to store and I use it often for sauces, soups.Also use blender for smoothies and shakes with frozen fruit and milk/yogurtWhy the electric skillet if you have a stove? I say I use it for things which call for a particular temperature and when I need an extra burner. But I use it so seldom I think it might go.

Does once or twice a year justify the space?It is so hard to find real ice cream lately. Have you noticed it's all called Frozen Dairy Treat or something like that with gums and all sorts of crap. so that ice cream maker is a keeper especially in the summer.

Not going to be easy but that doesn't mean impossible.I'm just going to have to bite the bullet I know. Just cutting down on all my plastic storage items was hard enough but these electric items will be really hard.

just finished going through my craft supplies. Finally admitted, if it doesn't involve cloth (embroidery, quilting, etc) I'm not going to do it.
The fancy papers, paper making stuff, drawing and painting supplies, all gone. I did keep the doll house kit I got as a Christmas gift many years ago. I still have the illusion I will someday do it.
Now this is where I will surely have a stroke. I could open a fabric store with all the fabric I have. Plus yarn, crewel embroidery floss, counted cross stitch books and fabric, hooks, needles, bobbins, magazines, patterns, idea notebooks, quilting frame my dh made for me, elastics, threads, notions of every kind , containers of buckles, buttons,PLUS 2 sewing machines, 2 embroidery machines and 1 serger I never mastered. Lord help me!

Old 11-05-2016, 09:00 PM

I went through the linen closet in the master bathroom for the first time in 10 years!!!

I filled a big bag with lots of king size sheets and pillow cases. Some were as old as 30 years (and just now getting broken in ) I put a notice on Nextdoor to give them away for free. If nobody wants them I'll cut them down and sew about 6-7 layers together to give to my local shelter for dog and cat beds.
Funny thing is we usually just wash sheets and put the same ones back on the bed except I like flannel in the colder months and very worn cotton ones in the summer.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:21 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,475,327 times
I am now so glad I kept my yarn. I'm making scarves for the homeless. I wish I'd kept my bookshelf & computer desk. I'll never find ones like them again.

I'm debating a few winter things to give to the homeless. Will I use them or miss them this winter? Don't know. So will probably keep them one more year to make sure.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:37 AM

sold another bicycle this morning. All 4 and the rack GONE! Woot! Woot!
On to the dining room furniture from my mother's home. Will list it this week.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:38 AM

3,457 posts, read 2,340,668 times
Ack! Fabric! I have a lot of fabric! (Used to be a great fabric outlet around here.) And I LOVE sewing. But I unfortunately do not have much time for it, due to working and all the other "life" stuff. I keep thinking I will get to sew more when I retire, but that's a decade or more off. And if I am honest with myself, there is plenty of fabric I am unlikely to ever use. But what to get rid of? and how? <sob> So for now, it sits in its Rubbermaid totes.

I also have a lot of yarn, but not nearly as much as I have fabric.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:22 PM

Rightsizing---not downsizing

https://www.facebook.com/HuffingtonP...c_ref=NEWSFEED

Old 11-10-2016, 08:44 PM

Tonight we listed on our local buy and sell Facebook page and Nextdoor 5 of my 9 Whitley Bay Santas I bought in the late 80s. It was hard to do but we will not have room to display them in our new house anyway.

I also listed about 10 different Christmas items from $5 to $300. I sure hope they sell. This weekend we will list 10 more items as we are aiming for 10 items every week.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:05 AM

13,345 posts, read 25,601,842 times
Took boxes of books and CDs to the library for their sale.
Took extra sheets to the furniture refinishing workshop for polishing clothes- kept two sets of sheets.
Decided to keep the Chinese wedding armoire for a TV since the antique place where I got it no longer buys back.

Have decided where everything should go, just have to get up the energy to get stuff in the car.
Will sell the pinball machine back to the pinball people next time they're up this way. 'sigh' It just won't fit into the new house. (1975 Gottlieb Bronco model)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement