U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2016, 08:36 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,777,962 times

Advertisements

found and trashed 3 big boxes of our grown kids high school papers after we got their OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 01:43 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,436 times
It took me 5 days to completely clean out 3 closets and 1 dresser which contained mostly our 'business' work attire (wool suits, pants, skirts, jackets, cashmere sweaters, overcoats and silk shirts). They are high quality, classic clothing pieces but I do not see us ever wear them again. As a matter of fact, later in my career, I rarely wore them except for important meetings or conferences.

My husband also took all our Christmas stuffs to Salvation Army along with these 4 big boxes of clothing. It would be nice to have a Christmas tree up one last time but since we will be moving hopefully early next year, we figure now is a good time to donate them. I only saved several beautiful Baby Christmas Ornaments as reminders of my daughter's babyhood.

Downsizing and preparation for moving is a lot of hard work, and sometimes it seems like a never-ending process. I think once we find a house and ready to move, we will be forced to speed thing up and it may become much easier.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:38 PM

Took almost a whole closet full of clothes which don't fit to a refugee center in our town. They need them with this cold weather. Also hired a professional ebay seller to take a big bunch of stuff off our hands. We will keep him busy for several months. We have been selling on our own but it is going very slowly.

We decided to not put up a tree this year since we are purging our home but I'm not ready to get rid of everything Christmas just yet. We aren't even going to put up a tree this year. I'm thinking of finding my tabletop tree and making that do.

called the high school to see if they wanted 2 big boxes of flute and piano music. They were happy to have them!

Old 12-10-2016, 09:45 PM

466 posts, read 290,771 times
I bagged up about 40 business suits and am giving them away! Plus a dryer! Feels good. Giving the suits to an organization that helps women trying to enter/re-enter the work force. Hitting my garage tomorrow..

Old 12-11-2016, 02:21 AM

We listed 8 Christmas pieces on ebay. They are almost new and in original boxes and once were quite collectible. I hope they sell but I hate to let them go as they are beautiful.

Also listed my Christmas china. We once entertained quite a bit but those days are over so I'm trying to move a lot of things. If these nice items don't sell I will enjoy them myself before I give anything away but they are priced to move.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:40 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
Just emptied three kitchen drawers full of plastic bags, broken fire alarms, rubber bands, etc. Oh, and mice poop. Plenty of it. Threw everything out and figured I wouldn't miss anything that might have lived with mice. Waiting for the pest guy to zap everything.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:31 AM

delivered a big bag of towels, wash cloths and toiletries (travel size) to battered women's shelter

Old 12-12-2016, 11:58 AM

3,694 posts, read 1,870,935 times
Ran the two bags of clothes and jewelry by Plato's Closet resale and wound up with $32 and took the remainder to the Goodwill.

Movie money.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:37 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
Called a service to clean out my mudroom (home of the carelessly-kept dog food and likely buffet for mice). I was going to have to do this next year when I sell the house and have just ignored the recycling or unwanted rug or whatever. There are a few things for donation (vacuum) but mostly it's just old dog dishes and odds and ends. My town dump only lets you throw away stuff in special bags and I have let this all go. One hour with a two-man service should take care of it and I can disinfect the shelves and be all ready to go next year.
These mice (soon-to-be-late mice) have encouraged me to clean out drawers and such that I have left ignored for some time now.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:01 AM

3,694 posts, read 1,870,935 times
Brought all the Pepperidge Farm cookies to work.

I'm on a diet. Didn't what them tempting me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement